Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Leak control
Leak control
I am a new CPAP user using as ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.  My pressure is set at 14. I used the ramp up feature. I wear a full face mask. I have no problems in the ramp up phase, but after reaching full pressure, I often break a seal.  If I really tighten my lower straps to stop the leak it is almost vise-like and keep me awake.  Some times I can move the mask around and stop the leak, but generally I get a leak every night.  What can I do for a comfortable fit without a leak at the top pressure? Any magic solution?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak control
(04-01-2018, 12:36 AM)Ray Johnson Wrote: I am a new CPAP user using as ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.  My pressure is set at 14. I used the ramp up feature. I wear a full face mask. I have no problems in the ramp up phase, but after reaching full pressure, I often break a seal.  If I really tighten my lower straps to stop the leak it is almost vise-like and keep me awake.  Some times I can move the mask around and stop the leak, but generally I get a leak every night.  What can I do for a comfortable fit without a leak at the top pressure? Any magic solution?

Alas, there are no magic solutions. But, you may wish to try EPR (EPR = 3) to lessen the difficulty in exhaling. I find it is the exhale that usually stresses the seal, not the inhale.

Additionally, you might want to try a different mask to control leaks. Do you actually need a full facemask or can you use a nasal mask?

Or you could experiment with different mask headgear. I liked the ResMed Mirage Activa LT nasal mask (for about the same pressure)  -- and use it with Respironics headgear which has a somewhat similar -- but different-- configuration that does not slip as easily as the actual ResMed headgear or a knock-off manufactured by am unaffiliated third party.

Wishing you the best.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Something else you can try is mask liners made of cloth. Also review the Mask Primer link below for tips.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2018, 12:36 AM)Ray Johnson Wrote: I am a new CPAP user using as ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.  My pressure is set at 14. I used the ramp up feature. I wear a full face mask. I have no problems in the ramp up phase, but after reaching full pressure, I often break a seal.  If I really tighten my lower straps to stop the leak it is almost vise-like and keep me awake.  Some times I can move the mask around and stop the leak, but generally I get a leak every night.  What can I do for a comfortable fit without a leak at the top pressure? Any magic solution?

Is your machine set up in CPAP mode with a single pressure, or in Auto? If in Auto the ramp will only be up to the minimum pressure, not the maximum pressure. Using a minimum and maximum in Auto mode is not a complete solution to the issue, but it will reduce the average pressure of treatment and you will spend less time at the higher pressures where the leaks occur. 

As was mentioned, do you really need a full face mask? I am a new user and was skeptical of the nasal type, but I am now finding the nasal pillow Resmed AirFit P10 to be quite tolerable. Replacement parts for it are not that expensive either compared to some of the other masks.

Last it would be helpful to download SleepyHead and use it to review your results. It also makes it easy to post your results here:

SleepyHead Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
Ray,
If you haven't tried the mask fit feature on the Resmed, you might consider it. This feature will use the highest set pressure to test for fit and leaks. Also, just a "heads up"; It won't recognize any EPR settings that you may be using.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  Will try resetting the EPR.  Tried the nasal mask first.   Had lead seal problems there as well.  Went to the full face.  As I noted it held at lower pressure during ramp up but would blow out at higher pressure- not immediately but after I went to sleep.  A friend who used to sell this equipment gave me an old style nasal mask which seems to work a little better. Different pillow configuration.

Thanks.  Will do that tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Appreciate all the valuable feed back.  I was provided a Respironics Nuance Gel Pillows Mask.  Entered this world with virtually no data.  This board is giving me tons of useful info and the member response is incredible.  Will work on many of the suggerstions.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the exact same problem with the Amara View. If I jut out my chin, it'll seal. But I can't do that when I'm asleep. I've concluded the Amara View isn't a good fit for me. (But admittedly, I only tried it for a week or so before I gave up.)

The nasal pillows sure take surface area out of the picture, as far as leaks are concerned! If you can keep your mouth closed, those are the way to go!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  Will recycle through the options I've tried.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is sometimes over tightening the mask that causes the leaks.
I was no exception, the more it leaked the more I would tighten the mask, this in turn caused more leaks!
What I found was to tighten the mask at full pressure just enough to stop leaks.
If it tends to leak, try just lifting the mask off slightly to allow the seal to form and let it seat again.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, it is just a case of try and see.
With some masks it is just a case of play around until you get things to work.
If you can't get it to seal, maybe it is not the right mask for you.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 231 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 954 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 132 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.