Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Newbee - 1st Evening Failure
RE: Newbee - 1st Evening Failure
OK gotcha, sounds good, and you're welcome. We're a bunch of coffee addicts and then wanna complain we can't sleep. Even so we help each other sleep better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2020, 07:24 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I am pretty certain an Auto Ramp refers to time, it automatically switches from Ramp to therapy settings when it thinks you've actually gone to sleep. However, note if you're not using Ramp now, if you can avoid it, I think it's best to avoid as it does seem to add variability to pressures and swings.

https://www.resmed.co.uk/patient/sleep-a...d-airmini/ :
So, how does AutoRamp know when you fall asleep?
Your AirSense 10 or AirMini will know you’re asleep within three minutes. That’s because the moment you turn on your device, AutoRamp is looking for three things:
a) 30 breaths of stable breathing (roughly 3 minutes)
b) 5 consecutive snore breaths
c) 3 obstructive apneas or hypopneas within 2 minutes

Given that all of the CA "events" appear before any indication of stable breathing it's very likely they're SWJ.
Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense. Thanks for adding the info in. Now we know. Of course I used the best Ramp, none. But use what you need to get the sleep while mask on.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good Morning.

Things went a bit better last night I think, though still not anywhere near as good as they can. The Melatonin does not seem to have helped and it still took me over and hour to fall asleep.

I changed the EPR from 2 down to 1. It made little difference that I could feel, perhaps a tad comfier but very little difference. It certainly does seem to have had an effect on the results shown in Oscar. When I finally got to sleep I had a decent sleep, albeit not a long one. Whilst trying to get to sleep I still get that feeling whereby I seem to lack air for a second. Whether that is a CA and then I breathe, or simply that the cpap is slow to increase pressure, I don't know. I do find that claustrophobic and a bit unnerving at times.

I woke up about 2am, after about 90 minutes sleep, again I was scared, but do not know why. I absolutely jumped up, in panic mode, but then calmed down within a minute or so. The problem I find is that after I wake up, I go for a quick trip to the toilet but then I cannot work up the determination to get back onto the machine. I do not even seem to try. Sad I simply lay down and normally fall asleep very fast....... but I am not on therapy Sad I need to address this so it doesn't keep happening.

Oscar Charts below, thanks in advance for any comments or advice. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I live in the Land Downunder
Post Reply Post Reply
You're sneaking up on "good," Snooks. As before, ignore the CAs, which happened while you were not fully asleep. (Clue: the bristly appearance of the flow rate graph.) Once you dropped off, the CAs stopped, as before, and you had a nice-looking stretch of sleep there.

When you get up for a bathroom break, do you take your mask off? If so, could you just decouple the short hose from the long hose and wear the mask into the bathroom? That might make it more likely that you'd hook yourself back up after the break.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 04:22 PM)Dormeo Wrote: You're sneaking up on "good," Snooks.  As before, ignore the CAs, which happened while you were not fully asleep.  (Clue: the bristly appearance of the flow rate graph.)  Once you dropped off, the CAs stopped, as before, and you had a nice-looking stretch of sleep there.

When you get up for a bathroom break, do you take your mask off?  If so, could you just decouple the short hose from the long hose and wear the mask into the bathroom?  That might make it more likely that you'd hook yourself back up after the break.

Dormeo,

Yes I take the mask straight off, due to being in panic mode and I immediately check how long I have been asleep and then I go to the bathroom. It probably should be noted that I do not think that I have woken up to use the bathroom, although I do urinate.

Given 3 out of the 4 evenings has seen my waking up scared for some reason, I think whatever happened, is what made me wake up. Whether that is an event in Oscar that I can't see, a bad dream, I don't know.............

I do feel way more confident as each evening goes by, although I do remain concerned that I can feel my "reaching for a breath" a few times, whilst trying to fall asleep. The hour or so it takes to fall asleep is very annoying and very long. I am happy now with regards to how much faster and easier it is to get a good seal on my mask.

If I could get another 2hrs, or even 3 hrs on the machine, I would be more than satisfied with that Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you should experiment with auto-ramp on, ramp pressure same as min pressure and EPR off. If you're feeling air starved before you sleep then increase ramp&min pressure. It might be that the pressure variation with EPR is disturbing you somehow.

Personally I find EPR feels unnatural and run with it off. Initially feels harder to breath out but after a while (minutes) it feels natural.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 07:38 PM)kappa Wrote: I think you should experiment with auto-ramp on, ramp pressure same as min pressure and EPR off. If you're feeling air starved before you sleep then increase ramp&min pressure. It might be that the pressure variation with EPR is disturbing you somehow.

Personally I find EPR feels unnatural and run with it off. Initially feels harder to breath out but after a while (minutes) it feels natural.

Kappa, for some reason I feel uneasy starting the ramp function. I agree with you about the EPR, i certainly am not a fan of that either.

I'm going to have a think about it and decide what to do.

Thanks for your suggestion Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Understand the unease. Here's an example of auto ramp in action... ramp pressure is set to 6, min pressure at 8. The ramp seems to start on a minute (or 30s?) boundary after 30 stable breaths and in this instance takes 2 minutes to ramp from 6cm to 8cm (1 min/cm?). Normal pressure increases due to flow limitations occur soon after that...

and another example with longer sleep latency...

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice Kappa, will certainly check it out and consider it.

Cheers Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,287 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  CPAP Failure, ASV Attempter, Still Failure ophiuchus 16 1,419 07-10-2023, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ophiuchus
  Set myself up for failure? Newbie768 4 538 01-15-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  [Pressure] Maximum pressure in heart failure? edgnoj 0 483 11-04-2022, 04:58 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  Resmed F20 Touch (foam) failure points snorin2 2 740 09-03-2022, 01:54 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Would appreciate any input, failure to find 8 hrs of sleep in more than a year. SammNeedsHelp 8 1,060 08-01-2022, 04:38 PM
Last Post: SammNeedsHelp
  The Most Likely Part Failure Sleeprider 37 4,954 06-24-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: AZGuy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.