Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New & Pressures so High I am Embarassed
Question 
New & Pressures so High I am Embarassed
Hi all-
Another new user here with the usual confusion and need for advice.

I have been on Bipap, now Vpap for a little over a month after being diagnosed with extremely severe apnea. (Don't know how I functioned before- it didn't seem THAT bad).
My occasions per hour were over 100 - i cannot even bring myself to type what the actual number is. My prescription was for 27/22 and most machines only go up to 25.
I am taking this seriously and have been compliant, but it does not stop me from feeling like a freak because my numbers are so high.

When i switched from leaky versions full face masks and BIPAP to a nasal mask and a variable machine, I was able to sleep on my side and stomach and according to what I can read from the Resmed screen each morning, my pressures have been running about 14-17.
Can sleeping on my side make such a large difference?
Is anyone else out there on such high pressure levels as I was?

I have to give kudos to the person from the home health care company that fits, trains and delivers the equipment. She advocated on my behalf with my pulmonologist/sleep doctor to change me to the VPAP and allow me to gat a "normal" machine (one that did not go over 25). She is really working on my behalf and with my interests in mind.

This is a great site. I am glad I found you all!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New & Pressures so High I am Embarassed
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

You are lucky to have a DME that advocates on your behalf.

As to your question about pressures, I was at about 16 when I was first diagnosed for OSA in 2002. I was a lot heavier then.

Since then, I have lost a little over 100 lbs. However, I am still on APAP therapy. The pressure is a lot less now though.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When folks lay on their backs, gravity assists in closing the throat so more apneas happen. So a mask allowing you to get off your back would mean less apneas. The required pressure would also go down since it doesn't have to fight gravity in opening your throat.

And, there is absolutely no reason to be embarrassed about your numbers. None whatsoever. We don't do the "my apnea is worse than yours" dance here. We are more into the "how can we help you" dance style. So spout off all the numbers you want! We won't laugh or point fingers.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the kind words and support. I am already finding so much help and useful information on this site. It is great that everyone is sharing their experiences.
Post Reply Post Reply
Carol,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and I hope you've gotten over your embarassment. Would you be embarassed if you had diabetes, heart fibrilations, high blood pressure, etc. No, you have a medical condition. There is no fault or shame in any way.

Please talk to us. We can hopefully help. At the least we can listen. Everyone here is on the hose. We understand and want to help!
Post Reply Post Reply
PAP is nothing to be embarrassed about.
By using your PAP regularly...you,re being pro-active in your own health and well-being.
Welcome to the forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carol:Welcome to the forum
I am glad you found us don't be embarrassed ,there is nothing to be embarrassed about ,all of us learn as we go and you will to ,I know when i came to this forum it was good to talk to other people that understood what i was going through. you will find a lot of very knowledgeable people here that don't mind helping you.
Sleep-well

I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.
Robert H. Schuller
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi carol1944, First, WELCOME! to the forum! and we are HAPPY you found us. PLEASE, don't worry 'bout sharing your numbers, no one will laugh at you, we just want to help. You are very fortunate that your DME spoke up for you, (Clapping my hands.)
Anyway, Best of luck to you on your CPAP therapy journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
the auto should adjust to pressure needed so I'll guess most of your time is spent well below 27. I can't even exhale at 20cm. Be happy you have huge numbers like 100 an hour. It means you're breathing is starting back 100 times an hour. I have my apneas down to 1.3 but when my breathing stops it doesn't start back up until I wake up feeling like tortured death.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2012, 03:33 PM)sharkcity Wrote: I have my apneas down to 1.3 but when my breathing stops it doesn't start back up until I wake up feeling like tortured death.

Shark,

Can we assume that the above statement refers to pre-PAP therapy?

If it refers to present conditions, you need to get back with the DME/sleep doc and find out why the machine is not working!!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 301 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 113 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 142 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 184 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 175 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,642 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 276 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.