Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New CPAP user. Need some advice.
Question 
New CPAP user. Need some advice.
First off let me say hi to everyone here.

In June I had a sleep study where my AHI was 47. It was determined that I was to have a Phillips DreamMachine set to a constant pressure of 14.  I've been using the DM for about 2 months and my AHI on average is around 7-8.  I've had a few in the 4-5 range and a few in the 10-13 range.  After some reading on this forum I decided to try Auto mode.  The first night I set the min to 10 and the max to 16.  My AHI was 5.3.  The next night, thinking more pressure is better, I changed the settings to 12 and 20.  My AHI was 8.5.  My mask fit is always 100% btw.

The question I have is Auto mode the best mode to use as opposed to a constant pressure?  I would like to get my AHI down to a fairly consistent 5 or less.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice.
Hi streetwolf.  Welcome to the Apnea Board.  Let me be one of the first to ask you to install the Sleepyhead software and download your data so that you can post images in this thread,  You will find instructions in my signature.  Your willingness to make adjustments shows that you will eventually get this under control.  Without being able to look at the data it is nearly impossible to make further recommendations.  You might not even have the right machine.  Another thing you want to tell us is the results of your sleep study.
Stick with us and you will figure this out.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to make sure. Do you have the DreamStation Auto?
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes.  Do I need a reader to read the data on the SD card or whatever it is called?  I don't have a reader on my computer.  My DM does have BlueTooth.  Can I use my phone or a laptop with BT capability to download the data?
Post Reply Post Reply
Card readers are inexpensive. Yes, you will need one.

You can download #SleepyHead to a Windows PC, laptop or mac, but not a phone.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just ordered an SD card reader from Amazon.  It will come tomorrow.  I post my data as requested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just look for a USB SD card reader. Very inexpensive. It sounds like your experiment with auto CPAP with minimum pressure at 10-16 was successful. When you changed the pressure range to 12-20, that was done without a real consideration of what caused the apnea the previous night. Also, it is a good idea to let setting changes settle in for several days or weeks to really get a good baseline. I would go back to 10-16 and once you can show us some data, we can help you learn more about what is going on so that you can make better, informed decisions.

Good luck and welcome.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To confirm your machine you should have a model number on the bottom and it should read something like "DSX700x11"

Everyone else beat me to the punch. We will help you get dialed in.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
The model is DSX500H11C.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you could change your profile to show the machine model it would help those of us with short memories. Top of the page under USER CP.

Thanks.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 514 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 722 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,371 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.