Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Need your opinion on possibly adjusting pressure range
RE: Need your opinion on possibly adjusting pressure range
I am convinced of two things. 
1. It takes “exhale” pressure to hold an airway open and thus controlling obstructive events, and
2. Adjusting minimum pressure changes “inhale” pressure. 

I think what I saw in the 2cm increase in inhale pressure resulted in little or no change in exhale pressure. 

I too have positional issues but have almost corrected them through minimum exhale pressure adjustments.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you clarify what you mean by "inhale" and "exhale" pressures? I've never encountered that in the context of CPAP. Also, and I believe the issue was raised before in this thread, I don’t understand how possibly minimal pressure can change anything about the apneas that cannot be handled even by the maximal pressure. The only mechanism I can think of is that lower pressure is needed to prevent an apnea than is necessary to treat/handle an apnea once it occurs (if that makes sense).
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the next level up in devices, a BiLevel or BiPAP.

The main controlling pressure is EPAP or Expiratory pressure, Pressure Support (PS) is added to that pressure to provide IPAP or inspiratory pressure.  PS is similar to EPR on  ResMed CPAP but is a decrease in pressure from inhale IPAP pressure so pressure manipulations are needed to match the effect of a BiLevel machine.

Expiratory pressure is used to manage obstructive events.  In BiLevel the Auto algorithms alter the EPAP pressure and the IPAP follows via PS.

Hope I didn't confuse you
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the next level up in devices, a BiLevel or BiPAP.
Hope I didn't confuse you

Not at all, actually I think I’ve already heard about BiPAP or read about it somewhere. Anyway, the bottom line is that those remarks don’t apply to my current setup anyway, as I've got just a standard auto-CPAP DreamStation.

One more thing, just for me to make sure I'll buy a proper one tomorrow. By soft cervical collar you just meant something as simple as this, right? Nothing more fancy or advanced?

Post Reply Post Reply
What you pictured is the type of collar we recommend. It's important that the collar be tall enough to prevent your chin from tucking but not so tall that it's uncomfortable. You want to wear it just tight enough so your chin can't drop inside the front. Any tighter will be uncomfortable.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so here's the data obtained while I was sleeping with the collar. Well, I don't think that worked for me.  Dont-know Found my apneas exactly where I left them the previous night.  Dielaughing And I'm pretty sure I prevented myself from pushing my chin towards the chest (as I believe that is what the collar trick is about, right?). Therefore in my case it has to be something else, maybe sleeping on my back despite having a tennis ball attached (still using that, still not verified enough), maybe REM. Any more possibilities?

One more thing. Could you clarify for me if I understand this correctly, as I study the wiki here on ApenaBoard and try to delve into the data a bit more. I assume the flat lines on the second chart attached are my breath pauses, so each of those OSAs on the chart was related to about 20 second timespan of not-breathing, right? How on earth that might be "not clinically relevant", as the doc says?! (Who is a pulmonologist by the way, so maybe he is too used to seeing patients that don't breath that well, but on the other hand he should be specially aware that breathing is hey, quite important). Pardon my sarcasm, I am a bit frustrated  at this point. Anyway, is there anything more I can do?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking over your charts I see your around 9cm at the 95% mark. Normally with Dreamstation it's recommended to set the minimum pressure at 1 cm below what your 95% pressure is. So that's what I would do. I'd set minimum pressure at 8cm and maximum pressure at 12cm.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually my average 95% pressure is now 7.9 (for the last month), the charts you saw are a little bit over the average. So I'd say that according to the rule it should be 7. But is it recommended to adjust both min and max pressures at the same time?
Post Reply Post Reply
There's no problem adjusting both pressures. You have to adjust them both if you want to keep a 4cm range between minimum and maximum.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The clustering and timing of the clusters of events suggests to me apneas brought on by sleep stage cycles, likely REM.

The clusters are about 90 minutes apart, this is consistent with REM.

The difference between 6 cm and 7 cm isn't all that great, but if you're concerned increase it in stages. You can also increase your maximum, but I don't think you'll need to. Increasing the minimum can often reduce the need to get to the maximum as the airway is kept open.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 5 139 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rygonzo93
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 1,017 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 402 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 505 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 172 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,625 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 265 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.