Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Help! -- Flow rate run away
Help! -- Flow rate run away
Hi all,  Relative newbie to the forum, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.  I got a new machine and mask about 10 days ago, last night was my worst night, well actually, just the last hour or so.  I have a Resmed 10 Autoset and Philips Respironics Dreamwear FF mask.  This morning, I woke up and the pressure was basically maxed out, I think due to a series of large leaks.  But even when I fixed the leaks, I couldn't get the pressure to drop, I could barely exhale.  First time of experienced this.  Attached are the SleepyHead charts. I have included the full night and then zoomed in on the last 30 minutes or so.  In the last 30 minutes, there were a bunch of H and OA events, lots of leaks and pressure climbs to ~19.  Usually my average pressure is between 10 and 12.

BTW, I've only just started using SleepyHead and this is my first time posting charts, so let me know if I did something wrong

Any thoughts?  Let me know if I need to post more info?

Thanks!

[attachment=5759][attachment=5760]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! -- Flow rate run away
Set your maximum pressure to 14. Give yourself a little EPR for comfort Set it to 1 or 2 Full time. This will all work out fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2018, 07:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Set your maximum pressure to 14. Give yourself a little EPR for comfort Set it to 1 or 2 Full time. This will all work out fine.

Thanks Sleeprider, I'll give that a shot.  The previous 9 days were almost perfect, AHI less than 1.5 and many nights less than 1.  That's why I was so surprised this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Setbacks happen, and that is all this was. What we want to find are settings that are both comfortable and effective for you. I originally answered you on my iPhone so it was a bit cryptic and incomplete. I see you are using a pressure range of 5-20. I have no doubt that setting a maximum pressure of 14 and using some EPR will increase your comfort. I would also encourage you to increase your minimum starting pressure to about 8.0. I think it's useful to avoid a lot of pressure variation through the night as that can be disruptive to sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I adjusted the max pressure to 16 and set EPR to 2.  Resulting AHI was 1.3.  Definitely like the EPR!  I'll reset the min pressure, probably to 8 and give that a try.  The starting pressure is currently 4 with a ramp.  I'll probably increase the start pressure to 5 and have a 30 minute ramp.

It's been interesting with this new machine.  They set the pressure range from 5-20 at the DME.  My old machine was not an autoset and the pressure was set at 8!  That was based on my sleep study from 8 years ago.  I was not sleeping real well with the old machine and my AHI numbers were climbing over the last 6 months.  Now with the autoset, my pressure is averaging 10-12, so clearly something has changed over the last year or so, and that's why I hadn't been sleeping as well -- 8 wasn't enough anymore!

That said, I love the new machine and mask!

Thanks again for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 0 9 7 minutes ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 0 19 1 hour ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 45 8 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 50 9 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 77 Today, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 448 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 141 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.