Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New Member Questions on pressure, other settings
New Member Questions on pressure, other settings
I am new to the board. My name is Brandon. I have had sleep apnea all of my life, but have just recently been diagnosed. My case is severe and was told that I wake up 52 times per hour on the average during my sleep study.

I was going to have pay close to $400 with my insurance to lease a machine for 10 months. I bought a brand new one on Craigslist never used in the box for $100 cash. The unit is a Remstar Plus M series. I just ordered a mask and hose from Amazon. I toss and turn as well as have a lot of trouble breathing through my nose so I bought a full face mask. The mask is the Resmed Quattro FX. I bought the large size. I dont know if I need the large, but during the sleep study the mask they had me use felt like it was squishing my face into it as if it were too small.

My mask and other paraphernalia I ordered through Amazon and havent received it yet.

So this is what I want to know from you guys that have experience:
How do I know what pressure setting I need?
Is there a place I should start like the lowest setting and work up?
How will I know when I reach that optimum point?
Is my unit a self adjusting unit?
What do I need to know about the humidifier?

Thank you in advance to everyone that is willing to help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member??
Hey Brandon,

Dude, you got some learnin' to do! It's great that you are willing to spend the effort doing it.

I copied this from somewhere just to get you started:

How to access the setup menu:

Respironics REMstar M Series (CPAP or BiPAP): Unplug the power cord from the back of the CPAP machine, then hold down both the left and right arrow keys while simultaneously plugging in the power supply. Once the device beeps twice, release the buttons. After you hear the two beeps, you'll see the word setup in the lower right corner of the LCD screen. When you select setup you'll be in the clinician's mode where you can adjust every feature of the CPAP machine, including the pressure setting.

When you had your sleep study they should have come up with a prescription for you that would give you their recommended pressure settings. If not, can you call them and discuss it?

More later, better help than I on this machine is on it's way!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your first problem is the machine you just bought. If I remember correctly, the RemStar Plus machines are what we refer to as "bricks", meaning they collect no data other than compliance data (hours used each night).

If you had a mask during the sleep study, then they did the titration part of it. Obtain the results from that and it should tell you what pressures were optimum for you. Or ask the supplier for a copy of the prescription for the machine they were going to rent you and it should be on there.

With no data, you won't know if you are getting adequate treatment other than how you feel. You could get an oximeter to wear and combine how you feel with what the O2 saturation was each night.

Or, you could save up some money and go to Supplier #2 in our Supplier's List (link at the top of every page) and buy a used or open box machine. Keep the RemStar as a backup. The hose and mask will work with any machine. You will find the Respironics to be cheaper overall. Here's a good place to start on machine's to look for:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks retired guy!
OK, I need to call my sleep Dr. tomorrow then. I didnt know thats how it works. I was supposed to go to some medical equipment provider they use and get the machine and such. They wanted to lease me a machine for $1,200.00 for 10 months and I was supposed to pay close to $400.00 out of pocket with my insurance. On top of that I had to take off work to make the appt. I am working on a great paying time and material job currently. Taking off to make the appt would have just added an additional expense to the already railroad price gouge they were trying to get . When I looked at machines online I didnt even see any new ones that cost as much as they wanted for a 10 month lease.

The rest of the equipment should be here in a couple days and I cant wait to get started!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bruno2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I notice in your profile, you don't have your pressure listed.
Since you wer recently diagnosed with OSA, you did have a sleep study to find that out, yes?
It would help us if you knew your pressure that they arived at, when you had your study or titration.
Do stic around for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 10:37 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Bruno2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Since you wer recently diagnosed with OSA, you did have a sleep study to find that out, yes?
It would help us if you knew your pressure that they arived at, when you had your study or titration.

I am going to find the pressure info out tomorrow hopefully.

I plan to stick around Trish!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 10:40 PM)Bruno2 Wrote:
(03-19-2014, 10:37 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Bruno2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

I am going to find the pressure info out tomorrow hopefully.

I plan to stick around Trish!
Knowing your pressure will be very helpful to you and to everyone here. Keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You can pull it off but you should have found a auto cpap machine with reporting functions, I got mine off CL but it was $350. You really got to do your home work and the best I've found is right here on this forum. I also have nasal problems but you will find that the pressure will inflate your nasal passages and you just might be able to use a nasal pillows that requires much less force on your face. Everyone is different so there is trial and error. I hear you on the prices they charge the insurance and your share is nuts. Good luck and keep us posted and read on.
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been combing through the posts in this forum already. There seems to be a lot of knowledge and experience here. Also there seems to be a lot of members willing to help somebody out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 10:36 PM)Bruno2 Wrote: Thanks retired guy!
OK, I need to call my sleep Dr. tomorrow then. I didnt know thats how it works. I was supposed to go to some medical equipment provider they use and get the machine and such. They wanted to lease me a machine for $1,200.00 for 10 months and I was supposed to pay close to $400.00 out of pocket with my insurance. On top of that I had to take off work to make the appt. I am working on a great paying time and material job currently. Taking off to make the appt would have just added an additional expense to the already railroad price gouge they were trying to get . When I looked at machines online I didnt even see any new ones that cost as much as they wanted for a 10 month lease.

The rest of the equipment should be here in a couple days and I cant wait to get started!

who told you that you would have to pay $400 for 10 months?

see, with most insurance companies, there is a contracted price or an allowed amount that the insurance company will pay a DME/supplier. So, if your insurance company requires you to pay 20%, it will be of the allowed amount.

For example, my insurance company will allow $110.50 per month for a vpap and I pay $22.10 per month and I have to pay this for 13 months I have been told. That is $287.30 so I would think you would pay less if you are only responsible for 20% for 10 months. It will be a lot less than that if you don't need a vpap. When I had my cpap, I only paid around $8 per month. YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 78 3,218 51 minutes ago
Last Post: Suzee
  Juniper's questions juniper 4 68 1 hour ago
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 228 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 425 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 347 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 299 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.