Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High?
RE: Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High?
It appears that you need a full multi-disciplinary workup with emphasis on cardiology/electrophysiology, pulmonary function, renal function, and a look at your sleeping position (orthostatic hypotension). You may wish to get an echocardiogram (with or without stress) and a BNP (B-type natiuretic peptide) blood test to rule out extra fluid.

You may also wish to ask your doctor about taking a daily aspirin or some form of anti-coagulant to deal with the potential for red blood cells to clump into a clot.

I know it sounds strange, but tell your doctor if you are taking V***** as it has been known to cause headaches and is a vasodilator. Mountain climbers use it to combat hypoxia and altitude sickness.

I found that I had an arrhythmia (PACs and PVCs) that produced many of the same symptoms.

Have you considered a short trial of supplemental oxygen injected in-line or into the mask?

Wishing you the best of luck on your quest.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
One other possibility that would be easy to check. The accuracy of your pulse ox could simply be wrong.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Beardog,
welcome back.
You said you had a referal to an endocrinologist??

Are taking testosterone replacement therapy?

Testosterone can cause polycythemia. I use it and I have be been kicked out of 2 blood donation drives because my hemaglobin is too high (21.1) Sad

Still did not catch your age, elevation or other related lung/ throat problems or age of your mask??

Scotty
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back Beardog,

Definitely sounds like something is amiss there. The fact you're having bad headaches corresponding to the low Sp02 numbers would point toward the pulse oximeter not being too badly out of whack, if it is. Still worth checking it out to see if it has gone out of calibration.

Desats to the levels indicated are definitely cause for concern and should be checked out and on a more urgent basis than 3 months down the road, IMHO. Something seems amiss for sure...and at those levels, it may be something more significant.

Also, Scotty, I had to do a double take as to where you live! When I donate, the number they check here is iron / hemoglobin is typically in the high 150s, but it is the difference in units between Canada (g/L) and the US (which uses g/dL). On your scale I'd be in the high 15's Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 120 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.