Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Living in China with Obstructive Apnea
RE: Living in China with Obstructive Apnea
Last Friday I received my Apap in China.

I ordered a PR system one model 60 Apap. It is complete with a heated humidifier and a heated hose.
I bought it in the US. The problem I encountered was to get the Chinese prescription approved. The first time it was rejected. The prescription was in Chinese. I must say the support of that company was quite good. I downloaded their standard prescription form, went back to the hospital. The hospital signed it off and I uploaded that form to the supplier and it was approved.

I ordered the PR system one, because i could not obtain the Resmed equipment. Resmed has export restrictions on their equipment. They are protecting their global market segments. If your are evaluating Resmed prices over the world, that is shocking. Huge price differences and export restrictions in place.

Anyhow I received my APAP via UPS. It took 5 days to get it delivered to China and another 2 days for customs clearance. I had to pay 20% import duties. I bought this PR system one for 649 USD. I ordered also a nasal mask and a full face mask. Also I bought some spare parts like filters, hose and wear and tear parts for the masks. The total order was about 1200 USD.
If I would have bought this unit in China, I would have paid around 2500 USD.
I have this machine now 4 days in use and I must say it is quite a relief.
From day one I feel much better and I can directly feel the difference.
By example, I fly a lot. Previous if I buckle up, I directly fell asleep and wake up if we were landing and fell asleep during taxing again.
After the use of this Apap machine that is all gone. I was awake the whole flight. I am really happy it have the machine.

It is for me the first time I used a Apap. I plugged it on and used its factory settings (4-20). I Pushed the button for therapy and I got air. I did not have too much problems with the masks. So far so good.
I don't have experience with other machines. But this PR system one machine is Easy to understand and its operating system is easy to use.
The humidifier is easy to attach or to detach and the machine does not produce much noise.

In hope i can read the data from the sim card out into my computer. I did not try that one yet. First of all I want to use the system 14 days without any changes in masks and settings. After that I will look into more details.

At present I am very happy I received the equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2012, 06:54 AM)Gerard Wrote: Last Friday I received my Apap in China.

I ordered a PR system one model 60 Apap. It is complete with a heated humidifier and a heated hose.
I bought it in the US. The problem I encountered was to get the Chinese prescription approved. The first time it was rejected. The prescription was in Chinese. I must say the support of that company was quite good. I downloaded their standard prescription form, went back to the hospital. The hospital signed it off and I uploaded that form to the supplier and it was approved.

I ordered the PR system one, because i could not obtain the Resmed equipment. Resmed has export restrictions on their equipment. They are protecting their global market segments. If your are evaluating Resmed prices over the world, that is shocking. Huge price differences and export restrictions in place.

Anyhow I received my APAP via UPS. It took 5 days to get it delivered to China and another 2 days for customs clearance. I had to pay 20% import duties. I bought this PR system one for 649 USD. I ordered also a nasal mask and a full face mask. Also I bought some spare parts like filters, hose and wear and tear parts for the masks. The total order was about 1200 USD.
If I would have bought this unit in China, I would have paid around 2500 USD.
I have this machine now 4 days in use and I must say it is quite a relief.
By example, I fly a lot. Previous if I buckle up, I directly fell asleep and wake up if we were landing and fell asleep during taxing again.
After the use of this Apap machine that is all gone. I was awake the whole flight. I am really happy it have the machine.

It is for me the first time I used a Apap. I plugged it on and used its factory settings (4-20). I Pushed the button for therapy and I got air. I did not have too much problems with the masks. So far so good.
I don't have experience with other machines. But this PR system one machine is Easy to understand and its operating system is easy to use.
The humidifier is easy to attach or to detach and the machine does not produce much noise.

In hope i can read the data from the sim card out into my computer. I did not try that one yet. First of all I want to use the system 14 days without any changes in masks and settings. After that I will look into more details.

At present I am very happy I received the equipment

i'm glad this all worked out for you. the problem with buying the newest available model is that the 60 series is so new there is no software for users to read the data card yet. watch the forum, we'll be talking about the software when it does become available. i'm not sure when sleepyhead will even be available. encore should be available sometime in the may - june time frame. at least that's what respironics is saying. another forum member named jenny has the same machine as you and is also waiting.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2012, 06:54 AM)Gerard Wrote: I have this machine now 4 days in use and I must say it is quite a relief.

Hi Gerard,
I was hoping you would give us a report once you got the machine. It sounds as if your cpap therapy is off to a great start. I'm happy for you that you were able to get the machine and that you are seeing immediate results.

Before my cpap therapy I was like you whenever I flew or was riding in a car. I would fall asleep almost immediately. I thought it was caused by the motion and sound of the vehicle. I haven't flown since I've gotten my cpap machine but I no longer feel like falling asleep in the car when my husband is driving.

Keep us posted on your life with cpap therapy. I'm certain I'm not the only one on this forum that is cheering for your success to treat sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:It is for me the first time I used a Apap. I plugged it on and used its factory settings (4-20). I Pushed the button for therapy and I got air. I did not have too much problems with the masks. So far so good.

After you've used it for a while, take a look at your data. Then adjust that range to fit what your body needs. Having such a wide range means the machine has to react to the need for higher pressure over such a wide range. When set closer, within what you need, the reaction time between the two is much faster. (dreamcatcher explained it much better here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...06#pid5306)

So if your data says the highest it has had to go was, say, 12, and the lowest average was 7, then set your machine to 7 as low and 13 or 14 as the high.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Isnooze,

I think we share the same experience. I have the same problems like you when I drive a car. I fall asleep. I sleep anywhere. Looking back I must have this problem for more than 15 years.
I became aware of if because a colleague has the same problem.
We were on a same flight and he saw me sleeping and snoring.
The symptoms are so similar, but it takes a while before you aware of it.

It gives me a immediate relief, unbelievable. I am very happy and I will buy another APAP which is suitable for traveling and will suit as a backup.

Anyone a good Idea what is a good traveling kit and are there some suitcase design around a Apap such that it can be stored easily.

Post Reply Post Reply
Traveling kit as in what to take with you and your machine?

- Extension cord! I keep a 6' one in the bag.
- Spare mask parts. On a recent trip, one of my nasal pillows went missing. It was only for a few minutes (it was in the bag) but it was enough of a panic that I now have extras in the bag. Each time I get a new mask, it includes several sizes of pillows. Granted it would be the wrong size but better than nothing!
- Spare power cord. This is one of the things I hate about the S9s. My S7, I had a spare computer cord that I kept in the bag. I forgot it once (and once is enough) and a CPAP dealer where I traveled said to go to Staples and get a computer cord. But the S9s took the power brick out of the machine to make it smaller and put it in the cord. Pain in the arse.
- Most machines now come with a travel bag. Depending on the mask, you can fit nearly everything and spares into the bag.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll have to check to see if the Chinese airlines will allow you to carry your cpap device on the plane and not have it count as your carry one. US Airlines and most European airlines allow you to carry on medical equipment without paying extra fees. Paula stated that most of the machines now come with a travel bag. If yours didn't, you can use any bag but the requirements for us in the USA are that ONLY cpap items need to be in the bag to have it qualify as "medical equipment." We can't put extra socks or other items in it.

In June I'll be flying to Europe with my cpap machine. I have a travel case but it has no support. I don't know how easy it will be for items to break once it is in the overhead storage bins and other passengers start cramming their luggage in the same bin.

Since you travel often, you might want to invest in a hardshell, foam-filled case such as a Pelican case. Pelican is a brand-name that many serious photographers use to transport their equipment. You cut the foam to fit around your objects.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2012, 08:34 AM)iSnooze Wrote: You'll have to check to see if the Chinese airlines will allow you to carry your cpap device on the plane and not have it count as your carry one. US Airlines and most European airlines allow you to carry on medical equipment without paying extra fees. Paula stated that most of the machines now come with a travel bag. If yours didn't, you can use any bag but the requirements for us in the USA are that ONLY cpap items need to be in the bag to have it qualify as "medical equipment." We can't put extra socks or other items in it.

Hi Isnooze,
I have my first travel experience by plane already. I have a bag that comes with the equipment.
On the first occasion I carried my suitcase, with the apap in its bag in the suitcase.
On the security check nothing happened. Normally they ask whether you have a laptop inside. I said no.
The suitcase passed Xray and I did not need to open the suitcase at all. I did not expected that one.
The second time I carried it in the bag that comes with it separately.
It passed Xray and I had to opened it. They looked at it, did not know what it was and at the end I could pack it with no further problems.

I am looking for a suitcase, with a department for a apap separated from my clothes and the hose curved in the cover lid. something like that.
If I can not buy such suitcase, I will make one myself, because I don't expect problems traveling around with it in China and I need my clothes and equipment stored effectively.

Another possibility I will search for is a company in China who can make a nice suitcase for me. Not that expensive as well but it takes more effort.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2012, 09:00 AM)Gerard Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 08:34 AM)iSnooze Wrote: You'll have to check to see if the Chinese airlines will allow you to carry your cpap device on the plane and not have it count as your carry one. US Airlines and most European airlines allow you to carry on medical equipment without paying extra fees. Paula stated that most of the machines now come with a travel bag. If yours didn't, you can use any bag but the requirements for us in the USA are that ONLY cpap items need to be in the bag to have it qualify as "medical equipment." We can't put extra socks or other items in it.

Hi Isnooze,
I have my first travel experience by plane already. I have a bag that comes with the equipment.
On the first occasion I carried my suitcase, with the apap in its bag in the suitcase.
On the security check nothing happened. Normally they ask whether you have a laptop inside. I said no.
The suitcase passed Xray and I did not need to open the suitcase at all. I did not expected that one.
The second time I carried it in the bag that comes with it separately.
It passed Xray and I had to opened it. They looked at it, did not know what it was and at the end I could pack it with no further problems.

I am looking for a suitcase, with a department for a apap separated from my clothes and the hose curved in the cover lid. something like that.
If I can not buy such suitcase, I will make one myself, because I don't expect problems traveling around with it in China and I need my clothes and equipment stored effectively.

Another possibility I will search for is a company in China who can make a nice suitcase for me. Not that expensive as well but it takes more effort.
it's a bad idea to put a cpap in luggage. luggage gets lost. luggage comes late. luggage gets thrown around and things get broken. luggage gets stolen. luggage gets opened and contents get stolen. luggage falls off the wagon it is being transported on. you need the cpap every night. you don't have time for them to find your bag or replace the cpap. hand carrying may seem to be an inconvenience, but at the end of your trip you have your cpap in your hand 100% of the time.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2012, 10:42 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: it's a bad idea to put a cpap in luggage. luggage gets lost. luggage comes late. luggage gets thrown around and things get broken. luggage gets stolen. luggage gets opened and contents get stolen. luggage falls off the wagon it is being transported on. you need the cpap every night. you don't have time for them to find your bag or replace the cpap. hand carrying may seem to be an inconvenience, but at the end of your trip you have your cpap in your hand 100% of the time.

Hi Greatunclebill,
I will always use a suitcase that travels with me in the overhead bins of the plane.
I believe in the usermanual it is also said not to check in this equipment.
If I am travelling, I have a 2 laptops + some gear my clothes and now the APAP as well. I prefer to store it in a suitcase that is allowed to take in the overhead bins. However the size of that suitcase is restricted. The bag with APAP together takes too much space.
I fully agree not to check in the APAP and take it with you all the way.

Regards,

Gerard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 774 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  New User: Obstructive Events Gone but Central Events appearing. bopbop 0 213 02-13-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  ResMed Airsense 11 - Central vs. Obstructive FlowRider 7 944 12-22-2023, 12:24 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask pressure wave form with obstructive events jaredihnen 6 451 12-07-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Are these actual obstructive apnea events? SleepyMcDonald 6 590 11-25-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.