Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] How to Test Auto Pressure Increase
How to Test Auto Pressure Increase
Hi. I'm new and did a search on this without finding an answer but not sure if I used the correct keywords so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

Is there a way to hold your breath or something to test whether or not that the pressure is increasing when it should? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to Test Auto Pressure Increase
Welcome

I posted this in another thread - it deals with a different issue, but you should be able to use the methods to do what you want to do:

When I first started APAP (before I found Apnea Board and was able to set my own pressures), I had a Respiratory Therapist who refused to set the APAP to anything but wide open. Needing high pressure while sleeping, but starting out so low, made it impossible to fit the mask comfortably, reduce leaks, get used to the pressure, etc. Knowing I needed to start at higher pressure, but clueless as to how to get into the settings menu, I had to experiment. If you start from normal breathing, then suddenly block your airway with your tongue and hold your breath it will take something like the amount of time you mention to raise pressure and you'll likely pass out before you can get it to go from 5 to 14 or so. What I found, with ResMed machines anyway (most experimentation was done with Escape Auto the DME gave me), was that the machines respond much better to realistic simulated conditions. Instead of suddenly holding your breath; close your mouth, inhale through your nose and lightly block your airway with your tongue so you simulate a light snore high in the back of your throat. With the next breath close the airway a little more and snore a little harder and simulate struggling to breath a little by randomly closing the airway completely for a fraction of a second. Struggle a little harder with the next breath, etc. With a little bit of practice I was able to get the machine to go from 5 to 20 in about 10 or 12 seconds. With a lot more practice I was able to adjust my "fake snoring" routine enough to get it to go up to pretty close to 15 and stop. The biggest problem was having to occasionally do another light fake snore while going to sleep in order to get it to stay up there.

This works with the ResMed machines I tried and I don't see why it wouldn't work with other brands of autos. You might have to experiment a little to get the "fake snore" right, and be persistent.

Please let me know if this works for you with your machine.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Holding your breath generally does not help you test the machine. How are you feeling, sleeping?
What is your AHI? For lack of a better idea you can try this- set the bottom number on the machine to the same setting as the top number and see if you feel a difference, or check with a manometer. You can buy a manometer at many online cpap stores. An alternative is to have your DME check it if you have concerns about the pressure.
Good luck,
Mary
Oh, if you don't know how to change your pressure many clinical manuals are available on this site.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2013, 10:30 AM)zimlich Wrote: Holding your breath generally does not help you test the machine. How are you feeling, sleeping?
What is your AHI? For lack of a better idea you can try this- set the bottom number on the machine to the same setting as the top number and see if you feel a difference, or check with a manometer. You can buy a manometer at many online cpap stores. An alternative is to have your DME check it if you have concerns about the pressure.
Good luck,
Mary
Oh, if you don't know how to change your pressure many clinical manuals are available on this site.

Why would a manometer help? I just want to see if the pressure goes up. Also how would the AHI or how I feel be an indicator if the pressure is increasing? The pressure is set for 12 - 20 already so no need to change that either. I would think that making the two numbers equal would defeat the whole purpose because then the pressure never would rise beyond that.

(02-08-2013, 10:15 AM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Welcome

I posted this in another thread - it deals with a different issue, but you should be able to use the methods to do what you want to do:

When I first started APAP (before I found Apnea Board and was able to set my own pressures), I had a Respiratory Therapist who refused to set the APAP to anything but wide open. Needing high pressure while sleeping, but starting out so low, made it impossible to fit the mask comfortably, reduce leaks, get used to the pressure, etc. Knowing I needed to start at higher pressure, but clueless as to how to get into the settings menu, I had to experiment. If you start from normal breathing, then suddenly block your airway with your tongue and hold your breath it will take something like the amount of time you mention to raise pressure and you'll likely pass out before you can get it to go from 5 to 14 or so. What I found, with ResMed machines anyway (most experimentation was done with Escape Auto the DME gave me), was that the machines respond much better to realistic simulated conditions. Instead of suddenly holding your breath; close your mouth, inhale through your nose and lightly block your airway with your tongue so you simulate a light snore high in the back of your throat. With the next breath close the airway a little more and snore a little harder and simulate struggling to breath a little by randomly closing the airway completely for a fraction of a second. Struggle a little harder with the next breath, etc. With a little bit of practice I was able to get the machine to go from 5 to 20 in about 10 or 12 seconds. With a lot more practice I was able to adjust my "fake snoring" routine enough to get it to go up to pretty close to 15 and stop. The biggest problem was having to occasionally do another light fake snore while going to sleep in order to get it to stay up there.

This works with the ResMed machines I tried and I don't see why it wouldn't work with other brands of autos. You might have to experiment a little to get the "fake snore" right, and be persistent.

Please let me know if this works for you with your machine.
Sleep-well

Thanks I will give it a try and let you know. This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I just want to see it rise, I really don't need to do it long enough to see the top limit. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't mean to set the pressure at 20 all the time just to test if the pressure does get high. I completely misunderstood your post. The AHI is just one indicator that your treatment is working. A manometer..., well never mind I didn't understand you, do what jdjones1972 suggested.
It's best if you take what you need and leave the rest, you were told what to do, there was no need to respond to my post in which I thought you were serious about testing the pressure on the machine, not just playing around (no disrespect to jdjones1972 comprehensive, helpful and to the right point) post.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2013, 09:52 AM)WDP5505 Wrote: Is there a way to hold your breath or something to test whether or not that the pressure is increasing when it should? Thanks.
yes. if using auto setting, you can see the pressure breath by breath thru software pressure graph
fixed pressure setting, just shows one set pressure all night

is your Remstar, system one machine
SleepyHead support PR system one machines

Post Reply Post Reply
Why not just look at the data? If the data says the pressure went from x to z just like it should, then, yes, it is working.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2013, 10:30 AM)zimlich Wrote: Holding your breath generally does not help you test the machine.

But it does work momentarily. When I was using an S8 AutoSet II on loan I tried this. I saw it jump from 8.9 to 9.0 to 9.1 etc but not very fast and it only demonstrates that it does keep re-adjusting itself. It might be more beneficial to take readings (pressure, AHI) before going to sleep and when waking up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody. I did get it to move so I know it works. I am really new to this so have lots to learn. PaulaO2 said look at the data. I didn't even know there was data to look at!
Post Reply Post Reply
On the PRS1 machine, there are several things that work.

It tends to respond "slowly." Generally it will wait a minute or two and then go up 1 cmH2O of pressure.

The most "honest" way to fake it is to "block off your nose" internally and breathe through your mouth, since you're using a nasal mask. It's a bit hard to describe, but it's sort of the same thing you do when you try to blow up a balloon. There's a "valve" at the back of your nose that will block off block off your nose.

Block off the air for 15 seconds or so, then soft of start with a "pulse" of air so it acts like you're snoring.

You can also fake snoring by making snoring noises into the mask. I find snorting noises like if you're trying to snort and clear out your nostrils.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 118 2 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 86 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 154 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,270 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.