Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New to CPAP - obviously questions :-)
RE: New to CPAP - obviously questions :-)
Hmm. Not quite sure if IPAP 17.5 is enough. I tried and subjectively felt really bad when I woke up (AHI 7.5 at that time), so I decided to up the IPAP to 19 for the rest of my sleep (~3 hours - AHI went down to 5.3, so I'd say it has to be around 3 mathematically) and felt a lot better in the morning.
Could you provide some feedback on the attached graphs, to make sure it isn't only my gut feeling?

(if this forum alters the filenames: Full night, some detail in the IPAP17.5 phase with OAs, first half IPAP17.5, second half with IPAP19 - VS2 turned off)

Thanks,
Mario.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a big fan of the variable pressure support. I think you'd be better off just setting both the minimum and maximum PS to 5cm. I think this would help better than increasing the maximum IPAP. Also I think your still getting some clusters from positional issues that Sleeprider mentioned before.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
So, a few more days more in my new adventure. I think I'm doing pretty well. Both with my machine adjustments and mentally dealing that I'm sleeping with a mask.

Very weird (actually amazing) for me is, that is pretty damn obvious when I had a few beers before sleep and you immedialy see it with an higher AHI - I guess that's not what the doctor ordered :-)

Do you see anything else, or have any more suggestions? Or should I just leave it alone for a few weeks?

Thanks,
Mario.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think bumping the EPAP to 12cm will put you pretty close to where you need to be.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You are hitting the max pressure of 19 may be worth opening it to the max of 20
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I agree with both of you. I'm only unsure if the mask will start leaking again at 20. I'll give it a try... I thought I didn't need that high pressure, when my nose was not suffed as it is now (and for the last few days)

How do you longterm guys deal with a stuffy nose? Increase the pressure, or leave it alone? It seems my sinuses are affected and I tend to have headaches when bowing down. Stuff I didn't experience since I quit smoking...
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can tolerate nasal pillows without mouth leaks, they are the best at opening up your sinuses. Sinus passages are located in your face in exactly the places a CPAP mask puts pressure, and any inflammation or congestion just gets worse with a mask. Keep mask straps fairly loose. A tight fit is not always better. Flonase and nasal rinses may provide some relief.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the meantime I tried the dreamwear nasal mask. Though it’s very comfortable, it seems I can’t keep my mouth shut ;-) honestly I really like the ffm better and switched back to that.

My AHI is now around 2 (0.8 lowest - 3.2 max)

That being said, tonight I had a AHI of over 9. With a lot of OAs. No leaks, everything looks fine in sleepyhead.
As a new *pap User I tend to be worried a little. Not after one night of course, but if it continues... ;-)

With your collective experience, is it normal to have some sh**ty nights?
Post Reply Post Reply
We all have rubbish nights from time to time maybe you spent more time on your back, as I think your machine is not an auto it cannot increase pressure on its own when you require more pressure due to back sleeping. Post a typical daily graph from sleepyhead and we can see what’s going on but normally to reduce OA’s the epap needs to be higher
Post Reply Post Reply
Little update after 2 months of CPAP and 3 weeks  of the new pressures:

AHI is an average of 3.5 - not too bad from 86.2 measurement without CPAP in the lab :-)

I still have no real idea how to interpret the sleepy head graphs -- especially what is falsely flagged during REM sleep - I just don't get it :-)

I do rarely/never see 2 or 3 nights with similar events. Meaning that the pie chart in SleepyHead jumps around like crazy when scrolling through the days. Is this normal? One day FLs, the other day OAs, next day Hs again... Weird. Anyway I decided not to tweak anything without your help, except I upped the max IPAP to 20 as I now use the humidifier all the time.

Please find a few typical nights attached. Plus a 2 zooms that I would say are flase positives during REM sleep.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

Thanks! 
Mario.

and the last 2
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,594 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.