Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Limited to 3 hr use most of time
RE: Limited to 3 hr use most of time
(03-22-2015, 11:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Have you tried different masks? SEVERAL

What mask are you using now? QUATTRO RECV'D 3-1-2015

Have you tried a nasal mask and a chin strap? REQUIRE FULL FACE BREATH THROUGH MOUTH

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2015, 11:47 PM)multime Wrote: This could be improper fitting of your mask. You could also try hanging your tubing above your sleeping area.

Beyond these suggestions you might need to search for a better MD who is willing to help you more. Also you might want to consider talking with your doc about switching your machine to an APAP (aka Auto PAP).

My knowledge is more limited than others here so consider any idea given even if it doesn't make since to you. Experience in this area really does matter.

I hope everything works out and don't give up. This is not a quick fix condition as much as we 'all' wish it was.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 10:42 PM)sleepysteve Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 11:47 PM)multime Wrote: This could be improper fitting of your mask. You could also try hanging your tubing above your sleeping area.

Beyond these suggestions you might need to search for a better MD who is willing to help you more. Also you might want to consider talking with your doc about switching your machine to an APAP (aka Auto PAP).

My knowledge is more limited than others here so consider any idea given even if it doesn't make since to you. Experience in this area really does matter.

I hope everything works out and don't give up. This is not a quick fix condition as much as we 'all' wish it was.

I DON'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO NAVIGATE THIS THREAD AND REPLY TO ALL 11 COMMENTS BUT PROFILE STATES EQUIPMENT IN USE. POSTED PROBLEM HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE 9-2014 WHEN I RESTARTED USE OF MACHINE PREVIOUSLY ABANDONED E.G. I GAVE UP A YEAR OR SO AGO.

HOWEVER LAST TWO NIGHTS MAJICALLY PROVIDED 7 AND 5 HRS UNINTERUIPTED NO BLAST DELIGHTFUL SLEEP RESPECTIVELY. STARTED TAKING TRAZODONE LAST NIGHT AT BEDTIME.

I RESET LOWER STARTING PRESSURE TO PRESENT 6.5 30 DAYS AGO FROM LOWER UNUSABLE PRESSURE ON DIRECTION OF HIGHLY EXPERIENCED R/T- PERFECT NOW.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can still use a nasal mask or nasal pillows along with a chin strap if you breathe through your mouth at night. Unless your nose is completely blocked. In that case, yeah, a FFM or oral only mask is your only option.

You have a wide range set to your pressure. One thing to consider doing is closing that gap. This could help (maybe) with some of the leak issues as they would happen earlier in the sleep process. As someone mentioned earlier, what may be happening is you fall asleep and as you completely relax into REM sleep, the facial tension is lost and the mask leaks.

I am going to assume you mean the Quattro Mirage and not the Quattro Air. Have you tried a different mask size? Try one smaller. We had a discussion about that in another thread a while back using the Mirage as the model. For me, the Mirage leaked too much to be of use for me. The Air hurt my face and practically left bruises, even without me over tightening. I am using the Simplus now. It's not bad. Could be better.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 10:56 PM)sleepysteve Wrote: [quote='sleepysteve' pid='106069' dateline='1427254971']
I DON'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO NAVIGATE THIS THREAD AND REPLY TO ALL 11 COMMENTS BUT PROFILE STATES EQUIPMENT IN USE. POSTED PROBLEM HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE 9-2014 WHEN I RESTARTED USE OF MACHINE PREVIOUSLY ABANDONED E.G. I GAVE UP A YEAR OR SO AGO.

HOWEVER LAST TWO NIGHTS MAJICALLY PROVIDED 7 AND 5 HRS UNINTERUIPTED NO BLAST DELIGHTFUL SLEEP RESPECTIVELY. STARTED TAKING TRAZODONE LAST NIGHT AT BEDTIME.

I RESET LOWER STARTING PRESSURE TO PRESENT 6.5 30 DAYS AGO FROM LOWER UNUSABLE PRESSURE ON DIRECTION OF HIGHLY EXPERIENCED R/T- PERFECT NOW.

Steve, I previously linked to the Sleepyhead software. You really should download it so you can share the data that will allow us to help you.
Download link: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH/
To post images of the graphs and data: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

The most helpful graphs are Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leaks.

Your profile shows a Philips Respironics System One. There are about a dozen machines that meet that descriptions, all of them different. With the humidifier chamber removed, turn the machine over and you should see a number like REF 560P. That is the model. You probably have either the 550 or 560 since you are on auto settings.

We really can't advise you on your use of the machine without seeing the correlation of events with pressure. That might also lead us to better understand why you have a persistent leak problem. As I said before you probably need a different mask. Many are available, including hybrids, cloth masks and different models that will fit you better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 08:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Steve, take a look at the bottom of your blower unit and let us know what the 3-digit number is. Should be something like REF 550P.

We can probably help you get more comfortable with the therapy by tweaking the pressure so it doesn't blow you away and cause leaks, and also by helping you find a mask that will better maintain a seal. At some point, it is going to be helpful if you will download and install the Sleepyhead software so we can see the results of pressure on your therapy. http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Your mask is probably getting pretty old, and should be replaced. Insurance may help you with this. Your current mask/size clearly is not working, so take a look at some of the alternatives available from the different suppliers. There are hybrid and cloth full face masks that might be better for you. Hybrids use a pillow design to give nasal therapy, and also cover the mouth. This approach can minimize the potential for leaks at the bridge of your nose and across the cheek which is really disruptive. Cloth masks from Circadian are very comfortable for some people and see less likely to leak. Other members have reported good results from masks like the Simplus. There are a lot out there, and you should try to buy from a supplier that will let you exchange masks if the fit is not right.

Let us know your unit model number, get the software, do some research on masks, and let's get you back in the game.

mask is 3 weeks old
760P
Pressure is tweaked to 6.5
Slphead IS installed on my Mac,I tried to get data in to it from card, unsuccessfully
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2015, 01:49 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You can still use a nasal mask or nasal pillows along with a chin strap if you breathe through your mouth at night. Unless your nose is completely blocked. In that case, yeah, a FFM or oral only mask is your only option.

You have a wide range set to your pressure. One thing to consider doing is closing that gap. This could help (maybe) with some of the leak issues as they would happen earlier in the sleep process. As someone mentioned earlier, what may be happening is you fall asleep and as you completely relax into REM sleep, the facial tension is lost and the mask leaks.

I am going to assume you mean the Quattro Mirage and not the Quattro Air. Have you tried a different mask size? Try one smaller. We had a discussion about that in another thread a while back using the Mirage as the model. For me, the Mirage leaked too much to be of use for me. The Air hurt my face and practically left bruises, even without me over tightening. I am using the Simplus now. It's not bad. Could be better.

Quatro Air is correct, size large. I will look into setting max 17 down.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used it only 2.5 hours last nighjt and took it off for whatever reason .... last week averaged 5 hrs. I have imported data into Sleepyhead and I have reports - now what?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 12:44 AM)sleepysteve Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 08:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Steve, take a look at the bottom of your blower unit and let us know what the 3-digit number is. Should be something like REF 550P.

We can probably help you get more comfortable with the therapy by tweaking the pressure so it doesn't blow you away and cause leaks, and also by helping you find a mask that will better maintain a seal. At some point, it is going to be helpful if you will download and install the Sleepyhead software so we can see the results of pressure on your therapy. http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Your mask is probably getting pretty old, and should be replaced. Insurance may help you with this. Your current mask/size clearly is not working, so take a look at some of the alternatives available from the different suppliers. There are hybrid and cloth full face masks that might be better for you. Hybrids use a pillow design to give nasal therapy, and also cover the mouth. This approach can minimize the potential for leaks at the bridge of your nose and across the cheek which is really disruptive. Cloth masks from Circadian are very comfortable for some people and see less likely to leak. Other members have reported good results from masks like the Simplus. There are a lot out there, and you should try to buy from a supplier that will let you exchange masks if the fit is not right.

Let us know your unit model number, get the software, do some research on masks, and let's get you back in the game.

mask is 3 weeks old
760P
Slphead IS installed on my Mac,I tried to get data in to it from card, unsuccessfully

Well, you have an Auto BiPAP unit like mine. You can use it in CPAP, BiPAP and Auto BiPAP modes. The inhalation pressure (IPAP) and expiration pressure (EPAP) can be set separately, or in auto mode, you can set the minimum and maximum EPAP pressure and a pressure support (PS, the difference between IPAP-EPAP).

From your description you are apparently using it in auto BiPAP mode with minimum EPAP =6.5, Maximum EPAP at 12.0 and PS=0.0. I don't see anyway that you can properly titrate and use this machine without getting familiar with the BiPAP function and monitoring your data to understand why the pressure is increasing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 11:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 12:44 AM)sleepysteve Wrote:

mask is 3 weeks old
760P

Well, you have an Auto BiPAP unit like mine. You can use it in CPAP, BiPAP and Auto BiPAP modes. The inhalation pressure (IPAP) and expiration pressure (EPAP) can be set separately, or in auto mode, you can set the minimum and maximum EPAP pressure and a pressure support (PS, the difference between IPAP-EPAP).

From your description you are apparently using it in auto BiPAP mode with minimum EPAP =6.5, Maximum EPAP at 12.0 and PS=0.0. I don't see anyway that you can properly titrate and use this machine without getting familiar with the BiPAP function and monitoring your data to understand why the pressure is increasing.

I think I am at the bottom of the string and have answered all the questions. I also said I have installed SlpHead and loaded info to it but have no idea of hoow to interpret the data.

Last night I got my 5th day of 5hrs. recorded "therapy" so I can't complain about that.

I'll have to have a local MD translate all this gibberish for me and evaluate what needs to be done if anything.

Thank you everyone for your time and input.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 91 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 546 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 227 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 143 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 753 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,174 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Pressure Variation with Time Heaviside 2 176 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.