Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Do I need a Bi-Pap or higher pressure APAP?
RE: Do I need a Bi-Pap or higher pressure APAP?
Pretty disappointed no collar yet. Do you guys think I should raise by bed a little will that help with my apnea or will being flat help more? I’ll be without a machine for a few day so I want to try and lower events as much as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
raising the head of the bed might help but I don't think it'll prevent chin tucking. anything that'll hold your chin up will do in a pinch. those things used to hold the neck for sleeping in cars and airplanes for example. bonjour often suggests wrapping a towel around a necktie. Sleeprider talks of draping a pillow over his shoulder and under his neck (if I understand correctly). anyway, you can probably find something lying around that'll tide you over 'til the collar arrives. and keep pillows to a minimum height, like a couple inches.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely, whether it is a towel or a pillow, some "fill" between the shoulder and neck, when sleeping on your side will stop chin tucking. Not so much if you're committed to sleeping on your back with a pillow that is too thick. I have seen members that were sleeping in recliners or elevated beds have much worse problems than if they just stayed flat. Any aid that prevents the chin from tucking to the chest or acute neck angles, will be helpful. We have even seen people that like to sleep prone (on the stomach) have severe positional apnea because they need to turn their head sharply to the side to accommodate the mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the past, I used a small toddler size travel neck pillow under my chin. This is the kind they sell for babies to use in car seats.

I found that after a couple of years, I no longer needed it. I think I just trained myself not to "chin tuck".
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow does the APAP make a difference! My first night with out it when I was getting to sleep I could feel the resistance and I woke up with one of the worse sore throat I have ever had.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't make yourself confuse, just stay calm and go with Aircurve 10 vauto by Resmed. You will be benefited.
I had a same patient, almost with same severity, before he came to me he had tried lots of machines.
I provided him Aircurve 10 and he is living his life happily till date.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully I will have the Vauto by Tuesday or Wednesday. What are your guys opinions on settings? I haven’t used a bi-level before but it I understand there are EPAP, IPAP and difference/range between the two. Is there still a EPR setting too?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, there isn't an EPR. That is for the AirSense models. Your new baby uses "PS" (Pressure Support). EPR is subtracted from the inhale pressure on an AirSense, whereas, the PS is added to the exhale pressure setting on an AirCurve. It is ultimately the same thing, but the AirCurve does it bigger and better. . . Meaning you can go beyond 3 cm and can adjust it in .2 cm increments.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommended initial settings hee http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid367694
Mode Vauto
EPAP min 10.0
PS 4.0
Max pressure 20.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Perfect thanks, I already looked up how to get to the clinical menus so that is all good! Does Resmed have their own data reading program on computer or the phone? I believe there is a payed version that I may have access too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 93 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 375 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 578 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 442 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.