Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Help for a newbie: titration failed
RE: Help for a newbie: titration failed
I will for sure ask about alternative mask options when I have my "setup" appointment with the RT today.

My insurance allows for full mask replacement yearly but does not cover cushion replacement before the year is up.

Thank you for the recommendation to try the F&P. I tried the Simplus during my titration study and hated it, but the cushion was to big for me so maybe a properly fitting model would be better.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. I'd opt to look at the Vitera then. There's several small differences between Vitera and Simplus and it's enough for me to like the Vitera better. Mostly it's the headgear strap. It's more comfortable to me. Back section has a web like covering over the headgear's other cloth that helps it seems. They vent similar so note if you liked that aspect.

RollFit is their bellows action on the cushion. I think this makes the mask work very well. Very small leaks at nasal bridge but can be minimized by wearing mask lower on the face than other masks
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To get by, you can buy the Airfit F20 cushion in small medium or large on Amazon for $14-$17. You can buy the Airtouch 20 cushion for $20-$29. This mask cushion has gotten a lot of critical reviews on the forum for tearing in very short time at the bridge of the nose with routine cleaning. Until Resmed fixes this problem, it is probably a mask to avoid. I will be very surprised if your supplier is not aware of this problem. See this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...a-few-days
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If me, I'd opt to make a call and make a bit of a stink over the cushion breaking so soon. See if you get action from your supplier to replace the broken part. At least it'll hopefully get you to the time to replace the mask phase.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm super excited, everyone! Five nights in my AHI went below 5 and I had 10 hours of usage! I did wake up three times last night to take the mask off, but I took some calming breaths and put it back on before I fell asleep again. I feel like I have a ways to go before I am acclimated and optimized, but I'm honestly shocked at how far I've come in less than a week.

I've been messing with my settings a bit here and there, which I'm sure my doctor wouldn't approve of, but I've been happy with the results. My prescription is written for a pressure of 15/9 with a PS of 4, which of course is mathematically impossible. I started with my settings at 9-25 as recommended by the RT. Spent the first few nights with the min pressure at 9, went to 10 last night, and will try 11 tonight. I noticed pretty quickly from looking at the data in OSCAR that as soon as I hit 18 the pressure would wake me up, so I reduced my max pressure to 17.8. I suspect I'll need to bump that up if I want to get my AHI lower than 4, but every time I wake up I run the risk of not being able to talk myself into putting the mask back on before I fall back to sleep, so I'm going to hang out here for another week or so before I make any further adjustments.

The soft cervical collar has been a lifesaver. I hated it at first, but without it my mask leaks like a sieve. I'm now an SCC evangelist! I did have quite a bit of aerophagia the first night even with my mouth closed (I was bloated before I even fell asleep). I'm sleeping with a ridiculous number of pillows now, which I hope to reduce as my body gets used to dealing with all of that air.

I really don't mind the F20 as much as I thought I would. I bought a couple of replacement cushions on Amazon for cheap and am hoping they last me a while. My major complaint with the mask is that I can't wear my glasses. I may call my DME to complain and ask if they'll send me a hybrid mask to try.

I am not particularly happy with the quality of the advice I've gotten from my DME, but I've got you guys for that. As long as they send me my supplies when I order them, I'll be fine.

I'm having fun looking at my OSCAR data every morning. I'll probably post screenshots at some point just in case there are some finer points I am missing.

Thanks again for all the support here.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW on setting changes and doc relation, make notes on why you changed settings and positive results after changes and doc should be OK with it, at least in my experiences.

And congrats on the progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done great to read your success
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a question. Does my leak rate go up because my pressure is high, or does the machine turn the pressure up when my mask leaks?

This is WITH a soft cervical collar.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm guessing the probability is the mask is leaking when or because pressures go upward. If so, it's time to verify fit and adjustment on the mask.

I think there's going to be more consistent leaks if it were pressure going up due to leaks. However yours are pressure then leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think t his is the far more useful chart since it shows the leaks and pressure together.  Pressures do go higher when pressures are higher, but I don't think that is the best explanation. I'm seeing a change in position that makes you more prone to leaks and obstruction. They go hand-in-hand, and the apnea suggests position as well.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30101]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.