Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Do we need to change pressure?
Do we need to change pressure?
We moved from CA (near sea level) to CO (about 4,900 feet) last year. Haven't been able to have a sleep study but wonder if our pressures need to be changed. We are both set at 13 and hubby seems to be doing pretty good. My AHI seems to be going all over the place, lately I am using more water. We both have Resmed S9 with humidifiers, different masks for each of us. Have been changing air filters about every month. I don't feel like I am sleeping all that well lately. Suggestions? Comments? We did ask for sleep studies due to altitude difference, they were approved, hubby had severe back issues so we couldn't do them and now the insurance has denied them.

Also, my CPAP doesn't automatically stop blowing when I get up in the night if I don't push the button. Hubby's does automatically shut down if he takes his mask off. Sorry to be so wordy but we have no place else to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do we need to change pressure?
You are using a fixed pressure Resmed Elite, that provides full data. Resscan is not bad, but #Sleepyhead is easier to use and to understand. I recommend you install and use it. This may give you more useful information than a sleep study.

Moving to a higher altitude and dryer area is why your machine now uses more water. Relative humidity in Colorado is very low during the winter in indoor spaces. In higher altitudes, people often experience a change in AHI with an increase in clear airway or central events. Not everyone is affect, but the answer is in the Sleepyhead data. We can help you to understand the data and use it to make adjustments. There are links to tutorials for organizing data and posting it on the forum in my signature.

One last thought, you may qualify for a new CPAP machine soon, and the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is going to be what you want to replace your S9 Elite. The Airsense 10 provides pressure adjustments day to day, and through the night to meet your needs. Many people are able to use the auto CPAP to self-titratie and avoid a sleep study. Put up some data, and we can probably get you squared away for your new location. 4900 feet is not very high, and you will notice more significant changes if you stay in the mountains. It should not be a problem, but all the more reason to consider an Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum and yes, we can and will help you.

You can find a link to get your manual at the top of the page.  or click here
You should find instructions for auto off (and on) in there.

Theoretically CPAP machines compensate for altitude but we frequently see the need to change settings.

The best way to provide help would be to post a copy of your Daily Charts
The preferred software is SleepyHead (our instructions are based on SleepyHead)
The daily charts will tell us how you and your machine are working together and do the best job of helping us to give you the best advice possible.

I do suggest a separate thread for each of you to post in so recommendations do not get mixed up.

Please let us know how we can help you.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, here is the data I downloaded from my SD card. Please let me know if this gives you any information or do you need additional data? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
It would be more helpful if you look at some of our siginatures on how to orginize sleepyhead charts so we cans see whats giong on better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Misq, your overview chart is useful because it shows that you have gone from less than 1 AHI (.59) to between 2.2 and 2.8 currently. The increase in AHI is all obstructive, and you have insignificant clear airway and hypopnea. Your actual pressure is 13 cm with EPR (exhale pressure relief) setting of 3; so the actual pressures are 13 IPAP and 10 EPAP.

Given the increase in OA events, I think you need minor increases in pressure. Since you are already less than 3.0 AHI, we can go with less than 1-cm pressure increases. For starters, you can use a pressure setting of 13.6 and leave EPR at 3. This is a small increase in pressure and may not fully resolve the OA, but it's worth a look. The next step is 14 cm pressure if needed, This link will give you instructions on making changes: https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

A detailed chart will help us to see the distribution of events through the night, and we will be able to see any flow limitations and other respiratory data. It would be useful to know which nasal mask you are using. The Auto-off feature on your machine relies on detecting a large leak. Some women's nasal pillows in small size and a few nasal masks leak too slowly to trigger the machine to turn off. I assume it auto-starts? Welcome to the forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi misq2kir,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to both you and your husband as you continue CPAP therapy.
You have come to the right place for guidance, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 221 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 122 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 370 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,962 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,869 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 355 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.