Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New CPAP user. Need some advice.
RE: New CPAP user. Need some advice.
[Image: 02teRNcl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
If you increase the min. Pressure to 13cm that should drop your API down. Also you can turn off the VS2 events at the bottom of the page. It causes more clutter than anything else.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have any graph called Flow Limit.  Perhaps my machine has a different name for it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips machines don't have a Flow Limit graph. They list Flow Limit (FL) in the Events and data on the left only.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's no flow limit graph on DreamStations. It's displayed in the Event Chart as a tic mark.

Oops I posted late. Yeah what he said. Too-funny
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Flow Limit is in your Events graph as FL.

Your numbers are close, in fact successful treatment if you ask your Dr or RT, but tweak-able for even better results.

Raise your Min pressure and wait a few days to see what happens.  I like to go in roughly .5 increments at this stage, though nothing wrong with the 11 that was suggested above.

The more important question now that your numbers are very respectable is How do you feel?  Let's concentrate on your comfort mostly now.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 02:03 PM)bonjour Wrote: Flow Limit is in your Events graph as FL.

Your numbers are close, in fact successful treatment if you ask your Dr or RT, but tweak-able for even better results.

Raise your Min pressure and wait a few days to see what happens.  I like to go in roughly .5 increments at this stage, though nothing wrong with the 11 that was suggested above.

The more important question now that your numbers are very respectable is How do you feel?  Let's concentrate on your comfort mostly now.

Fred

I'm feeling a lot better.  I had to drive for over an hour yesterday and I didn't have the urge to fall asleep at all.  With my new found energy I just know my wife is going to have plenty of new chores for me to do.   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't understand how AUTO pressure works to reduce the AHI.  If the machine is doing all the calculations based on my vitals it detects why wouldn't I make the MAX 20?  If I didn't need 20 wouldn't it just go as high as what is needed?  The MIN pressure seems like it is more critical.  We know that 10-16 reduced my AHI, at least for one night, wouldn't 10-20 give the same results?  If I up the MIN pressure as suggested wouldn't something like 11-20 be OK?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 02:15 PM)streetwolf Wrote: I don't understand how AUTO pressure works to reduce the AHI.  If the machine is doing all the calculations based on my vitals it detects why wouldn't I make the MAX 20?  If I didn't need 20 wouldn't it just go as high as what is needed?  The MIN pressure seems like it is more critical.  We know that 10-16 reduced my AHI, at least for one night, wouldn't 10-20 give the same results?  If I up the MIN pressure as suggested wouldn't something like 11-20 be OK?

I personally like to see a tighter pressure range because the Apap's can overshoot when reacting to snores, and Flow limitation. But in your case, you spent quite a bit of time at your max pressure, so it wouldn't hurt to set it at 20.

The minimum pressure is more critical and my feeling is you need to be at a minimum of 11 and possibly 12cm.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whenever I had my pressure set at max 20, I would experience what I call mask blowouts. It didn't happen often, but if I had a snoring night, my pressure would get to 17 and it would cause huge leaks and wake me up. Trimmed my max down and it has not happened again. I know that the goal is to have as few events as possible, however I feel that waking up in the middle of the night due to leaks is not worth having a few more marked events or an AHI that's a few clicks higher than normal. I know that 17 is not that high and shouldn't cause a leak, but I find that my mask is comfortable and the combination of pressure and mask tightness works well for me. I think everyone here would agree that finding what works for you and makes you feel better is the end goal.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.