Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] My mother suffered an pulmonary embolsim and now she say that the pressure is to much
My mother suffered an pulmonary embolsim and now she say that the pressure is to much
My mother had suffered a pulmonary embolism and her pulmonary capacity diminished. Now she says the pressure is to much for her and she cannot breathe with the mask on. Her sleep doctor is out of reach and i do not know what to do.

She is using a philips system one with a nasal mask with the next settings:

mode autob
max ipap 20.0
min epap 6.0
min ps 0.0
max ps 8.0
flex type bi-flex
bi-flex 3

please help because she had not slept in some time and she reallyneeds the rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My mother suffered an pulmonary embolsim and now she say that the pressure is to much
Given the medical situation of your mother, I think it would be unwise for non-professionals on this forum to give advice.
We are not doctors. We offer suggestions under ordinary circumstances. This is far from ordinary.
Do you have emergency medical facilities? She should be seen there.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My mother suffered an pulmonary embolsim and now she say that the pressure is to much
she is there and under treatment. that is not the issue. the problem is that the machine is set for the pulmonary capacity she had before and now she asks for less pressure because her chest hurts because the pressure is to much. she needs lower pressures but i do not know what to change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Report the problem to the doc who prescribed the machine IMMEDIATELY.

Also try to tease out from your mom the answer to this question since it is important: Is the "too much pressure" problem better, worse, or about the same on exhalation as inhalation?

Her answer to that question will give the doctor who prescribed her machine a lot of insight as to whether its her min EPAP or max PS that needs to be changed.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a massive pulmonary embolism a couple of years ago. I had the same issues for a time. I made contact with my doc immediately. He reduced my maximum pressure but expressed that he didn't think it would actually be an issue.

This is definitely an issue for the medical professionals.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
given she is in hospital, I would assume she is stable and well monitored. It's normally an o2 issue from the clot reducing blood flow to area of lung/s. As well as apnea, the bpap would be to support breathing effort because of exhaustion? I would imagine a higher PS would make it more comfortable. I think o2 would be given for desaturation.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi inoroz ,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully you are able to get in touch with her doc to get this straightened out for your mother.
I wish you both good luck as she continues CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 361 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Mother's ResMed Astral 150 not keeping oxygen level high enough/what should I ask? Helena 4 514 12-13-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  My Mother had a lab study done: Phaleronic 4 422 11-28-2023, 02:43 PM
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.