Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New user ResMed S9 Pressure settings
New user ResMed S9 Pressure settings
I`m a new user to these machines. My pressure is set at 12. The first night I used it, it was great. I slept about 8 hrs. I haven`t been able to do that sinse. I feel like I am unable to exhale, like the pressure is way to high. Is this something that I just need to get used to? I have the mask that goes over the nose. Any help would be great. I haven`t called the Doctor yet, but if i remove it every night....it will never work.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user ResMed S9 Pressure settings
Heal, what model S9 do you have? Some of the models have an EPR adjustment that can detect your exhalation and automatically reduce the air pressure. Some of the other forum members will be along shortly to offer more advice. And Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2013, 11:45 PM)PollCat Wrote: Heal, what model S9 do you have? Some of the models have an EPR adjustment that can detect your exhalation and automatically reduce the air pressure. Some of the other forum members will be along shortly to offer more advice. And Welcome

Thanks for the quick responce...I think mine has that, and its set to "3" I dont know where to find the exact model, but I went into the setup mode and remember seeing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you haven' t already done so, check out CPAP set up manuals section http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup for your machine.

I shut the EPR off on my machine; after sleeping for more than a decade with a constant pressure of 15, I found the experience of reduced air pressure on the exhale, unsettling. [I'd offer more words of wisdom, but to be honest with you, I'm ever tired and headed for bed.] One of the other S9 users should be with you shortly.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2013, 12:10 AM)PollCat Wrote: If you haven' t already done so, check out CPAP set up manuals section

I shut the EPR off on my machine; after sleeping for more than a decade with a constant pressure of 15, I found the experience of reduced air pressure on the exhale, unsettling. [I'd offer more words of wisdom, but to be honest with you, I'm ever tired and headed for bed.] One of the other S9 users should be with you shortly.

I have just now looked at the videos. They were very helpfull, and you as well.
Thanks, and goodnight
Post Reply Post Reply
Next to stop/start button would shows the model ... AutoSet, Elite, Escape, Escape Auto
AutoSet and Elite are data capable machines .. Escape models are Not

This might be some help, please read: "Tips for new CPAP users"
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='zonk' pid='33601' dateline='1365054185']
Next to stop/start button would shows the model ... AutoSet, Elite, Escape, Escape Auto
AutoSet and Elite are data capable machines .. Escape models are Not

This might be some help, please read: "Tips for new CPAP users"

Autoset it is....Thanks, I`ll check out the link
Post Reply Post Reply
Healinhand, as with all things CPAP, the EPR setting is a personal choice and something you may need to test and adjust, I have the same machine, mine was originally off and I couldn't breathe because I couldn't exhale, after trying 1, 2 then 3, I found 3 the most comfortable setting for me, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, heelinhand. About your initial question re: pressure. I would say yes, it is a matter of simply getting used to the 12cm pressure. Most adjustments with xPAP therapy and equipment require time and patience for patterns to emerge. I believe you will find over time that your machine's current pressure will no longer seem high, rather just "normal."
Post Reply Post Reply
As a P.S., I would say that after becoming used to higher pressures, the main thing I am aware of is the battle with mask leaks when my pressure gets up close to 20cm. The pressure itself is barely something I notice, but the sound of mask seal leaks is a problem because it tends to wake me and make me have to deal with trying to reseal the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 11 17,242 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: cps22
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,567 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 164 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 170 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 194 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 152 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
Cool [Pressure] Finally a Resmed user!!! Need Help!!! :) mrsleepyhead2001 2 183 04-01-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.