Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New Member Questions on pressure, other settings
RE: New Member??
(03-19-2014, 11:36 PM)Bruno2 Wrote: Here is another issue I have been dealing with:

My 17 year old son seems to have the sleep apnea as well. I have been hesitant on getting him diagnosed because his dream as of now is to join the Marine Corps when he graduates next year. I dont know if sleep apnea will keep him from being able to enlist or not.

He is one the few and the proud OSA guys that have about 1% body fat. He is 6'1" and 138lbs. He runs several miles a week and has wrestled for over 10 years. However, it is easy to see that he has OSA and maybe somewhat severe. He sleeps all the time. Sometimes he will sleep on the couch when he gets home from school for a couple of hours. Then he gets up and has dinner, goes straight to bed and can hardly get up in the morning even after a good 10-12-14 hours of "sleep". He snores like you cant believe and I can hear him stop breathing and have trouble getting it going again.

I really wish I would have gotten set up on a cpap 25 yrs ago when I was his age. I was an athelete and worked out all the time, but I never progressed as well as the kids my age on my teams. I know it had to have a lot to do with my body not resting and healing itself properly at night.

So I want him to be healthy, but dont want to destroy his dreams and aspirations either. The Lord knows he could use a good stretch in the military. If I didnt think the military experience would be one of the best things for him I wouldnt hesitate to sign him up for a sleep study.
Hi Bruno2,
You might have your priorities a bit backwards. You say, "So I want him to be healthy, but dont want to destroy his dreams and aspirations either. The Lord knows he could use a good stretch in the military. If I didnt think the military experience would be one of the best things for him I wouldnt hesitate to sign him up for a sleep study.."
Wouldn't it be better to have him go for a sleep study first before he goes off into the military? This way, he can get started on his treatment and get used to it, just a thought here, given that there are many complications with untreated OSA.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The issue with that Trish is I don't know if they will take him if he is diagnosed with OSA and has that on his medical records.

I want to let him see first hand what the difference is in having a CPAP compared to how his life has been up to this point. Personally, I couldn't believe how good I felt even with just a few hours on the machine. I was awoke at 5:00 AM when the sleep study ended and didn't even have the machine on until 2:00 AM , but was rested enough that I didn't go back to bed when I got home like I normally would have. I feel strongly if he sleeps with it for a couple of nights that he may want to get the study done and deal with the outcome. I hope anyway!
Also, I am back. I didn't get my prescription from my Dr yet. However, I did call and get the info ready to pick up. I should have time Monday.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bruno2

I am just going to cut to the chase. Your son may not ever get a chance to join the military if he doesn't get tested and treatment. He may die in his sleep, he could have a heart attack and/or some other organ failure.

In the military, especially basic training, he won't be able to sleep 10, 12, 14 hours. And, it is doubtful he can even make it through basic training.

So, you have a choice as we all do:
1. Get your son tested and give him a chance at life OR
2. Don't get him tested and treated for whatever sleep disorder or medical disorder that he has and risk your son DYING.

It is just that simple

We would give EVERYTHING to have our child back on this earth
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bruno2,
What me50 said in the post above.!!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I am back. I have been busy with family, work and family members having health issues.

I finally got all of the equipment I ordered to get the brick up and running. I adjusted the mask head gear and hooked everything up.

My prescription looks like it says CPAP 12-18 cm , EPR @ 3 , 20 min ramp

I set the machine up at 12 with the 20 min ramp. However, not really sure what the EPR of 3 is or if it is necessary to set the machine up for that???

I didn't see a mode or place to set that on the machine. I did set the pressure at the lower number of 12 to start with. I suppose I should try that and see how it works for a few days and then maybe increase it?

I filled the humidifier up with distilled water then set it at #1. I would imagine I can tell if that needs to be increased?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 10:17 PM)Bruno2 Wrote: However, not really sure what the EPR of 3 is or if it is necessary to set the machine up for that???

I didn't see a mode or place to set that on the machine.
The clinical manual for 'Remstar Plus M Series' available by direct download (section two)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Exhalation pressure relief http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ure_relief
Exhalation pressure relief is a CPAP feature that lowers the pressure on a CPAP machine when the patient exhales in an effort to make breathing more comfortable. CPAP machines provide continuous positive airway pressure, making it easier for the patient to inhale, but harder to exhale. Exhalation pressure relief generally offers three possible settings: 1, 2 or 3, with each number signifying the number of cmH2O of pressure reduction. (A setting of 1 provides the least pressure relief; a setting of 3 provides the greatest relief).

There are several brand-specific terms for exhalation pressure relief. ResMed uses the term EPR. Philips-Respironics uses the term A-Flex for its APAP machines, Bi-Flex for its BiPAP machines, and C-Flex for its CPAP machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now I do have something that says C-flex. Last night was the first night I have used the machine and it was hard to exhale. I took he mask off after a couple of hours because of it.

I will read my manual about setting it up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked the boy up a Resmed S9 Autoset unit today that had just a few nights of use on it. It came with a new face mask and hose. I got it for $400.He is in bed snoozing away with it now. He was anxious to use it believe it or not .

I need to set it up with some tighter perimeters tomorrow. I didn't know how to access the clinicians mode until after he was asleep so I didn't want to wake him.

This machine is far superior to mine! I don't know that much about CPAPs', but it is obvious to even a novice. I cant even hear it run. Came with the heated humidifier. It doesn't have a memory card in it though. I would imagine they can be obtained somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing a big change in him in the near future.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2014, 11:57 PM)Bruno2 Wrote: I picked the boy up a Resmed S9 Autoset unit today that had just a few nights of use on it. It came with a new face mask and hose. I got it for $400.He is in bed snoozing away with it now. He was anxious to use it believe it or not .

I need to set it up with some tighter perimeters tomorrow. I didn't know how to access the clinicians mode until after he was asleep so I didn't want to wake him.

This machine is far superior to mine! I don't know that much about CPAPs', but it is obvious to even a novice. I cant even hear it run. Came with the heated humidifier. It doesn't have a memory card in it though. I would imagine they can be obtained somewhere.

Hi Bruno2,
It's great to hear that you were able to get your son a machine and I wish him good luck.
You can get SD cards anywhere, they usually come with a 2gig card.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 07:30 PM)trish6hundred Wrote:
(04-07-2014, 11:57 PM)Bruno2 Wrote: I picked the boy up a Resmed S9 Autoset unit today that had just a few nights of use on it. It came with a new face mask and hose. I got it for $400.He is in bed snoozing away with it now. He was anxious to use it believe it or not .

Hi Bruno2,
It's great to hear that you were able to get your son a machine and I wish him good luck.
You can get SD cards anywhere, they usually come with a 2gig card.

Is the SD card something that is CPAP specific or can you get one at the office supply place? In other words do I need to be looking at a medical equip supplier?

The data on the machine said he was 12.2 cm on the average. The perimeters are set between 5 and 15. I left it on the auto set mode too.He went with auto on for that setting and 40 minutes of ramp time. I am sure that will give him plenty of xbox time before he dozes off.

On the lighter side of things he didn't come home to take a nap after school. He went and played rugby with his buddies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 78 3,232 1 hour ago
Last Post: Suzee
  Juniper's questions juniper 4 71 2 hours ago
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 425 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 347 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 299 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.