Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Finding the right Pressure
Finding the right Pressure
Hello everyone,

I am new around here, not new to CPAP's, I was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago through a sleep study done in a local hospital. I had a technician come to my house, explain the machine, how to use it etc.

I used it for about 3 months on and off. It seemed I could never get used to the pressure (13.0) & found myself waking up every morning, with the mask off my face. I never actually remember pulling off the mask in the middle of the night. About three months in, I gave up on it.

I have since tried to use it a few more times, with the same problem(s). Last night, was talking to a friend in a different forum & he suggested I come here. Glad I did, I hadn't even thought to look for a sleep apnea board...Smile

I am very frustrated, cause' I sleep like crap without it (grind my teeth) wake up tired everyday but when I have it on, I seem to wake up with similar results.

My machine has the ramp up feature & I use it, but I always wake up several times throughout the night because it feels unnatural to have this air forced into my lungs.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
"I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finding the right Pressure
It's a long hard road with setbacks. 3 months and still not sleeping all nigh but it's getting better all the time. But I at least every 3rd night I can say "just had my best night ever". I look forward to sleeping and feel better.

Just hang in there. It will get better. Need to make adjustments and every one different. Just fin what wors for you.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I can relate, I wake up at least 3 times throughout the night.

Also wanted to add that I downloaded the SleepyHead software, but still not entirely sure how to use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am assuming you have a Cpap and "not" an auto Cpap. I'm not that familiar with your machine, but you are using a straight pressure setting. If it is an auto Cpap, you should be using the auto mode.

Does your machine have "smart flex" enabled? This is an exhale relief pressure setting that will drop the pressure a bit on exhaling.

If you are using SleepyHead, can you look and give us some information....your AHI number, and leak rate data.

It sounds like you are uncomfortable with the high pressure. You can try lowering the pressure by 1 or 2cm to help you adapt sooner, then slowly raise it back up in time.
Also enable the smart flex feature, and set it to 2 or 3 and see if that helps.

You also want to make sure your mask is fitting properly, and that you are not experiencing leaks.

Order clinicians manual here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose Smile

Yes I have the smart Flex feature enabled and set at 3 & it's not an auto-CPAP.

I just downloaded the sleepyHead today so I am not sure there would be any info available until tomorrow...

I had read somewhere else in here to adjust the pressure in .5 increments, but I will try dropping to 10 and going up from there.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2016, 01:08 PM)Winpig Wrote: Hi OpalRose Smile

I just downloaded the sleepyHead today so I am not sure there would be any info available until tomorrow...

I had read somewhere else in here to adjust the pressure in .5 increments, but I will try dropping to 10 and going up from there.

Thanks!

Just so you know, that 10 may be too low for you, but I'd rather see you get back to using it than not. Can always adjust back up as needed.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2016, 01:21 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(05-23-2016, 01:08 PM)Winpig Wrote: Hi OpalRose Smile

Thanks!

Just so you know, that 10 may be too low for you, but I'd rather see you get back to using it than not. Can always adjust back up as needed.

Do you think I should go with 11 instead? I am open for suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, take it down to 11, then let us know what Sleepyhead shows.
Will need AHI and breakdown of.......hypopneas, Obstructives, clear airways, leak rate.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board! The only thing that I will add is that using it "off and on" is not a good way to get your brain accustomed to sleeping with it. It is definitely a different sensation and your brain needs to learn to recognize it as OK and that it is OK for it to keep sleeping normally. Using it overtime you sleep is key to this. Some people adjust to it easier than others.

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, I am working on importing the data from the machine to sleepyHead...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 591 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 661 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Need help finding the right pressure. kidchameleon 57 4,968 07-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: kidchameleon
  Help finding my Bipap machine taken by mistake on airline orthoal 6 603 06-16-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: orthoal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.