Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Dreamstation Bipap Auto
Dreamstation Bipap Auto
Hi, I just started Bipap therapy 2 weeks ago I was on a Resmed Aircurve 10 s now, I thought I would try Dreamstation before I'm committed to buy, my DME seemed to be clueless setting it up, and told me it would start working right after I'm a sleep. I guess she just wanted to go home. The whole thing is tricky I have Small Fiber Neuropathy with Autonomic issues which is why I started from Cpap to BiPap, sleep study showed obstructive apneas being biggest issue, besides low oxygen. Anyways did I pick the wrong machine or is it broken? I was on IPAP 14 EPAP 4 on the Resmed 10S with no problems with AHI of .41
The last AHI I had during a nap today was 47.5! Could someone please help and advise me on how either to set this machine up right, or tell me if I need to return to it to my DME. I looked on the boards but couldn't find the answers although I'm sure I would if I had some sleep.
Kind Regards,
James 

[attachment=8832]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Bipap Auto
(10-18-2018, 10:52 AM)Gunns Wrote: Hi, I just started Bipap therapy 2 weeks ago I was on a Resmed Aircurve 10 s now, I thought I would try Dreamstation before I'm committed to buy, my DME seemed to be clueless setting it up, and told me it would start working right after I'm a sleep. I guess she just wanted to go home. The whole thing is tricky I have Small Fiber Neuropathy with Autonomic issues which is why I started from Cpap to BiPap, sleep study showed obstructive apneas being biggest issue, besides low oxygen. Anyways did I pick the wrong machine or is it broken? I was on IPAP 14 EPAP 4 on the Resmed 10S with no problems with AHI of .41
The last AHI I had during a nap today was 47.5! Could someone please help and advise me on how either to set this machine up right, or tell me if I need to return to it to my DME. I looked on the boards but couldn't find the answers although I'm sure I would if I had some sleep.
Kind Regards,
James 

Your DME set you up wrong.  this is an auto CPAP with settings of 4 to 14. You need fixed preddire with 14 on inhale and 4.0 on exhale.  In my opinion you should be using a VPAP ST which switches to IPAP if you don't spontaneously initiate a breath.  your DME is incompetent,and this must be changed.  Either get the other machine back or talk to your doctor.  You appear to be using an auto CPAP which is not the prescription. You need BiPap with 10 cm pressure support. This machine cannot be setup to do that.

It would help a lot if you included the left column with statistics and machine settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2018, 03:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 10:52 AM)Gunns Wrote: Hi, I just started Bipap therapy 2 weeks ago I was on a Resmed Aircurve 10 s now, I thought I would try Dreamstation before I'm committed to buy, my DME seemed to be clueless setting it up, and told me it would start working right after I'm a sleep. I guess she just wanted to go home. The whole thing is tricky I have Small Fiber Neuropathy with Autonomic issues which is why I started from Cpap to BiPap, sleep study showed obstructive apneas being biggest issue, besides low oxygen. Anyways did I pick the wrong machine or is it broken? I was on IPAP 14 EPAP 4 on the Resmed 10S with no problems with AHI of .41
Kind Regards,
James 

Your DME set you up wrong.  this is an auto CPAP with settings of 4 to 14. You need fixed preddire with 14 on inhale and 4.0 on exhale.  In my opinion you should be using a VPAP ST which switches to IPAP if you don't spontaneously initiate a breath.  your DME is incompetent,and this must be changed.  Either get the other machine back or talk to your doctor.  You appear to be using an auto CPAP which is not the prescription.  You need BiPap with 10 cm pressure support.  This machine cannot be setup to do that.  

It would help a lot if you included the left column with statistics and machine settings.
Thanks Sleeprider, 

Here's the statistics you asked for, I'm hoping my Dr. can help me but I'm only seeing him on Wednesday. Trying to try to get a decent sleep however in the meantime. So the Dreamstation Bipap auto isn't even helpful for my type of Apnea? I had to switch from the Cpap because I couldn't exhale at all I'm currently have my lung function as well as all my autonomic nervous system tested. So usually by 4AM it looked like a scene from Aliens with me pulling on my mask and tubing as fast as I could, like a face hugger alien trying to suffocate me.
Anyways, thanks again for the help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting back You do have an auto BiPAP but the DME set it up wrong. To match the prescription the PS max and PS Min must be 10 cm. You are set up with PS 3 to 5. If you make that change, it should be fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In case you don't know how to access clinical settings see here. https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions

The only settings to be changed are minimum and maximum pressure support to 10. Alternatively, change the mode to BiPAP S and set IPAP at 14 and EPAP at 4.0.

Not to beat a dead horse, you need to complain about this dangerously uneducated and fraudulent DME representative. No one with this level of skill should be allowed to touch patient's machines. I'm serious.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2018, 08:19 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In case you don't know how to access clinical settings see here.

The only settings to be changed are minimum and maximum pressure support to 10.  Alternatively, change the mode to BiPAP S and set IPAP at 14 and EPAP at 4.0.

Not to beat a dead horse, you need to complain about this dangerously uneducated and fraudulent DME representative.  No one with this level of skill should be allowed to touch patient's machines.  I'm serious.

Unfortunately I'm an Expat so the DME has been nothing like anything I've read on the forum, she's clueless set up all parameters wrong luckily I used link you posted, thanks btw!, and looked at the one I had (Aircure s) and copied settings from previous DR. 
    It's complicated the 1st DME is German, then after waking up choking, explaining my dysautonomia German sleep Dr ignored me said we saw no central apnea so you cant have one. So we found a Belgian sleep DR where we live in Brussels. He gave us BiPap to try and it worked but the DME only sells them in Belgium. I wanted to try a few brands, but I guess either Dreamstation was either a bad fit for my problems, or wrong model. It's just another thing to make me miss home, even the masks they give me are always the wrong size, worst part is I keep signing things all in German, I'm very concerned I've signed away the farm lol. I also get the feeling Resmed has monopoly here in EU, so much for buying American. 
   I ended up getting that Dreamstation BiPap Auto replaced by a Resmed AirCurve 10 ST. I had so many leaks I woke up with a pounding headache and an AHI of O? I guess from the leaky mask to which they said they would let me try anymore masks. I guess this is what free health care is about. 
Anyways thanks for the help, and I'm really jealous of your DMEs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 250 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 404 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 420 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 651 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  bipap Innisfree 2 461 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 800 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 641 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.