Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New to Apnea Scene
New to Apnea Scene
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and also the Apnea scene.

I have a ResMed S10 AutoSence which I believe is one of the best.

I'm trying 2 face masks, a Mirage FX and a Quatro fx. The Mirage (a nose mask) fits well without leaking but I sometimes do the mouth breathing. Will that get better in time?
The Quatro (a full mask) is giving me big problems with leaking? Any suggestions?
I have "sleepyHead" which appears to have lots of great information.
The ResMed "MyAir" seems to be a waste of time to look at! (hardly any information?) Your thoughts?
With my machine on "Auto Pressure" I'm averaging around 9 and having a max around 14.5. I feel I should have my minimum pressure set at around 8. It's at 5 now. The minimum should be set close to the average.......right? I left the max at 20.
Will much appreciate any words of wisdom you can pass on to me.
Thank youThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Apnea Scene
yes, the Resmed Autosense is one of the best. You got a data capable auto-titrating machine and that is what you want.

for mout breathing, try to master the "tongue suck" technique. Place your tongue on the roof of your mouth and suck it lightly to create a gentle vacuum. This helps many of us not to breathe through our mouths. Next is to try a chinstrap and after that - FFM.

Im not a FFM user but I understand mask liners can be key here, along with getting a good fit and an evenly adjusted head piece. I use the P10 - there is none of that!

your analysis of the software matches mine

How long have you been a hosehead? unless breathing is difficult at 5 you might leave it for a bit while you accustom. if you have a hard time breathing, certainly get comfy. Generally, you should let yourself get used to the treatment before making too many adjustments - that is the beauty of an auto - but you are right, you will want a tighter range in the future.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gerald,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you feel like you aren't getting enough air at a pressure of 5?
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gerald!

Welcome

Don't be bashful, try as many masks as you can.
I had to try 8-9 to find 3 that I could work with.

I have some nasal blockage so the full face masks are what works for me.

Wink

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 07:12 PM)DariaVader Wrote: yes, the Resmed Autosense is one of the best. You got a data capable auto-titrating machine and that is what you want.

for mout breathing, try to master the "tongue suck" technique. Place your tongue on the roof of your mouth and suck it lightly to create a gentle vacuum. This helps many of us not to breathe through our mouths. Next is to try a chinstrap and after that - FFM.

Im not a FFM user but I understand mask liners can be key here, along with getting a good fit and an evenly adjusted head piece. I use the P10 - there is none of that!

your analysis of the software matches mine

How long have you been a hosehead? unless breathing is difficult at 5 you might leave it for a bit while you accustom. if you have a hard time breathing, certainly get comfy. Generally, you should let yourself get used to the treatment before making too many adjustments - that is the beauty of an auto - but you are right, you will want a tighter range in the future.
ThanksI will try your suggestions, much appreciated!Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 08:52 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Hi Gerald!

Welcome

Don't be bashful, try as many masks as you can.
I had to try 8-9 to find 3 that I could work with.

I have some nasal blockage so the full face masks are what works for me.

Wink

Sleep-well

I have some nasal problems also. I am ok at first and then later on in the night my nose closes off? Then the mouth breathing begins. I have the humidifier with a heated hose set at auto? Would higher humidity help? Worth a try I guess.Take off auto and set manually?
After the clinic test I took my results and I left them and bought my Machine on line. It was pay$2600.00 + or $1000.00 for the same thing so don't have the changing mask option. (don't think that was there with them either after a couple of weeks)
I like the fit of the nose mask better but the full mask seems to do a better job, just have to get the leaking thing under control.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 08:11 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Gerald,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you feel like you aren't getting enough air at a pressure of 5?
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thanksyes, at 5 pressure I felt I was low on air. As the auto setting puts me at an average of 9-9.5 throughout the night I feel setting the start air at 8 should be good as thats where it is and higher after a while anyway.

Do you have someone monitoring this for you? I have a friend thats blind also but he can almost do everything I can, I'm sure you are very capable also.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
regarding humidity - experiment. Some folk need really high and some folk need low or none; others do best at the default medium. Its funny, but either too high or too low will stuff you up! Needs may also change with circumstances - for instance, I always turn humidity up when i get upper respiratory illness, or allergies as it helps me to loosen up the crap that likes to cause asthma!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
High humidity fan here too.
I had to build high capacity long range water tanks on to my installation
because I'd run out of water early in the morning and wake up with parched
interior!
Now I am good, even if I sleep in late!
(Then the cat stomps me awake by that time)

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 12:17 PM)Shastzi Wrote: High humidity fan here too.
I had to build high capacity long range water tanks on to my installation
because I'd run out of water early in the morning and wake up with parched
interior!
Now I am good, even if I sleep in late!
(Then the cat stomps me awake by that time)

Smile

How did you work more water capacity into your system? I am curious because I have thought about the same thing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 769 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,031 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,488 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,628 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,882 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,935 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,586 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.