Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] High leakage rate
Question 
High leakage rate
I have been using my machine (Resmed) for over twelve months now and my figures are normally below 5 mostly , between 2 or3.My pressure is at 13 in/.My main problem is mask leakage as it is usually well over 50%.I use a Resmed Quatro Air mask which I find very comfortable.I also have a beard but find if I "soften" it with soap and water prior to going to sleep it does help reduce the leakage rate.
The main matter of my post is to ask if I should request a reduction in pressure and if reduced would it also effect the leakage rate.I have tried the nasal type mask but found it too uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High leakage rate
Solve the leak problem. Keep the pressure.
The Resmed Quatro Air often leaks near the nose.
If you cannot get comfortable with a nasal or nasal pillow mask, may I suggest the Resmed Mirage Quattro.
It has an forehead pad and an adjustable nose bridge distance. I believe it uses the same cushions as the Resmed Quatro Air.

The mask is the most individual choice in xPAP therapy. It is also the key to successful therapy.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2015, 08:16 PM)Donny Wrote: My main problem is mask leakage as it is usually well over 50%.
Not sure what 50% referring to ...
Whats are the numbers ... median, 95th percentile, maximum
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2015, 08:52 PM)zonk Wrote:
(06-29-2015, 08:16 PM)Donny Wrote: My main problem is mask leakage as it is usually well over 50%.
Not sure what 50% referring to ...
Whats are the numbers ... median, 95th percentile, maximum

AHI for last 7 days is 2.6.Med is 27.6,95th percentile is 49.2 and max is 55.2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried nasal pillows, goes very well with beard

I cannot use full face mask, on occasion when feeling unwell resort to full face mask
but set the machine at fixed pressure (CPAP mode) 9 or 10 to get some sleep .... ymmv

It does affect AHI somewhat but more important for me to get some sleep on those occasion
You can try take a nap at lower pressure, EPR off and see how things work out

Reducing pressure a little is not such bad idea, because higher leak rate reduce the effectiveness of the therapy
Therapy air goes in and instead goes down the airways, find a way out to escape
Right now, with those set leak numbers, you're not getting the full benefit of the set pressure, pressure is reduced already

Post Reply Post Reply
I too use the Mirage Quattro and it works extremely well for me. I too have facial hair and have never had a problem with leaks caused by my facial hair with any of the masks that I have used.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I find when I have about 2 days stubble, my mask stays put better at lower tightness. I find that my leakage increases some as I reach about 5 or more days stubble, but is very comfortable with that leak. Your 95% level of 49.2 means for at least 5% of the time, your leakage was above 49.2 liters per minute.

I don't think your readings are significantly worse due to the amount of leakage you have. If it does not awaken you or disrupt you, I'd just go about your business, and enjoy your sleep.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2015, 09:11 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: I find when I have about 2 days stubble, my mask stays put better at lower tightness. I find that my leakage increases some as I reach about 5 or more days stubble, but is very comfortable with that leak. Your 95% level of 49.2 means for at least 5% of the time, your leakage was above 49.2 liters per minute.

I don't think your readings are significantly worse due to the amount of leakage you have. If it does not awaken you or disrupt you, I'd just go about your business, and enjoy your sleep.

QAL
ResMed S9 report unintentional leaks (total leak minus intentional leak)
Might not be too high for Respironcis machine report total leak but certainly too high for ResMed machine

Below 24 L/m considered acceptable leak rate
Post Reply Post Reply
understood.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2015, 11:26 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: understood.
I'm more inclined agreeing with you ... "If it does not awaken you or disrupt you, I'd just go about your business, and enjoy your sleep"

We like to see leak numbers down but its not the end of world
Getting some decent sleep is better than none

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 39 6 hours ago
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 246 8 hours ago
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 338 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 326 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 108 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 122 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 932 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.