Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New CPAP User - How Am I Doing? What am I doing wrong?
Question 
New CPAP User - How Am I Doing? What am I doing wrong?
Hello everyone. New CPAP user here.

I have a ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet APAP with a built-in humidifier and I use an Eson mask from F&P. My prescribed settings are a range from 4.0 at the minimum and 10.00 at the maximum. I have been using my APAP for just short of a month from today.

I've been trying to keep track of my sleep using Sleepyhead and it seems to show my AHI as floating around 5 -- sometimes more, sometimes less, but usually 5. My apnea events seem to cluster around right after I've fallen asleep as well as when I'm close to waking up. I also notice many events occurring when I'm trying to fall back asleep after awakening, whether that be a mid-day nap or attempting to go back to sleep after being awake briefly

In an attempt to address these concerns, I raised my device settings from 4.0 and 10.0 to 7.0 and 15.0. After doing so, I saw a tremendous spike in my central apnea events following brief moments of awakening. 

I suppose what I am worried, wondering, and sad about is... what am I doing wrong? 
I appear to be wearing the mask correctly, and I do not thing I have any tremendous leaks that last for very long.
Should I raise my pressure? Is my pressure too high as it is with the sudden onset of CA events?

What should I do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User - How Am I Doing? What am I doing wrong?
Looks like you made a decision to increase your minimum pressure and get into the right range to deal with obstructive events. If your event rate was reduced that was a good transition. CA events upon arousal are not something that counts as sleep apnea. We probably have terrible apnea all day long as we hold our breath as we concentrate on tasks and exertion, even while thinking or writing. If you know the events are when you are awake, then disregard them.

Feel free to post an image, but it sounds like you are well on your way to good treatment. We don't use CPAP to treat CA, so no pressure increase is indicated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ibb.co/c5VBV8
This is my most recent results from last night.

ibb.co/dGPyOT
This is my result from five days ago.

Honestly, my results don't look much better. If anything they look worse. But I don't know if it's just the results of my first day or if it is indicative that 10.0 is more appropriate for my roof.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your links aren't working.
Be patient. It takes a little time to get used to PAP and get your setting adjusted.
You will succeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 09:58 PM)tedvpap Wrote: Your links aren't working.
Be patient. It takes a little time to get used to PAP and get your setting adjusted.
You will succeed.

I can't post links yet since I'm so new. You will have to copy and paste the links (and possibly add http:// at the beginning) to see my Sleepyhead charts for the time being until I am able to post images. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 10:00 PM)spameggsandspam Wrote:
You will succeed.

I can't post links yet since I'm so new. You will have to copy and paste the links (and possibly add http:// at the beginning) to see my Sleepyhead charts for the time being until I am able to post images. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Your CA is still low and likely not real (you are not truly asleep).
Your OSA is not yet adequately treated.  You need more pressure.
I recommend 8-15 for a few days.

Edit: turn ramp off. It is best not to delay treatment and you want to know how well the mask is sealing before you fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 10:13 PM)tedvpap Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 10:00 PM)spameggsandspam Wrote:
You will succeed.

I'm sorry. I'm new to all of this.

Can you explain to me how you infer my CA the way you do?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 10:17 PM)spameggsandspam Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 10:13 PM)tedvpap Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 10:00 PM)spameggsandspam Wrote: I can't post links yet since I'm so new. You will have to copy and paste the links (and possibly add http:// at the beginning) to see my Sleepyhead charts for the time being until I am able to post images. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm sorry. I'm new to all of this.

Can you explain to me how you infer my CA the way you do?
Awake breathing is very irregular as is onset of sleep.  The machine assumes you are asleep so when it sees irregular breathing that is not directly due to an obstruction, it gets labeled as CA.  Your CA's are most likely due to arousals/disturbances caused by your OA.  
Treat the OSA adequately and then attack the CA if persistent.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no minimum post requirement to use the post attachment feature. Just click the Attachment option at the bottom of your post or reply (except quick reply) and insert directly from your computer. Instructions are in the Organize and Post links in my signature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 418 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,487 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,042 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.