Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] How I decided on my APAP pressure numbers on my own
How I decided on my APAP pressure numbers on my own
I am, as some of you are, a self diagnosed, self purchasing, and self setting, APAP user. 

Here is how I experimented and eventually set my own machine settings to get an optimal AHI result for me.

I've made a webpage for this simply so that I could add the pictures and format it the way I wanted to. No advertising on it. Just my personal webspace. 

AND, I think it's in english with minimal sleep apnea jargon. It's what a newbie to this needs. I know, I was recently one of them and the AHI jargon in the explanations made it difficult to follow sometimes.

Any comments on this is cool. I'm not trying to break any new ground here. Just trying to assist users in the 'self help' category to get started from my experiences.

The webpage is here
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How I decided on my APAP pressure numbers on my own
It's probably just me, but the file structure of your website makes me uneasy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dan

Have not analysed nor read your entire page in detail but......just wanted to note below....

AHI per hour is not just about obstructions. It also describes central apneas, hypopneas and unclassified apneas.

I appreciate you have set some disclaimers but there is a danger in giving advise against having a formal sleep study.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2017, 01:05 PM)kiwii Wrote: It's probably just me, but the file structure of your website makes me uneasy.

Ya, I get that a lot. It's also in my email address. The word 'deceiver' is what you're talking about I assume.

The story.

Here's the explanation I've given for 40 years.
I've been involved with computer technology since 1977. I had my first computer then. Anyway, I was online before there was a public internet. Government and college bulletin board systems back then. I needed a 'handle', sort of like a CB radio handle that was popular in those days. No one used their real names.

I'm an avid science fiction fan. My favorite author is Robert Heinlein. Amazing character development. In the book is a dimension hopping computer named Deceiver. So, I took it. And at the time, I had no inkling that it at all coincided as what some people called Satan.

Over the years, and there's been a lot of them. I've gotten email comments from "Hey, that's a cool name". to "You're going to hell along with all your progeny." So, for that reason alone I've kept that email and web domain name. It may be the longest kept internet designation out there for all I know.

In the book, and back in the 70's, the name was innocent. I'll tell you a secret. The actual name in the book was "Gay Deceiver". It means "Happy Trickster" in the book. Imagine If today I used that? Some people would be all over me. Personally, I'm neither gay, nor a satan worshiper.  But I am amused at people who easily become 'uneasy' with one word.

Why do I keep that designation? For you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dan,

You are truly one of us.   Laugh-a-lot
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
That was an angle that hadn't occurred to me, to equate Deceiver with Satan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2017, 01:23 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Dan

Have not analysed nor read your entire page in detail but......just wanted to note below....

AHI per hour is not just about obstructions. It also describes central apneas, hypopneas and unclassified apneas.

I appreciate you have set some disclaimers but there is a danger in giving advise against having a formal sleep study.

Thank you, and I understand. I'm just trying to keep it simple. Qualifying every little term does clarify things but it also turns a simple paragraph into a medical journal. Think about it. I could also go into detailed explanation about how some people have central apneas and what all of that means I could include rera's, and other things. I just chose not to. But, hopefully readers will realize that this is just about one thing. And it's what I personally did that worked. Mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2017, 01:41 PM)kiwii Wrote: That was an angle that hadn't occurred to me, to equate Deceiver with Satan.

Oops.... sorry, I've gotten comments on it so much that I assumed.

What did you mean then about the file structure? I'm confused.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2017, 03:09 PM)DanGagner Wrote: What did you mean then about the file structure? I'm confused.

It's just stuff from my childhood. I tend to view things through a filter that, perhaps, is not present in most people.

Edit: I didn't mean to take your thread so far off topic though. Sorry about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:DanGagner Wrote:
In the book, and back in the 70's, the name was innocent. I'll tell you a secret. The actual name in the book was "Gay Deceiver". It means "Happy Trickster" in the book. Imagine If today I used that? Some people would be all over me. Personally, I'm neither gay, nor a satan worshiper.  But I am amused at people who easily become 'uneasy' with one word.

That reminds me of a Bar/hotel is Scotland.  It was named the "Gay Gordons" and no one ever thought anything about it until the word Gay changed meaning.  After a while they changed the name to The Gordons (Who are a Scottish Army, or were, Regiment) then along came a big chain and bought it.  The first thing they did was get rid of the Gordons name.  It upset a few that fought in WW11 but there are a lot fewer of them these days.  But of course you wouldn't expect a chain of Bars/restaurants from down in England to even consider what the name Gordon meant up here.

Dan, I like your style.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 115 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.