Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Do I need a Bi-Pap or higher pressure APAP?
RE: Do I need a Bi-Pap or higher pressure APAP?
I have to say even with the high min and max pressure I’m handing treatment very well and the results are life changing. The only issues I am having is that my ears pop when first turning on the machine and the neck pain with the cervical support. I got the 3M product and I lowered the center chin super part and that seemed to help a lot. I’m going to try and see if I can loosen the straps a bit and still get a good seal as I am feting some marks and irritation. I’m curious if I’m still having reras and that’s the only complaint I have with this machine. The humidifier tank is much larger a than the dreamstation and I’m not having to refil at night but, I do have a backup tank I will change out if I happen to wake up and the tank is gettting low.

I will raise the PS and see what that does to the flow limitation. What do you guys think about the min pressure I feel like it’s at a good enough pressure but if raising it will help lower RDI more I can try it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Looking good!
Post Reply Post Reply
Considering where we started, this is great.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

looking good but there are a few clusters for some reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just going to note for the record that your flow limitation acts in unusual ways and does not appear to respond to increased pressure support. Your results have not changed much in moving from PS 4.0 to 5.0 and 5.4. Flow limitation and snoring appear to vary randomly during the night and don't even seem to correspond to the small clusters of OA. On the other hand, you show no indication of central apnea and your overall results are greatly improved on bilevel vs CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Odd could trying to increase PS to 6 be a good idea to see if that gets the flow limitation under control. I don’t know enough yet to get a read on what the flow limitation is being caused by. Could it possibly be caused to the positional apena? I am using the collar though so that would he unlikely. Also could it be from the cover I have over my tube? I currently have two or 3 covers on it to keep it from raining out.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are comfortable with it, so am I. There is nothing in your results that contraindicate the use of higher pressure support, there is no guarantee it will make a big difference based on the trend I have seen so far.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I know that too much PS can cause CA in some is that correct? I’m sorda confused on why the PS would help flow limitation
Post Reply Post Reply
The best explanation I can give.
Flow Limits typically to Flow Limitation and are a resistance to breathing.
EPAP (exhale pressure) is the accepted treatment for Obstructive Apnea which is accepted as the worst form of obstructive apneic events. Thus this is used as a base pressure.
Pressure support is a 'boost' in pressure to apply additional splinting on inhalation thus treating the Flow Limitation.

PS may cause CA in susceptible individuals by flushing out too much CO2.
Post Reply Post Reply
as often as it's been described on this forum, I can't tell you the physics of pressure induced ca (co2, apneic threshold...) other than a layman's assumption that we fight overventilation by not breathing.

flow limitation is a form of restricted breathing on the lower end of the continuum of obstructive apnea, all of which is treated with pressure & pressure support when available to overcome a physical restriction. ca won't respond positively to pressure the way it's delivered in cpap & bilevel machines because ca isn't caused by restriction, but as an interesting side note, asv treats ca with a relatively short burst of pressure, nudging us to initiate an inhale.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine Higher AHI Hauty 4 88 Yesterday, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Hauty
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,224 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 150 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 224 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,704 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 918 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.