Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] First week at new Pressures
First week at new Pressures

These are the stats for my first week at the new pressures as prescribed by my doctor, and the current configuration for my machine.

I have a mustache and goatee along with a rather substantial overbite (approx. 0.75in) that I've had all my life. I can fall asleep with my lips closed although that isn't a guarantee that they will stay that way, and they usually don't.

Since starting with the new pressures my leaks seem to have gone up. I have tried tightening the mask some to account for the higher pressures but that doesn't seem to be helping much. Last night I noticed that there were 4 or 5 times where my mouth was filling with air and it was escaping through my lips. The sound and vibrations from that kept waking me up. I've also noticed that my mouth has been a lot drier.

I'm not sure mouth tape would be a viable option given the facial hair and overbite. What else can I do to minimize the amount of leakage?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First week at new Pressures
You should at least try the tape. When I was training myself to breathe through the nose so I could use a nasal mask, I used the tape. I also have a beard and mustache. Some nights it would come off but I stayed with it. Nothing is perfect with this cpap stuff, you have to tell yourself your gonna be successful. You can get the tape in different widths. I just put it on my lips. You may need wider tape with your overbite. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not even sure where to find it locally. Is that something I have to order off of Amazon?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your local pharmacy should have 2" (52mm?) wide paper first aid tape. When used for sealing, you should fold-over at least an inch (25mm) on each side of your mouth, for pull tabs, for fast and easy removal.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gracias!
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried using the tape. By day 3 it was causing sores around the outside edges of my lips so I had to stop using it.

Given the size of my overbite (I have to push my bottom jaw forward a bit to get my lisp to close over my teeth, and after a long period of time doing that my jaw muscles start to cramp), combined with the the fact that I am also missing two teeth (one on the upper right just before the very last tooth, and one on the lower jaw left side, just before the very last tooth) I don't ever really seem to get a very tight seal because when my mouth and cheeks fill with air my lips start vibrating from the escaping air like I am playing a trumpet.

You'd think after just over two months on the machine (63 days) I'd have all the bugs and issues worked out.  Should I look into using a chin strap, should I try a different mask?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,729 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 457 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.