Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] First Night on APAP - leak advice
RE: First Night on APAP - leak advice
(04-25-2018, 08:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: So by turning off the feature that reduces exhale pressure, you reduce maximum mask pressure? Interesting, first time I've ever heard that contention.

Absolutely. I think we should take this discussion to another thread and not drag down a thread where a new user is looking for help. I have to make a trip and won't be checking in much until after the weekend. Perhaps lets start that discussion then. But this is the way I see it in a simplified CPAP case.

Case #1 - CPAP with a 10 cm fixed pressure treats obstructive apnea that can be prevented with 10 cm of pressure. Quite simple.

Case #2 - CPAP with a 10 CM fixed pressure and EPR set at 3 cm treats obstructive apena that can be prevented with 7 cm of pressure. It is not going to be nearly as effective. However if you increase the fixed pressure to 13 cm with a 3 cm EPR you can treat apnea that can be prevented with 10 cm of pressure. In other words you increase mask pressure by 3 cm to get the same effective treatment pressure of 10 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zedoary ,
WELCOMEE! to the forum!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Zedoary

That is a really good set of data for 2 nights!! Gosh you should have seen my leaks for the first 6 weeks. In fact shall attach some to show you. Your leaks are below 24l/min-and within the 'intentional' leak range of the resmed machines so you shouldn't worry.

I find a neck collar not only deals with my obstructions but also helps keep my mouth shut together with pressing my tongue against the roof of my mouth. This really helps with my leak problem.

OK I can't seem to attach anything to my reply so you will have to believe me when I say my leaks for the first 6 weeks were like tornado gales.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=5585]
OK can attach with this proper 'reply' rather than the quick reply route. Serve me right for laziness .

Here goes........
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone!  Based on advice from the group, I've purchased the soft C collar and it really helps.  I'm still averaging 5 hours a night on the machine, which for me is my normal sleep amount pre-treatment.  There are still an occasional night where I awake and tear the mask off, but after 10 -15 minutes I'm able to replace it and finish my sleep. I average 1.5 events an hour now. My am headaches are better than the first week.  The c-collar seems to help with air swallowing/bloating.  They made no changes to what I'm doing when I rechecked with my MD.

I was told that the amount and quality of my sleep would improve, and I should see big boost in general function, but, at least for me, at 6 weeks of regular use, those advantages are yet to be realized.  The hope is that the quality of the sleep has improved along with oxygenation, at least not aggravating the atrial Fibrillation. 
  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Zedoary, that is great progress!  I'm glad that you've persevered and found solutions.  I'm also glad to read that you are determined to persist and realize that 'boost in general function'; that's my mission as well so I can strongly identify with your effort and endeavor.

Sometimes it happens quickly, and sometimes it takes some time and tweaking to get to that nirvana of feeling great immediately on waking.  I think you've proven that you can do it, and I encourage you to do so – and to please keep us posted on your progress.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 280 1 hour ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 239 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 860 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,795 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.