Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Higher Pressure = Higher AHI?
Higher Pressure = Higher AHI?
Hi,

I'm new so please be patient with me. I use a Respironics CPAP with nasal pillows.

I have recently had my pressure increased from 12 to 13 because the lowest AHI was 5.9 and the doctor thought a higher pressure would reduce it.

After one night of the increased pressure, my AHI went up to 9 and I woke up with a white substance around my mouth. I don't know if the higher pressure is causing me to breathe through my mouth or if I need a chinstrap and maybe can go back to the lower pressure.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Higher Pressure = Higher AHI?
It is not unusual for changes in pressure to initially cause an increase in AHI. It takes several nights to adapt and determine if the new therapy pressure is going to work. One way you tell what happened is to download and extract the Sleepyhead software program http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

By loading your data into Sleepyhead you can tell what kind of events occurred. It is important to know what kind of events are causing our elevated AHI. If you are experiencing CA (clear airway) events as opposed to OA (obstructive apnea) or H Hypopnea, then pressure is not the answer to the problem. Your PRS1 CPAP Pro 460P will provide this kind of data. Please download the software, and post the breakdown of the AHI events before and after the pressure change.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 10:40 AM)achoden Wrote: Hi,

I'm new so please be patient with me. I use a Respironics CPAP with nasal pillows.

I have recently had my pressure increased from 12 to 13 because the lowest AHI was 5.9 and the doctor thought a higher pressure would reduce it.

After one night of the increased pressure, my AHI went up to 9 and I woke up with a white substance around my mouth. I don't know if the higher pressure is causing me to breathe through my mouth or if I need a chinstrap and maybe can go back to the lower pressure.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

Not knowing your actual data it is almost impossible to determine what pressure is needed just based on the AHI. The AHI is a combination of CA's (Central Apnea or Clear Airway), OA's (Obstructed Airways) and Hypopnea. Each responds differently to pressure changes. An increase in pressure can lead to an increase in CA's (Central Apnea or Clear Airway) which is the brain not telling the body to breathe. An increase in pressure can cause you to breathe through your mouth, as well as, cause chest discomfort. . . Not saying this is your problem; I'm just informing you as to things that can happen. Get Sleepyhead and post your sleep data so we can better see what is occurring.

Take Care!

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 11:18 AM)sgearhart Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 10:40 AM)achoden Wrote: Hi,

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

Not knowing your actual data it is almost impossible to determine what pressure is needed just based on the AHI. The AHI is a combination of CA's (Central Apnea or Clear Airway), OA's (Obstructed Airways) and Hypopnea. Each responds differently to pressure changes. An increase in pressure can lead to an increase in CA's (Central Apnea or Clear Airway) which is the brain not telling the body to breathe. An increase in pressure can cause you to breathe through your mouth, as well as, cause chest discomfort. . . Not saying this is your problem; I'm just informing you as to things that can happen. Get Sleepyhead and post your sleep data so we can better see what is occurring.

Take Care!

To clarify: I was diagnosed with mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea and hypersomnia in 2014. The titrated sleep study showed an AHI of 11.9.

I will get Sleepyhead and post my sleep data.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi achoden,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with we need more info. I look forward to seeing the sleepyhead data. Best of luck with adjusting to cpap, just don't give up!
Post Reply Post Reply
Achoden, I saw from another post that you have Sleepyhead, and it confirms you have significant AHI and major leaks. To help you interpret that data, it would be best if you could post a detailed graph. Here is a tutorial that describes how to do that on the forum: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

As an example, here is a graph of my data from last night. Note this chart has detailed waveforms for Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, and Leaks. Those will be the most relevant for us to see for you as well. On the left the summary has the calendar minimized so the machine settings show as well as the therapy results. Once you have the data arranged the way you want, just press F12 and the screenshot will be saved in My Documents/Sleepyhead/Screenshots.

[Image: mib4FJXl.png]

My AHI appears to be kinda high for this night, but looking more closely, all of the events are clusters of CA in the morning when I was awake. Without those, AHI is about 0.3. You can see leaks are low. The summary says:

The last time you used your Philips Respironics RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex...
was last night (on Tuesday, March 31, 2015)
You had an AHI of 1.54, which is considered reasonably good
You machine was on for 9 hours, 5 minutes and 2 seconds.
You had no major mask leaks (maximum was 2.00 L/min).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,687 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 142 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 402 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 581 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 379 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 315 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 587 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.