Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Min pressure of 4
Min pressure of 4
I'm sure I am just shouting into the wind but the last 10 people who have been move to Resmed from DS have have had the same thing - Min=4 EPR 1, 2 or 3...

Don't the people who are setting these up (suppliers-DME) know what EPR is or does??  Or do I not understand something? Dont-know
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Min pressure of 4
Hahaha. You answered your own question..  10 people were the same settings.

One of my friends who does have insurance. The just gave him the machine in the box…. No info no anything.  Luckily I could help him.

It like Sleep Rider and others say.  “It’s a Auto CPAP”.  It scans the body like on Star Trek and fix’s everything!!

I even thought flex and epr was in general same thing. Which is a big not even close.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
It's an automatic, just put it in drive. There's no adjustments Dr. Quacker McDuck needs to do.

Could you just imagine two things...
1. Doctor that actually spent a minute to cook up actual therapy settings
2. If you could actually go below 4 cmH2O with Min 4 EPR 3, start em at 1!
That'd probably rip a hole in the space time continuum and everybody gets a pet Tribble.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacey, didn't you read the fine print, it's on the microdot.  

Quote:To whom it may concern, anytime you see an AutoSet with the min equal to four, assume the ducks don't care.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take 2 without AutoSet, the pulmonary sleep doc wouldn't get as many boat payments because he'd have to get the DME to set them properly, wasting an extra minute per patient.

Duck Hunt! Quack quack

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My nearby VA seems to do a fairly good job with CPAP therapy. Their minimum pressure isn't as bad as 4, but they set it from 6 - 16. This is just initial setting for new people on CPAP therapy because people new to CPAP has difficulty when introduced to pressured air into their system. They probably gotten enough feedbacks from new users to know what to generally expect, and it likely results in the setting they commonly use for new users.

I've also been told that titration isn't necessary because that's the purpose of the APAP. So, they initially set it to a wide range with minimum pressure the new user can tolerate, and as they get data from the machines, and from that, they narrow down the pressure setting specific for the user. I've been told they are are aware of online help, and acknowledge that there are knowledgeable people in the online community.

When I initially started CPAP, I worked with a private sleep clinic, and the doc prescribed 5 -15 with EPR of 2, and they had no intention of messing with the settings further than that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not an expert by any means, but If you go into OSCAR you can see what's happening. Basically, EPAP stays at 4 until your pressure exceeds 7. While the inconsistency probably isn't great, it's not pointless. Also, most people probably aren't on 4 most of the night anyway, so if you know you want to enable EPR and haven't decided on a real minimum yet until you look at the data, it's... maybe ok?

Won't let me post a link to a screenshot because I'm too new of a member, but basically your EPAP is 4 or Pressure minus EPR, whichever is higher.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,028 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 989 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 669 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,590 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,440 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,394 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,695 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.