Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Finding the right Pressure
RE: Finding the right Pressure
Hello, winpig. I'm sorry to hear that you're having so many difficulties with your CPAP therapy, but I am glad that you've found the Apnea Board. It's a great place for problem solving. Welcome!

I was extremely sensitive to breathing with the CPAP pressure when I started my therapy last winter.

I would recommend that you experiment with finding a pressure that's comfortable enough for you that you can sleep with it, and then keep the pressure there for at least a couple of weeks.

I would also look for whatever setting your machine has that controls exhale pressure/pressure relief/ and see where that is set. The right setting for that can also make a big difference in feeling comfortable breathing out against the pressure when you are getting used to the machine.

SleepyHead is a great tool. It does take some time, though, to figure out how to use it and what all the acronyms and definitions are.

I think it's possible that you may find that you have to lower your pressure below what's necessary to get good therapy for a short period of time so that you can get used to breathing with pressure.

It's pretty common to take off the mask during the early stages of therapy. I took mine off a few times even after I'd been using the therapy for as long as two months.

I got a new, more comfortable mask last week. First night, I took it off. I really think that we have to get used to the feel of our particular mask on our face and to breathing with the pressure from the machine.

Until we do, sometimes we're going to take off the mask in our sleep. If it happens frequently, to me that may mean there's a comfort issue that needs to be solved.

For now, get ready for some problem solving and summon up all your patience. Things do get much, much easier but it will likely take some experimenting on your part.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Winpig,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but I encourage you to stick with it, keep trying. Hopefully, you can get to where you are using it every time you sleep.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2016, 01:35 PM)Winpig Wrote: Do you think I should go with 11 instead? I am open for suggestions.

I would move it down until you can sleep comfortably with whatever pressure works. Then if your AHI is still too high, move it back by about half a centimetre at a time, then when you are used to that move it up a bit more, and so on.

By the way, ten centimetres is very close to 1% of the ambient air pressure at sea level. So the machine is not blowing all that hard, even though it may feel like it.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:By the way, ten centimetres is very close to 1% of the ambient air pressure at sea level. So the machine is not blowing all that hard, even though it may feel like it.

another way to look at it is to stick a straw 4 inches into a glass... and blow. if you can make bubbles come out, you've just blown *harder* than 10cm/h2o water pressure!

so, yeah, it's VERY little pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the warm welcome & advice, my biggest problem lately is actually staying asleep, about an hour ago I got up and basically gave up on sleep, I might have gotten 2 hours of sleep last night, at best.
"I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2016, 05:14 AM)Winpig Wrote: Thank you all for the warm welcome & advice, my biggest problem lately is actually staying asleep, about an hour ago I got up and basically gave up on sleep, I might have gotten 2 hours of sleep last night, at best.

Consider Melatonin to help you stay asleep. It is a naturally occurring chemical produced by the brain when we go to sleep. As we get older the production of Melatonin does down and some studies indicate that possibly there is a connection to poor sleep quality with the lack of melatonin.

You can google Melatonin and Sleep and get references. It is NOT a sleeping pill. For most it does not put you to sleep, it simply helps you stay asleep once you managed to get there.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried melatonin, Valerian root and other natural remedies. The most effective treatment for me in past year has been the discovery of kava. It seems many people are misinformed about this root (as I was sometime ago). Thanks to kava & good sleep hygiene I have had wonderful results not only improving my overall sleep but I also managed to stop drinking alcohol and a life long battle with Benzodiazepines.

After my last post early this morning, I decided to take a hot shower, lay down and it give it one more try. I put my mask on and next thing I know, it was 2pm. I actually woke up feeling better than most nights. I have my pressure set at 10.5, from the original 13 it was prescribed to me. Based on all the advice I have read on this forum I plan on keeping this setting for at least 14 days. I will up it in .5 increments until I reach a setting that benefits me the most.

Also, since I have an older machine, I have to buy a SmartLink card reader separately and I will do that as soon as I have available income. I realize that this will be the best way to interpret and monitor my sleep and ultimately find the appropriate pressure setting for myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option may be to talk to your doctor about placing you on Bi-Pap which provides a lower exhale pressure than inhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there, keep reading. I would like to hear your findings. The information that comes out of the different links is so good, more like GREAT.

I have improved my sleep with cpap. I have been fine tuning it and learning what to do, adjust and understand. It is worth the effort.

The waking with a pounding head that was so bad as to not want to move or open my eyes is gone. I still get discomfort that will go away with extra oxygen. Still falling asleep if inactive, but no longer when standing.

I keep reading and learning from the more experienced members. I also find that the folks that are newer ask questions that lead to a lot more information.

Keep up the efforts, you can help me on my trip to a good nights rest. ThanksSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2016, 03:37 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: Another option may be to talk to your doctor about placing you on Bi-Pap which provides a lower exhale pressure than inhale.

The machine I use now (though somewhat ancient, compared to other member's devices) has a SmartFlex exhale pressure relief function that is very similar to a Bi-pap machine. It allows me to chose between 3 different settings that drop the pressure when I exhale, each setting drops the pressure by 1 cmH2O, I have it set at 3, which drops it by 3 cmH2O.

What I am really interested in getting is an APAP, but I need to wait a bit on it, until I can see my GP and also get my medical insurance sorted out.
Quote: I keep reading and learning from the more experienced members. I also find that the folks that are newer ask questions that lead to a lot more information.

Keep up the efforts, you can help me on my trip to a good nights rest.

Thanks Smile, last few days have been dicey, getting used to the CPAP is tricky, but thx to this forum I finally have the pressure at a comfortable level and I am (trying to) keeping a positive attitude because I know it's going to pay off in the long run!

I have been devouring this forum & will continue to do so. Knowledge is power, as they say...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,646 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 594 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 663 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Need help finding the right pressure. kidchameleon 57 4,973 07-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: kidchameleon
  Help finding my Bipap machine taken by mistake on airline orthoal 6 603 06-16-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: orthoal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.