Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New DreamStation user w DreamWear nasal mask
RE: New DreamStation user w DreamWear nasal mask
Thanks. Not using hearted tube...
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 11:56 AM)Traveller999 Wrote: Searched the forum but didn’t see answers. Sorry if I missed it 

Three questions.  New to Apap. 7 nights in...  
1- sometimes I take a deep breath in w mask and the airflow seems to STOP. Called my provider, no help
2- if I cover the tube w mask off the machine also stops... 
3- what is the correct mask setting on dreamStation, Ie 1,2,3 etc

For scenario 1, during a deep breath the machine may sense the end of inspiration and begin to drop pressure in preparation for exhale. This is likely related to your Flex setting. In some bilevel machines the minimum and maximum inspiration times can be set, but in the CPAP it should provide constant positive pressure.  Post a chart and we will see your settings.  If you can isolate where one of these large inhales occurs, and provide a close-up of the flow rate, we can provide a good idea of what is going on.

2. If you cover the end of the hose with your hand, the machine no longer senses a patient on the end of the circuit. The machine will shut down to protect the motor, regardless of auto-on/off setting. A complete blockage is not a normal event and the machine could be damaged if it continued to run without any flow.  An apnea still flows air through the mask vent, so blocking the tube is a different animal.  For real fun and games, exhale, then hold your breath at least 10 seconds, and you will get to feel the pressure pulses that attempt to determine the type of apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just covered the end of my hose with the machine running for 5 seconds. 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi.....and as soon as I removed my hand it was still running. I didn't go ten seconds, but I believe that this test isnt fair to the machine. I don't know that it holds any diagnostic value other than for comparison's sake. Realistically I believe what Sleeprider has mentioned above in blower protection. That's as far as I can go without beginning to speculate and I shall refrain.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thnaks JesseLee and Sleeprider !
I am travelling so only have my ipad with me but next time I touch down at my office I will download SW and post some information for additional wonderful and appreciated input!
Will probably be about one week
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 252 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 984 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,164 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 268 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 269 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 754 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  New User - Mask Seal Error WJ5596 6 302 02-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: WJ5596

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.