Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user: are mask leaks/adjustments just something you have to live with?
New CPAP user: are mask leaks/adjustments just something you have to live with?
Hi folks! I'm happy to have found this group - so much great knowledge here.
So I'm a new papper person: just two weeks on CPAP. My pressure is good, I ALMOST have the right mask (Dreamwear full face). I"m starting to get more and better sleep per night (just cracked 7 hours). However: I'm continually slightly awakened by little mask squeaks/farts and I have to adjust my mask. They aren't "large leaks" so my pressure is still good, and my apneas are being controlled overall (more CA events than anything else).
SO I'm wondering, does this mean I still have more mask tweaking/fitting/sizing to do? Or is it just a fact of CPAP life now that I'll have to keep adjusting my mask forever? If so, will I eventually just adjust it in my sleep? 

I fear that I've traded apneas interrupting my sleep for mask leaks interrupting my sleep. Attached is a recent night.

All experiences would be helpful!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user: are mask leaks/adjustments just something you have to live with?
Hi, and welcome.  As you appear to appreciate, this has a moderately-to-severely steep learning curve.  Not just the about the condition and its treatment, but how to actually manage yourself and the new procedures and application. 

I had to learn how to sleep so that my medium nasal cushion wouldn't be displaced by my side-sleeping and my pillow.  When on my back, my jaw falls.  No matter how I'm sleeping, my lips go slack and air rushes through my nose and right back out again with minimal, if any, therapy.  So, I have to tape over my lips.

Your headgear stretches.  More at first, then less as the physical limits of some of the material reaches them.  You'll have to keep adjusting your various straps until any leaking is so innocuous that you don't really notice....ideally when you sleep, anyway.

Higher pressures cause more leakage, as a general rule.  Many complain they have to cinch down their straps so tightly that they have pain, displaced jaws, compression sores, and so on.  Somewhere, somehow, there's a sweet spot with each type of mask.  If that sweet spot is still essentially a fail, then you must research, purchase, and trial one, two, or several other types.  Sorry, it's just a fact.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user: are mask leaks/adjustments just something you have to live with?
yes mask farts are common occurrence, it happens when you have oil/sebum on your skin, there are two solution to this
1) use an deep cleaning face wash to clean your skin/face before going to bed
2)tighten your mask a bit
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel like you do about this- so thanks for asking this question! I’ll await answers with interest.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 498 8 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 506 10 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,835 10 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.