Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Need Resmed S9 AutoSet Pressure Advice
Need Resmed S9 AutoSet Pressure Advice
I just upgraded from an Resmed S8 Escape to a Resmed S9 Autoset. My prescription pressure is 15. I have used it two nights with the default pressure range of 6 to 20. First night was great, but last night I had some congestion and I kept waking up with very high pressure intake. I had EPR set at 3.

My question is - given that my prescription calls for 15,what range should I be using? The default? 6 to 15 ? 8 (or higher) to 15? I have also changed my EPR setting to 2, which is what I used on the S8, but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks in advance - this seems like a great board.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Resmed S9 AutoSet Pressure Advice
Welcome

You were running 15 on fixed pressure CPAP with an S8.
Now, you need to bracket that number when using the S9 Autoset in auto mode.
Suggestion: go to 3 below and 3 above your Rx pressure. Such that min pressure is 12 and max is 18.
You don't want to start at 8 -- it's too far below the Rx pressure.
Plus to take advantage of auto mode, you need to give the machine some working headroom.

Download sleepyhead or resscan so you can follow your progress.
If you keep banging up against 18 most nights, you might have to raise max pressure.
20 is the most the S9 Autoset can be set to.
(You could set max to 20 -- the machine should not use more pressure than is required.)

With time, you may be able to narrow the pressure window.
When you have congestion, you will generally find you need more pressure.
Tuning the humidifier to get optimum humidity may ease congestion.

Mongo

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi okie69,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with your new machine and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi okie69
We learn by doing, we might take different approach to produce the same results but the outcome will the same as all ways lead to Rome

First off all, the old machine didn't report any useful data but the new machine (S9 AutoSet) does, so might gives some clues of what is going on
As you've used the new machine for two nights already, look at the data on the screen long version of the sleep report for AHI events, pressure, and leak, two nights is not long enough but should gives us some indication where we might be. Also you'll need to download the software [(ResScan (windows) or/and SleepyHead (windows and Mac)] http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

For a starter, I would set the new machine exactly the same as the old machine or 10-15 and see what pan put

As for congestion, you'll need to play around with humidity levels, some get congested at lower setting, while others at higher setting. If not using the heated tubing, might be worthwhile to get one, saline sinus rinse (bottle or neti pot) can helps too

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night, my 3rd night with my new Resmed S9 Autoset, was terrific thanks to the advice I got here yesterday. I decided to bracket my pressure and went with 12 - 18 (my prescription is 15), changed my EPR setting from 3 to 2 and cranked up my humidity level to combat congestion. Worked like a charm and my new machine is working a whole let better than my S8.

Thanks again for the help - this is a great board!
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad that worked out. Apneaboard has a wide and deep knowledge base thanks to its members.
Please stick around -- learn -- and then pass on what you learn.
We'll be here for you.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 294 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 419 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 170 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 111 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 473 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.