Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New CPAP user. Need some advice.
RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice.
Hi streetwolf,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I should be receiving the SD reader later today but in the meantime I wanted to post some readings I got last night.  I'm using the DreamMachine app on my phone as well as the display on the machine.

Auto pressure is set to 10min 16max

AHI is 4.8
Mask fit 100%
Periodic Breathing 2%  (What exactly is this?)
90% Pressure 14.9 (What exactly is this too?)

I'll post all the results later when I get the SD reader.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 90% pressure reading means you were at that pressure or below for 90% of the night.

Periodic breathing is nothing to worry about unless you experience this breathing disorder throughout the night. I see this occasionally on my graphs when I've had a cold or am very congested.
It can be related to heart issues. The articles below are from the Wiki.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._breathing

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...espiration
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have a heart murmur for many years.

FYI... I assume I've had sleep apnia for decades.  My wife always wanted me to get a sleep study but being a hard ass I didn't.  That is until I fell asleep for what seemed like a second and got into a minor fender non-bender.  No one hurt, no damage.  I told my Doctor and off to the sleep study I went.  I have to say that since being on the CPAP machine I don't get drowsy when driving anymore.  I'm probably saving my life as well as others when driving.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 08:00 AM)streetwolf Wrote: I do have a heart murmur for many years.

FYI... I assume I've had sleep apnia for decades.  My wife always wanted me to get a sleep study but being a hard ass I didn't.  That is until I fell asleep for what seemed like a second and got into a minor fender non-bender.  No one hurt, no damage.  I told my Doctor and off to the sleep study I went.  I have to say that since being on the CPAP machine I don't get drowsy when driving anymore.  I'm probably saving my life as well as others when driving.

Believe me, your not alone!  Many of us now know we've had Sleep Apnea for years and wish we were diagnosed sooner.  

Download the #SleepHead software, then you will be ready to see your data when your card reader arrives.  There are many knowledable folk here that will take a look and advise.

FYI, when you are ready, follow the tutorials in my signature line.  This will show you how to organize
the graphs and which ones we need to see.  Use an outside source like Imgur to upload here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 08:00 AM)streetwolf Wrote: I do have a heart murmur for many years.

Glad no one got hurt in the accident. Sometimes we have to have a "wake up call". I suspect that I have had OSA since as early as 21. 36 now and wish I had known better. You know what they say about hindsight. Anyhow, you're on the right track if you get advice here. I've been using these fine folks advice and my goal was AHI less than 1. I'm cosistently getting the numbers less than 0.9 now. And I feel great!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Does this sound familiar?  from 2003

"Like many here I did NOT have sleep apnea, I didn't stop breathing in my sleep, I didn't snore. Sound familiar. 

JUST to tell her "I TOLD YOU SO" I took a sleep study. 
I had 90 events per hour, an AHI of 90!! Go figure.

I didn't have a problem, I was driving off freeways at exits because I was driving to stay on the road. It was the rumble strips on the side of the city road that woke me up, rumble strips you ask, most know them as driveways, I was driving across driveways, and scared to admit it."

Rx of CPAP at 18 and never looked back.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 08:54 AM)bonjour Wrote: rumble strips you ask, most know them as driveways

Rx of CPAP at 18 and never looked back.

Fred

I shouldn't laugh at that, but it's hilarious! My head is full of imagery!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Imagery or not that is what I actually did.

OSA doesn't EVER impact out daily lives, does it.  (Sarcastic mode off)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
It's no joke. I know. I fell asleep and wrecked. Grounded me for months as I recovered. That was when I had my diagnosis and began treatment.

Jesse
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 360 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 256 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,784 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.