Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Got my machine over 8 years ago and...
Got my machine over 8 years ago and...
Hi all, Im new to the forum. Just want to give a quick history. I was diagnosed with Apnea around 8 years ago and got a Resmed S7 Lightweight machine. I tried for several months on and off to sleep with several masks...I never could get through a night. Even when I thought I did, i tore the mask off in my sleep.
Years later, Im older, 47, and more concerned than ever as I hear so many stories about friends, clients, etc. who have sleep apnea. What hit home the most, a client and friend was sick for over 2 months, turned out his had fluid around his heart and they thought it was apnea. He got tested, does have it, got the machine and has said he hasnt slept this will in his memory back to childhood. He rejuvenated my desire to succeed so I went back last Friday (10/11/13) for another sleep study.

Much to my history, I couldn't fall asleep. I only was wired, no mask and no CPAP. The tech called into my room around 1am and said it better take a sleep aid as they were running short on time to do both with and w/o cpap tests. I did take it but didnt fall asleep until roughly 3am so only enough time to do the w/o test. He wouldn't give me the results as he said they are not allowed to discuss. But since he knew i had a machine, he said here, try this mask at home (because my equipment is old). I guess he told me the test results w/o telling me....

Anyhow, I probably have to go back and test with the CPAP soon. I am wondering, after learning from this site how to program the system, I find my pressure setting is a 7. I do believe in the past a tech dialed it down because i couldnt sleep with it. So is 7 a low number? I have finally gotten through the night with a mask on but I don't feel refreshed like so many say they do. I do feel better than without it for sure but not totally refreshed like a great night sleep.

Im concerned about adjusting the pressure up. Is 8 still a low number?

I know, a lot of words for such a short question. Any and all advice on this would be helpful. I want to succeed in this. Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got my machine over 8 years ago and...
(10-14-2013, 10:04 PM)Philipg33 Wrote: Hi all, Im new to the forum. Just want to give a quick history. I was diagnosed with Apnea around 8 years ago and got a Resmed S7 Lightweight machine. I tried for several months on and off to sleep with several masks...I never could get through a night. Even when I thought I did, i tore the mask off in my sleep.
Years later, Im older, 47, and more concerned than ever as I hear so many stories about friends, clients, etc. who have sleep apnea. What hit home the most, a client and friend was sick for over 2 months, turned out his had fluid around his heart and they thought it was apnea. He got tested, does have it, got the machine and has said he hasnt slept this will in his memory back to childhood. He rejuvenated my desire to succeed so I went back last Friday (10/11/13) for another sleep study.

Much to my history, I couldn't fall asleep. I only was wired, no mask and no CPAP. The tech called into my room around 1am and said it better take a sleep aid as they were running short on time to do both with and w/o cpap tests. I did take it but didnt fall asleep until roughly 3am so only enough time to do the w/o test. He wouldn't give me the results as he said they are not allowed to discuss. But since he knew i had a machine, he said here, try this mask at home (because my equipment is old). I guess he told me the test results w/o telling me....

Anyhow, I probably have to go back and test with the CPAP soon. I am wondering, after learning from this site how to program the system, I find my pressure setting is a 7. I do believe in the past a tech dialed it down because i couldnt sleep with it. So is 7 a low number? I have finally gotten through the night with a mask on but I don't feel refreshed like so many say they do. I do feel better than without it for sure but not totally refreshed like a great night sleep.

Im concerned about adjusting the pressure up. Is 8 still a low number?

I know, a lot of words for such a short question. Any and all advice on this would be helpful. I want to succeed in this. Thank you very much!

I know your old sleep study was a long time ago but I hope you have a copy of it. If you don't and remember where you had your sleep study, maybe you can get the copy.

You should have the results of the events you had during your recent sleep study in a week or so. That will tell you some of the story but not the pressure you would need to control the events.

During my first sleep study, my pressure was set at 12. It is hard to answer your question about whether 8 is low or not because it depends on if that controls your AHI's or not.

The main thing is that you just started back on your machine and sometimes it can take 3 months or more for you to feel a difference in how you feel when you wake up.

Hope this is helpful for you. Someone else may have more information and/or suggestions for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Philipg33,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions.
I will say that technology has improved since you got the machine you have now, if you could, you might consider getting a newer, data-capable machine. Best of luck to you and it's good that you are trying again with CPAP therapy, just stick with it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Taking off the mask at night is a common thing. You don't say what you did to try and fix that so I'll mention a few things. The first is to sit up with it on during the day. Mask on, machine on. Read a book, watch tv, whatever. Get used to the sensation of the mask and the air and everything that goes with it.

The next is to take naps with the mask and machine on. Set an alarm and lay down. Try to go to sleep. Just for an hour. This position also lets you adjust the mask and hose, find how and where to put everything.

Another thing to consider is a home sleep test. Talk to the sleep doc about it. They get good results. The patient gets to sleep in their own bed which helps a lot! If the results come back and say yes, you have sleep apnea, then ask for a data capable autoPAP. This kind of CPAP adjusts automatically to what you need the pressure to be. After several nights of this, you and your sleep doc will know what to do.

Your machine, the S7 Lightweight, is a dinosaur compared to what they have now! That was my old machine, too. When I got my S9, I was shocked. Quieter, lighter, smaller, nicer looking! The Lightweight is also non-data capable. It only keeps hours used. You definitely want to get a new machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,309 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 112 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How many years does a mask last? nnddcc 6 299 04-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Incorrectly on ASV for several years rickresmed 2 124 04-04-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 175 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 229 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,109 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.