[Pressure] New machine feels different than old!
millieg Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed 6 LW / ResMed Escape II
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage FX for Her
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
New machine feels different than old!
I have replaced my ResMed S6 Lightweight with the Escape II because Jetblue won't let the older machine fly. I set the pressure on the Escape to 12 like the S6, but it feels much stronger. I even double checked to make sure. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Could the S6 gotten weaker over time? I don't usually fool around with stuff like this on my own, I'm a rule follower, but I needed to get the new machine in time for a vacation. So I'm just a little nervous about setting the machine up myself. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
01-30-2015 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: New machine feels different than old!
Hi millieg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your S6LW is a very old machine. Is your Escape2 an S8 machine? If so, that’s an older machine as well.
These machines wear out over time so the “newer” machine is probably putting out more air.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
01-31-2015 10:30 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

My guess is that the S6 was no longer putting out the pressure it needed to. The machines of that age needed regular calibration every year or so. So when you turned on your "new" machine, it is probably running at the correct pressure but feels much stronger.

But my question is how on earth did Jet Blue even know or care about the age of your machine?! Do you intend to use it in-flight?

Your "new" machine isn't that new. If you ever have the chance, consider going to Supplier #2 in our Supplier's List (link at the top of every page) and purchasing an S9 model. And while you are at it, spend a little more and get an Elite or Autoset. It sounds as if you are doing your own treatment. If you are, then a data capable machine would be best. When you return from your vacation, come back here and start a new thread about getting a new machine. We'll help you with it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-31-2015 05:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
brianwood619 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 16-22cm/h2o
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

You can get a gauge to attache to your hose to see if the machine is putting out what it is supposed to. I agree with everyone else, the machine just wore out and was not producing what it was supposed to and over time you just adjusted to it. Now you will have to reacquaint yourself with the proper pressure from the new machine. hang in there it shouldnt take that long
02-01-2015 09:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,032 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Feels like my inhalation is cut off by APAP (Dreamstation)?! Snurkel 16 923 08-05-2016 05:26 PM
Last Post: Snurkel
  If AirSense10 EPR 3 feels good, might BIPAP be even better? Carbon 28 1,804 04-28-2016 07:15 AM
Last Post: Carbon
  Is this what cpap pressure feels like? SephixT 9 1,697 12-02-2015 05:49 PM
Last Post: SaldusMiegas
  feels like I am suffocating lolewis 6 1,473 08-29-2015 05:19 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 3,779 04-06-2014 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2