Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] How I decided on my APAP pressure numbers on my own
RE: How I decided on my APAP pressure numbers on my own
Regarding the "recap" on your webpage, I find something worrisome. As far as I know, the high pressure on an APAP is not equivalent to an inhale setting, nor the low pressure equivalent to an exhale setting.

For instance, my current pressure settings are 8-15. This means the machine varies the pressure within 8 and 15, according to what my breathing flow requires at that particular time. The APAP does not have two different settings for exhale and inhale; my understanding is that's what you get with a BPAP. Instead, the APAP lands on one pressure: I would be both inhaling and exhaling at 12, at 9, at 14.....whatever is the one pressure the APAP settles on.

My APAP does have some relief, however: a comfort feature (EPR) that allows exhale up to 3 mm lower than the one setting. This means it's easier for me to exhale when the one and only pressure the APAP sets makes it difficult for me to exhale against. E.g. when I need it, my APAP's pressure can go to 15. When it goes to 15, I have trouble exhaling, but because I have EPR set for 3, I'm exhaling at 12 (15-3).

EPR is not a pressure setting; it's a comfort setting dependent on the pressure APAP is selecting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2017, 08:13 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Regarding the "recap" on your webpage, I find something worrisome. As far as I know, the high pressure on an APAP is not equivalent to an inhale setting, nor the low pressure equivalent to an exhale setting.

For instance, my current pressure settings are 8-15. This means the machine varies the pressure within 8 and 15, according to what my breathing flow requires at that particular time. The APAP does not have two different settings for exhale and inhale; my understanding is that's what you get with a BPAP. Instead, the APAP lands on one pressure: I would be both inhaling and exhaling at 12, at 9, at 14.....whatever is the one pressure the APAP settles on.

My APAP does have some relief, however: a comfort feature that allows exhale up to 3 mm lower than the one setting. This means it's easier for me to exhale when the one and only pressure the APAP sets makes it difficult for me to exhale against. The initials for this relief are EPR. This is not a pressure setting: it's a nicety that can be controlled or turned off altogether.

Okay, I'm still learning. And you're right it's not just the high or low pressure that's used. I'm wondering though. My machine sends a 'pressure pulse' when it detects an obstruction. It then decides what minimal pressure I need to inhale to get the throat open. That minimum pressure needed is how the APAP machine  does it's apap thing.

I think, in the recap I talk about getting the max/min settings in and that it  will often actually vary 3-4 between those settings. Or am I missing what you're saying here?
Post Reply Post Reply
What I'm saying is that APAP puts out a single pressure at a time for inhale and exhale. My Resmed A10A has pressure settings entered of 8-15; as needed, it varies the pressure between 8 and 15.

A machine with a different pressure for inhale and exhale would be a BiPap or BPAP (bi=2).
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if you just wrote setting the high pressure and low pressure and leave out the inhale exhale part it makes it clearer.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2017, 08:54 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I think if you just wrote setting the high pressure and low pressure and leave out the inhale exhale part it makes it clearer.

Googling it, I see your point. It's not an inhalation/exhalation pressure. It's just high and low end limits and the machine finds the right spot in there. I made changes that removes the inhale and exhale parts of it.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 191 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 12 378 04-16-2024, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 207 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,224 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 152 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 226 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.