Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New Member Questions on pressure, other settings
RE: New Member??
I'm also a little concerned about the mask you bought. Did you get the mask AND the headgear? It's a little risky ordering a large not knowing for sure that's what you need. The thing about full face masks is they are tricky to keep them from leaking. A big help in that area is the mask liners. On Amazon, did you notice the Remszzz liners when you were reviewing the mask options? They aren't a sure thing, but they help a lot. You can make these from an old t-shirt (cotton) or even a new t-shirt..... Somewhere around here are directions, but it really isn't all that complicated. You basically cut out a liner larger than the diameter of the mask and cut out the middle area so you have a place for your nose to sit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another issue I have been dealing with:

My 17 year old son seems to have the sleep apnea as well. I have been hesitant on getting him diagnosed because his dream as of now is to join the Marine Corps when he graduates next year. I dont know if sleep apnea will keep him from being able to enlist or not.

He is one the few and the proud OSA guys that have about 1% body fat. He is 6'1" and 138lbs. He runs several miles a week and has wrestled for over 10 years. However, it is easy to see that he has OSA and maybe somewhat severe. He sleeps all the time. Sometimes he will sleep on the couch when he gets home from school for a couple of hours. Then he gets up and has dinner, goes straight to bed and can hardly get up in the morning even after a good 10-12-14 hours of "sleep". He snores like you cant believe and I can hear him stop breathing and have trouble getting it going again.

I really wish I would have gotten set up on a cpap 25 yrs ago when I was his age. I was an athelete and worked out all the time, but I never progressed as well as the kids my age on my teams. I know it had to have a lot to do with my body not resting and healing itself properly at night.

So I want him to be healthy, but dont want to destroy his dreams and aspirations either. The Lord knows he could use a good stretch in the military. If I didnt think the military experience would be one of the best things for him I wouldnt hesitate to sign him up for a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
If he indeed has severe sleep apnea, and only testing can determine that, then you need to get that done. He may not be able to be in the Marines, but at least he might be one of "The Few, The Proud, The Alive."

Don't fool with this if you really believe he could be severely affected. It's just not worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
about your son. I understand about dreams and aspirations, BUT, untreated OSA causes heart and other organ issues and can cause death.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 11:40 PM)retired_guy Wrote: If he indeed has severe sleep apnea, and only testing can determine that, then you need to get that done. He may not be able to be in the Marines, but at least he might be one of "The Few, The Proud, The Alive."

Don't fool with this if you really believe he could be severely affected. It's just not worth it.

I do believe it and so does his Mother. We have discussed it quite a bit also. We are both also concerned about his future if he doesnt go into the military. It may not be very bright and fruitful. He has had discipline problems and running with the wrong crowd. He joined the ROTC at school and started working out with the Marine recruits poolees. Since he did that everything turned around. It gave him a goal and a better attitude towards where he was headed. He changed crowds and has been shaping up a lot.

Granted some of this could very well be attributed to the OSA issues if he has them.There seems to have been a lot of it on both sides of my family in the past. My Dad's Father and my Dad's uncles were all built almost identical to me. My grandpa was the oldest living out of him and his 2 brothers. He was 57. His brothers died at 43 and 46 from heart disease as well as other health issues. My Grandpa lived to be 57 and when he died he from a heart attack he had lung cancer and sclerosis of the liver. He never smoked or drank either. Looking back on it I am pretty sure the OSA issues contributed to their bad health.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 11:40 PM)me50 Wrote: about your son. I understand about dreams and aspirations, BUT, untreated OSA causes heart and other organ issues and can cause death.

We are kicking around the idea of treating him with a cpap , but just not getting him diagnosed yet. The treatment without a diagnosis might not be as effective as with, but something would have to be better than nothing. Maybe once he has enlisted I can talk him into getting diagnosed even while still in the military or right after his tour.

It's a tough subject here at home and I know my life could have been better if I were aware of my OSA and had been treated years ago. I slept through most of Jr High and High School. I dropped out of college because studying, sitting through lectures, labs and reading was hard to do without falling asleep. I am not a genius by any means , but am above average intelligence and shouldnt have had such a tough time in college.

I want my sons life to be better than mine of course and I want his health to be better too.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want your son's life to be better than yours, then take him to the doc and get the correct diagnosis. Don't fool around with it. Otherwise, it's like saying you think he has diabetes but you're just going to cut back on his sugar intake. That decision is about as useful as the one you are making now.

As for your own machine, like I said, it is a brick. If you are going to self-treat yourself, it is much harder and takes much longer to do with a non data-capable machine. It is possible, but takes dedication and time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2014, 11:57 PM)Bruno2 Wrote:
(03-19-2014, 11:40 PM)retired_guy Wrote: If he indeed has severe sleep apnea, and only testing can determine that, then you need to get that done. He may not be able to be in the Marines, but at least he might be one of "The Few, The Proud, The Alive."

I do believe it and so does his Mother. We have discussed it quite a bit also. We are both also concerned about his future if he doesnt go into the military. It may not be very bright and fruitful. He has had discipline problems and running with the wrong crowd. He joined the ROTC at school and started working out with the Marine recruits poolees. Since he did that everything turned around. It gave him a goal and a better attitude towards where he was headed. He changed crowds and has been shaping up a lot.

Granted some of this could very well be attributed to the OSA issues if he has them.There seems to have been a lot of it on both sides of my family in the past. My Dad's Father and my Dad's uncles were all built almost identical to me. My grandpa was the oldest living out of him and his 2 brothers. He was 57. His brothers died at 43 and 46 from heart disease as well as other health issues. My Grandpa lived to be 57 and when he died he from a heart attack he had lung cancer and sclerosis of the liver. He never smoked or drank either. Looking back on it I am pretty sure the OSA issues contributed to their bad health.

chances are with untreated OSA, your son might not be able to pass the physical and/or make it through Basic. Treated, he might be able to. Just something to think about.

I would be concerned about him facing the same things that your grandfather and uncles faced. You could also check with the school counselors b/c they have tests they can give to show where they might excel in the work force and they also know how to present that to the students.

You could also tell your son that if he gets some college behind him, he can start at a higher rank in the military. That could get him focused on something else for a while and get his treatment started. His life hangs in the balance and, knowing what it is like to lose a child, trust me, you don't want to go there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2014, 12:08 AM)Bruno2 Wrote:
(03-19-2014, 11:40 PM)me50 Wrote: about your son. I understand about dreams and aspirations, BUT, untreated OSA causes heart and other organ issues and can cause death.

We are kicking around the idea of treating him with a cpap , but just not getting him diagnosed yet. The treatment without a diagnosis might not be as effective as with, but something would have to be better than nothing. Maybe once he has enlisted I can talk him into getting diagnosed even while still in the military or right after his tour.

It's a tough subject here at home and I know my life could have been better if I were aware of my OSA and had been treated years ago. I slept through most of Jr High and High School. I dropped out of college because studying, sitting through lectures, labs and reading was hard to do without falling asleep. I am not a genius by any means , but am above average intelligence and shouldnt have had such a tough time in college.

I want my sons life to be better than mine of course and I want his health to be better too.

I think someone posted an article on the military and cpap being prescribed. You can try and do a search on this forum for the post and I will try to find it as well. I wonder if he got diagnosed in the military if they would give him a medical discharge. I dunno.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2014, 06:03 AM)me50 Wrote: I think someone posted an article on the military and cpap being prescribed. You can try and do a search on this forum for the post and I will try to find it as well. I wonder if he got diagnosed in the military if they would give him a medical discharge. I dunno.

Don't know about the discharge thing either, but his life in the barracks if he snores like a freight train will not be a pleasant experience. Read ice water bath in the middle of the night for openers here....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 79 3,242 25 minutes ago
Last Post: JCW888
  Juniper's questions juniper 4 73 3 hours ago
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 425 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 347 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 299 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.