Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] New user with pressure problem
New user with pressure problem
Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with Severe OSA: Lowest saturation: 75%, 170 hypopneas, 61 obstructive apneas. RDI 49.1/hr, arousal index 29.4/hr.

I was given a prescription for a CPAP by my doctor. Ordered an S9 AutoSet CPAP Machine and S9 Series H5i Heated Humidifier with Climate Control , with an AirFit P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask.

The issue I'm currently having is that it's waking me up! The pressure is so great after a while that I'm not exhaling as much air as I'm taking in - so the air builds up in my mouth and then "explodes" out of it - about every minute or so.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone know what I can do about this? (I've only used the CPAP four times now, and that didn't seem to happen the first time I used it, but with the second, third, and fourth times it's now become an issue.) How can I possibly get any sleep if this thing keeps waking me up?

Thanks for any help/info!

p.s. I'm SO glad I found this forum! I've learned a lot already!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user with pressure problem
I suspect the problem is the machine is running at it's default settings. At that, the minimum pressure is 4 and the maximum is 20. Are you planning on baking a blackbird pie? If so, 4 and 20 is great. But if not, and what you would really rather do is have a nice therapy, I think the range needs tightened.

Did they make any recommendations as to your setting when they did the sleep test? For instance, if they did a "titration" then you would have a recommended pressure such as 8, or 12, or something. They probably did not do that figuring they would let the S9 take care of it with the 4 and 20 blackbird settings.

What I would do: I would start raising the minimum pressure setting and lowering the maximum. Say for the first night something like minimum of 6 and maximum of 14. That's still a pretty wide range for my tastes, but would be a good place to start.

The machine also has a "ramp" feature that starts at a low pressure then slowly builds towards the top as you fall asleep. I personally don't like the ramp but many do. If you leave the ramp on, I would suggest starting it at pressure 6 instead of 4.

Next I would download the Sleepyhead software from the link at the top of the page and install it on the computer. That way you'll be able to see your results day by day and make adjustments when appropriate.

How do you set the pressures? Find the link for the clinician manual from this website and download it. That will tell you everything you never thought you'd need to know about your machine.

.........and welcome aboard! We're happy you found us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brick 
With a full face mask you would be able to breath through your nose and mouth. Would be an adjustment for you but might be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cr0ak,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the software and readout what your machine is doing via the SD card.
It will tell you what the machine is set for; and it will tell you where it's going within the set range.

Many people like the P10 -- but, it's not for everyone. The right mask is essential to getting accustomed to therapy.

There is also an EPR setting that can lower exhalation pressure by up to 3 cm. Some people don't like it; some do.
It might hold the key to increasing your comfort.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings cr0ak,

Glad you found us! As a newbie myself I cannot add to anything that has already been said.

I have the same CPAP/APAP as you - I really like it. Definitely get the Sleepyhead software and see what is going on with the pressures. My pressures are set at 7 to 15 and do very well for me.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2014, 11:13 AM)retired_guy Wrote: I suspect the problem is the machine is running at it's default settings. At that, the minimum pressure is 4 and the maximum is 20. Are you planning on baking a blackbird pie? If so, 4 and 20 is great. But if not, and what you would really rather do is have a nice therapy, I think the range needs tightened.

Did they make any recommendations as to your setting when they did the sleep test? For instance, if they did a "titration" then you would have a recommended pressure such as 8, or 12, or something. They probably did not do that figuring they would let the S9 take care of it with the 4 and 20 blackbird settings.

What I would do: I would start raising the minimum pressure setting and lowering the maximum. Say for the first night something like minimum of 6 and maximum of 14. That's still a pretty wide range for my tastes, but would be a good place to start.

The machine also has a "ramp" feature that starts at a low pressure then slowly builds towards the top as you fall asleep. I personally don't like the ramp but many do. If you leave the ramp on, I would suggest starting it at pressure 6 instead of 4.

Next I would download the Sleepyhead software from the link at the top of the page and install it on the computer. That way you'll be able to see your results day by day and make adjustments when appropriate.

How do you set the pressures? Find the link for the clinician manual from this website and download it. That will tell you everything you never thought you'd need to know about your machine.

.........and welcome aboard! We're happy you found us.

Thank you for all that info, retired_guy!

Yes, the recommendation according to the script is 9 cm H2O (if that's what you're referring to). I see nothing else in the script that indicates anything else.

I need to do a lot more reading so I can understand all of this stuff. I thought that once I got the machine and started using it, I'd finally get a good night's sleep and wouldn't be so tired all the time during the day. It seems like I get little to nothing done around here. My energy level is about a 2 (on a scale of 1 to 10).

And now I have to deal with figuring out how to set this thing? heh... Oh well... hopefully it'll be worth it!

Thanks, again, for the info! Will definitely download the Sleepyhead software. I had removed the SD card and stuck it into my computer, but (obviously) no programs that are currently installed on my system can read the files (although I can see what files are on the card).
Post Reply Post Reply
It will definitely be worth the effort. May take a while but stick with it and you will reap the rewards.
Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Ok! Based on the recommended setting of 9, I would set the machine to something like minimum of 8, maximum of 12, and I would turn the EPR to "ON" with a setting of 2. That allows for an exhale pressure of 6 and maintains the min/max inhale pressures of 8 to 12. That should be a good place to start.

To learn all about how you do that, you can request a copy of the Clinician's guide by following your nose through this thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

It's not difficult to change the settings, but a tad confusing to begin with maybe.

Once you get some data results in Sleepyhead, shout out so we can help cheer you on.
Post Reply Post Reply
9 is a good setting for the p10 nasal mask I am at 13-20 and the mask doesn't fight me so you should be good. check the pillow sizes as maybe you are using a small and need to be using the medium. I believe that s9 has a "mask fit" feature. Change the pillows try different one's and the mask fit feature and see what you like best. Do it sitting in a comfy chair, sit back put on the mask and practice breathing in and out against the pressure, resist the urges to open your mouth and allow your body and mind to acclimate. Good luck, good you are getting treated, you will get the benefits, be patient, nothing happens right off.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,322 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,456 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 328 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 388 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 227 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.