Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Limited to 3 hr use most of time
Limited to 3 hr use most of time
My Respironics System 1 works fine to go to sleep but after 2 1/2 - 3 hrs increased air blasts out edges of mask and use for the rest of the night is hopeless. It is as consistent as an alarm clock in doing this. AHI runs around 6 - 9.

Does anyone have any suggestions - this has been the situation for a couple of years since receipt so I gave up on even using the @#$% thing until last September. Have repeatedly mentioned it to two M.D.s who were less than helpful, Am trying to get some assistance from DME.

Lower pressure is 6.5 - 7 which seems fine but factory upper pressure says 17. Why? what is the significance of upper pressure figure?

I shuld say that I have had ocassional 5 hr. total time but they are infrequent. i can't figure out what is being done differently.

Getting desperate, any thoughts welcomed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Limited to 3 hr use most of time
Have you tried different masks?

What mask are you using now?

Have you tried a nasal mask and a chin strap?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
This could be improper fitting of your mask. You could also try hanging your tubing above your sleeping area.

Beyond these suggestions you might need to search for a better MD who is willing to help you more. Also you might want to consider talking with your doc about switching your machine to an APAP (aka Auto PAP).

My knowledge is more limited than others here so consider any idea given even if it doesn't make since to you. Experience in this area really does matter.

I hope everything works out and don't give up. This is not a quick fix condition as much as we 'all' wish it was.
Post Reply Post Reply
When your face relaxes completely your mask seal is breaking down. You might be able to fix this using a liner made out of an old cotton t-shirt. Just cut an image of the mask seal and then cut out the middle for your mouth and nose.

Or, you would probably do fine with a nasal mask, or preferably a pillows mask. Talk to your DME and get some alternatives.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 11:37 PM)sleepysteve Wrote: My Respironics System 1 works fine to go to sleep but after 2 1/2 - 3 hrs increased air blasts out edges of mask and use for the rest of the night is hopeless. It is as consistent as an alarm clock in doing this. AHI runs around 6 - 9.

Does anyone have any suggestions - this has been the situation for a couple of years since receipt so I gave up on even using the @#$% thing until last September. Have repeatedly mentioned it to two M.D.s who were less than helpful, Am trying to get some assistance from DME.

Lower pressure is 6.5 - 7 which seems fine but factory upper pressure says 17. Why? what is the significance of upper pressure figure?

I shuld say that I have had ocassional 5 hr. total time but they are infrequent. i can't figure out what is being done differently.

When was your last sleep study? if it has been 2 years and your sleeping patterns have been getting worse it may be time for another sleep study to determine if there is a better settings for your machine. Or you can take control yourself and change settings by possibly lowering the upper limit of your Machine yourself, but I'm no expert in this so I will always sugest getting another sleep study. Possibly someone with more experience in changing settings and dialing in on your issue can chime in and help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could someone please speak to the upper limit of 17? Is that a maximum like a fuse, not go over which should never be reached anyway; does the cpap system increase unduly possibly causing the problem? I have an appointment with DME R/T requested for today or tomorrow... and will see MD in two weeks.

A highly experienced R/T from outside the DME received my full report and had me upgrade pressure to the 7 and it is wonderful for starters; I am happy there.

... to be continued. will see how it works this evening.
Post Reply Post Reply
The possible range on most machines is 4-20. Your 17 is the upper limit set to be used during your therapy. I have mine set for 10-15.

My leaks start when the pressure increases during the night toward the upper part of the range. Also after my face starts getting oily again.

I can see in my SleepyHead graph for last night, when I woke up and had to take off the mask to reset it, my pressure had just hit the 14 mark. That was after about 2 1/2 hours of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 11:37 PM)sleepysteve Wrote: My Respironics System 1 works fine to go to sleep but after 2 1/2 - 3 hrs increased air blasts out edges of mask and use for the rest of the night is hopeless. It is as consistent as an alarm clock in doing this. AHI runs around 6 - 9.

Hi sleepysteve,
It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile in more detail....
Are you using an Auto CPAP, and if so, what pressure range is is set at?
What type of mask are you using? What brand is it?
Do you use Sleepyhead software?

You say you have been putting up with this for a couple of years???
Your mask may not fit properly. You can use liners to help with leaks, or try a different mask. Your AHI isn't terrible, but could be better with the proper mask and correct machine settings.

The upper pressure was probably set by DME. If your machine is set at a range of 7 to 17, then the pressure can go up that high if needed. You need to know what your pressure is doing during the night.
That higher pressure can cause leaks.
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve, take a look at the bottom of your blower unit and let us know what the 3-digit number is. Should be something like REF 550P.

We can probably help you get more comfortable with the therapy by tweaking the pressure so it doesn't blow you away and cause leaks, and also by helping you find a mask that will better maintain a seal. At some point, it is going to be helpful if you will download and install the Sleepyhead software so we can see the results of pressure on your therapy. http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Your mask is probably getting pretty old, and should be replaced. Insurance may help you with this. Your current mask/size clearly is not working, so take a look at some of the alternatives available from the different suppliers. There are hybrid and cloth full face masks that might be better for you. Hybrids use a pillow design to give nasal therapy, and also cover the mouth. This approach can minimize the potential for leaks at the bridge of your nose and across the cheek which is really disruptive. Cloth masks from Circadian are very comfortable for some people and see less likely to leak. Other members have reported good results from masks like the Simplus. There are a lot out there, and you should try to buy from a supplier that will let you exchange masks if the fit is not right.

Let us know your unit model number, get the software, do some research on masks, and let's get you back in the game.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You aren't providing enough information. We can't help if we don't even know the basics.

What mask are you using?
What machine do you have?
What pressure range are you using?

As to 17, my F&P Simplus full face mask handles my pressure max of 20. Others using bilevel machines have full face masks that handle pressures higher than that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 89 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 546 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 227 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 142 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 753 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,174 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Pressure Variation with Time Heaviside 2 176 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.