Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Need opinions on my flow rate please
Question 
Need opinions on my flow rate please
[attachment=16914][attachment=16915][attachment=16916][attachment=16917]

Hi everyone, I just started on my APAP on Sept. 27th 2019 and its going so so to be honest. I'm still taking stimulants to not fall asleep while I'm at work welding. Could those of you with knowledge please take a look at my attached screenshots of OSCAR? I'm being told 2 different things. My doc says I don't need a bi-pap but my respiratory therapist says I do. When I look at my flow rate in those screenshots and the rest of the charts for that matter, it seems to me that I need to lower my pressure at the very least. I tried turning on EPR with my docs permission but that shot my AHI up to 10.3, 8.7 and 6.1 on the 3 nights I tried it while on EPR 3, EPR2 and EPR 1. My average AHI is 1-3 most nights and that's the reason my doc wouldn't entertain putting me on a bi-pap. Any help or advise would be most appreciated because that flow rate, to me at least looks a little scary. Thank You
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need opinions on my flow rate please
Welcome, Osiris357! Before an expert comes along to advise you, could you reformat your chart a little? First, include the vertical panel on the left, but also turn off its calendar and pie chart. Then take a screenshot of the whole night (i.e., without zooming in). But include exactly the same graphs—great job there.

It’d also be helpful if you could say which aspects of your flow rate concern you.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be easier if you also presented a full night to provide context. Your flow limits are significant and as such a bilevel such as the ResMed VAuto would help. You NEED EPR or PS (BiLevel). I see significant differences in the size of your breaths and this is significant and the low volume ones are significantly flow limited.

You said your AHI went up when your EPR went up. What part of your AHI went up? There are many components to AHI and the specific makeup of your AHI is very important. I suspect your AHI rose because of a significant increase in your Central Apnea. It is critical to know these details when designing an optimum therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much guys I’ll try and format it different and interesting I did shut off the left side panel before I took the screenshots. I see what happened. And you are 100% correct Bonjour. I’ll send and new screenshot of the entire night when I get back to my computer in about 20 mins or so
Post Reply Post Reply
do include the left sidebar, minus the calendar and piechart so we can also see that data.  ANd also include charts from your EPR =3 night.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=16924][attachment=16925]

Ok here are the new screenshots that I took from inside Oscar and not on the Mac itself so I believe they should be ok now. I couldn't get rid of the piechart though. The 1.4 is EPR off and the 6.9 is EPR on.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=16926]

This is from the other night with EPR on 2 when I tried pillows for the first time. Failed miserably but may try the pillows again with tape
Post Reply Post Reply
It's looking to me like EPR pressure swings are inducing CA. It did look better with no EPR.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I thought also so I turned it off. But at higher pressures my breathing appears to be very drawn-out and looks very bad to me
Post Reply Post Reply
The more EPR the more CA, with essentially no CA with EPR = 0

Your original question, which machine?
As I suspected, the BiLevel (VAuto).  I suspect you will have trouble justifying this because your AHI is near 5.  You need the additional PS that you can get with the VAuto.  You have significant Flow Limitations with a PS (EPR) of 3.
This brings up the issue of the CA.   I believe this problem will go away with EERS therapy.  Note: this requires the Mask and hose and the technique is not in wide use.  I'm sure your doctors are not aware of this so it is a do at your own risk.

As we add PS we are making your machine more efficient.  This, in turn, more efficiently washes the CO2 from your blood, sounds good doesn't it?   Unfortunately, this reduces your drive to breathe as CO2 in the blood is a major driver for central Apnea.  The EERS simply causes you to rebreathe a little of your exhaled air which increases the CO2 in your blood providing the proper drive to breathe.  This is a major mechanism that causes treatment-emergent central apnea.

Another way that works for many, not all, is to wait 2-3 months to see if the central apnea goes away.  This is the normal way of managing treatment-emergent central apnea, basically, do nothing.  Do note that EPR=0 does also minimize the central apnea.

So the question to you is Which way do you want to go?

PS you can eliminate the pie chart in the preferences.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 42 8 hours ago
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 249 10 hours ago
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 247 Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 338 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 4 201 Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Last Post: earnerd
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 174 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 13 654 04-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.