Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Help me de-chipmunk
Help me de-chipmunk
Lately when using the F20, I am awoken around 5-6 hours into therapy with puffy cheeks. I imagine that this is due to my usual need for increased pressure at this time of night when REM starts to get heavy... around 8cm and I start to experience this. I'd like to remain asleep! The tongue thing may work at the onset of sleep but there's nothing keeping it there the whole night. What would you suggest?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help me de-chipmunk
(01-20-2022, 01:55 PM)Millstone50 Wrote: Lately when using the F20, I am awoken around 5-6 hours into therapy with puffy cheeks.

Perhaps this is something you eventually get used to? It happens to me as well, but it no longer wakes me up. It happens less when I sleep on my side, and when I position the mask so that it tends to keep my mouth closed. But, in the end, I think I've just adapted to being a chipmunk.

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
This happens rarely to me, but when it does, it's in response to leaks. The machine goes a bit mad trying to maintain pressure but can't respond fast enough when the leak is intermittent. it therefore ramps the pressure up but, if the leak 'fixes itself' (for instance when I move) it continues to pump hard for a little while.

I guess this also happens with major OSAs.

It might be that newer/smarter machines can deal with this better?
Post Reply Post Reply
You are using 6-20 pressure according to your profile. Maybe we should start by looking at why your pressure increases at night and optimize to keep pressure lower. We have a lot of tips and tricks for controlling pressure in the airway with the back of the tongue. This usually is practiced more diligently for nasal masks and pillows than full-face masks, but it is still more comfortable and effective. Read the "mouth breathing" section of the Mask Primer wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Breathing
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I've actually gone to 8-20. This makes the machine not have to reach as far to get to FL and OA reducing stages (which for me is around 9-10). I found that always being on my left side and keeping pressure against that side of my face stops the problem... it's always my left cheek that balloons up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would imagine this will decrease with time, body naturally learning to part lips etc (since you are using a FFM).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chipmunk cheeks/mouth puffing her.suit 2 448 01-29-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Chipmunk cheeks solutions SystemF 2 1,027 07-13-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: barney999
  Mask fit - chipmunk cheeks Jmellarkey 0 781 01-07-2023, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Jmellarkey
  chipmunk cheeks /other frustrations martyedb 4 1,168 10-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: OldYamaha
  Recommended chin strap for chipmunk cheeks? gcritchley 13 1,887 06-19-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: theunk
  "Chipmunk Cheeks" and Dry Mouth SideSleeper 5 2,232 06-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  Newbe with Chipmunk Cheeks Sandyelle 40 8,387 01-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.