Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Help! Have respiratory alkalosis on CPAP
Help! Have respiratory alkalosis on CPAP
I was diagnosed used with mixed sleep apneas and temporal lobe nocturnal seizures about a month ago. I was put on a CPAP on a pressure of 9, struggled a lot, and a blood gas test revealed I have respiratoryThe alkalosis. CPAP pressure was reduced to 7, but latest blood gas test is even worse! Tried a BiPAP machine last night but cannot tolerate it as it is not matching my breathing pattern, so it feels like I am fighting it all the time and I cannot fall asleep. Have tried for two nights. It is a BiPAP autoSV Advanced machine, so it should adjust to my breathing,  not so? But that hasn't  happened. Need help/advice! I can't not be on a machine, I nearly died before my diagnosis and had respiratory acidosis. The alkalosis makes me shake all day!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! Have respiratory alkalosis on CPAP
Are you using a Philips Respuronics machine by any chance? That brand tends to try and anticipate your breathing where ResMed follows it.

To get better advice post your daily charts. And settings
We have many users here using ASV BiLevel machines and while it takes some time to get used to them they do work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Do they work for alkalosis, though? That is my main concern at present, since a CPAP works just fine for my apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
Layla Rose, your condition is not what the auto sv (servo-ventilation) machine is used for. Your complaint of respiratory alkalosis infers that CO2 levels are low in your blood stream from hyperventilation, or loss of CO2 during respiration (hypocapnea). BiPAP or ASV therapy, are used to increase ventilation and treat central apnea related to central or complex apnea. These bilevel therapies actually decrease CO2 and would likely further decrease CO2. It would help if you posted actual results PaCO2 or pH so we are certain we are talking about the same thing. If your doctor intends to increase CO2, the solutions you have tried so far, increased CPAP pressure, BiPAP and Auto SV are all going to take you the wrong direction. These therapies would be appropriate for hypoventilation and hypercapnea.

To alleviate this condition, the objective should be to preserve CO2 in the breathing cycle. The technique that does this in combination with CPAP is called Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space (EERS), and we have a wiki article on the subject. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS) . In EERS, a fraction of the exhaled air is reserved in a section of tubing between the mask and the vent. This exhaled air is richer in CO2 and is re-breathed increasing CO2 and restoring your natural balance, eliminating hypocapnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alkalosis passes after some time, its normal that after getting on treatment your acidosis turned into alkalosis. You're body was already trying to remove it through other pathways and struggling to do so, your on Resmed ASV which is the best you can get right now in non-invasive ventilation. Post some charts and your settings we can help you adjust the machine to your breathing pattern.

I suspect that because your fighting the machine breath by breath your actually hyperventilating as a result.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2019, 07:55 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Thanks, Sleeprider. Yes, the BiPAP didn't work for me, I don't need something like that. 

My pH on 10 May was:
pC02 was 21.8
P02 was 113.11

Also my F02Hb was 97.6 (elevated) - don't really know what that means

This is worse than on 17 April, when it was:
pC02 was 28.6
P02 was 88.4

I am seeing a pulmonologist on the 31st but I think rebreathing is probably the solution. I was on a CPAP that was set on 9 originally and reduced to 6. Now I am on the CPAP auto (for the past three nights), set between 5 and 10. I have fewer apneas on the CPAP auto. But I don't think it will help me with the respiratory alkalosis! I need to preserve more C02. My question is, does anyone in South Africa know enough about this to assist me?? 

(05-12-2019, 09:39 AM)crowtor Wrote: I will ask my sleep clinic to print out results. Is there software I can download here at home? What would that be, for the ResMed products? I am seeing a pulmonologist on the 31st, do you think they would have some answers/suggestios? I don't know how much they know about sleep apnea, really - but surely they must know quite a bit?? 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 253 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 348 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Can respiratory effort be inferred from OSCAR data? alienfrontier 1 229 02-02-2024, 09:22 PM
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 707 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Symptoms] Need help with low respiratory rate issue Lfmichel 4 593 10-30-2023, 09:21 AM
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,253 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.