Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Newbee - 1st Evening Failure
RE: Newbee - 1st Evening Failure
Hi Guys.

Last night was just a mess and  dreadful. I felt ok in the mask, I did not take the Melatonin last night because the only two evenings I have taken it, I did not see, or feel any effect. So i figured there was no sense in taking it and altering any results in any way.

Two sessions again, the results almost habitual now. The first one lasted almost an hour and I was certainly getting sleepy before I started but when i laid down, nope. Tried hard to relax, tried not to move around or kick much but lasted only 50 minutes. I just felt like I was not getting to sleep so got up, had a drink of water, bathroom, laid around for 50 minutes or so and then was getting sleepy so I started again.

I was possibly getting there and then got this stupid little cough in my throat. I coughed a few times over 5 minutes or so and then I felt absolutely wide awake. I do believe that the "coughing thing" is a nervous, anxiety thing. I got up and I was intending to try again in another 30 minutes or so, but i fell asleep sitting on the lounge. I woke up a couple of hours later and at almost 5am, I had no desire to hook up and try the machine again.

Only settings changed were to:

1. Turn off EPR
2. Min Pressure - 8
3. Max Pressure - 14

Nothing else on the machine was touched. I felt comfy with pressures. I felt like I was trying to sleep, but that I was waiting to feel any events. I also felt that starting a bit higher than 8 would be no issue, as the air flow did not feel intrusive.

We have little data to work with, but what little we have I found was interesting. Let me know if you want anything blown up larger and please advise in specific, basic terms and I will try to do it properly (lol).

Thanks for your input.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I live in the Land Downunder
Post Reply Post Reply
flow limitations and ca are caused by something.  that screenshot looks a lot like periodic limb movement except longer between spikey inhales than I've seen before.  I wonder what we'll see if you zoom in to a 10 minute view scale.  go to daily/events tab, look at the bottom left for the slider. set it to 10, scroll through the 50 minute area you posted above and post another shot at this 10 minute view.  attached is an example of what my plm looks like in my flow rate.

edit: I should add that sometimes there are events, mostly h and ca, between the larger inhales.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hope this helps and is as requested. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2020, 05:22 PM)Snooks Wrote: Hope this helps and is as requested. Smile

This is a second screen shot attempt that may be better suited for your needs.

Post Reply Post Reply
One thing i have struggled with for years, given the OSA and being way too fat, i get a shortness of breath if i ever lay on my back. I then need to take in a big mouthful and often yawn as i do so. My wife claims that I do occasionally sleep on my back. Even laying on my back in broad daylight I would have an issue breathing and i NEVER recall sleeping on my back, only my side.

This also can be caused by AFIB which is what I have and progressing towards heart failure if i do not control the OSA.

Well guess what? I'm an idiot Sad

I am doing these trials (sleeping) in my recliner chair because of my anxiety of going to bed and also so it does not impact too much on the wife whilst I get accustomed. WHAT A DINGBAT I am. I thought i had no issue breathing because i didn't feel that much on the cpap, but i bet if I can get into bed, I will improve significantly. How could I not realize that? Before CPAP i would NEVER lay in the recliner because of discomfort breathing.

In hospital during both sleep studies I had the head inclined at probably 20-30 degrees. I laid on my side Smile

I think I need to force myself to get into bed tonight and try that!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
great job with the 10 minute zoom. I don't see plm in that shot, just flow limitations. the 50 minute shot still makes me wonder. however, if you mean you think sleeping in the recliner is like sleeping on your back and you have trouble breathing while on your back, then that might be your answer. still, keep an eye out for the pattern similar to your longer shot & the example I posted if you continue to struggle to fall asleep on your side in bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2020, 08:15 PM)sheepless Wrote: great job with the 10 minute zoom. I don't see plm in that shot, just flow limitations. the 50 minute shot still makes me wonder. however, if you mean you think sleeping in the recliner is like sleeping on your back and you have trouble breathing while on your back, then that might be your answer. still, keep an eye out for the pattern similar to your longer shot & the example I posted if you continue to struggle to fall asleep on your side in bed.

Thanks so much for helping, i will be in bed tonight and post in the morning with a report on how it went.

Appreciate your assistance Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Last night was a only very short evening, but I do believe that we can learn a lot from the 50 odd minutes that I spent in bed.

It borders close on being ridiculous, but as mentioned in previous posts, last night I was going to sleep in my bed rather than the recliner chair and this is the first time I have actually slept in my bedroom since the C19 Virus started. This coincided with me being diagnosed with OSA of 72 events per hr.

I felt very uptight getting into bed, very strange, however I did calm down relatively fast. It was strange because this was the first time in bed, using a pillow as you do and getting comfy was quite awkward at first. I was quite aware the whole time that we would be mainly looking to see if we would have any Centrals and to pay attention to how I felt.

On numerous occasions I felt like I was going into shallow breath, that I was lacking incoming air and I believe that this triggered internal alarm bells and woke me up, or stopped me falling asleep just before I should have. I felt very ill at ease and certainly struggled being in the bedroom, from a mental aspect.

I got out of bed after around 50 minutes, was very uptight, to the extent that I did go back to bed but after around 10 minutes or so I was unable to stay in bed. I allowed myself to snooze in the front room rather than sleep in the bed and have cpap therapy.. The falling asleep and thinking that I could feel myself falling asleep and then stopping breathing, really un-nerved me.  Sad

I was surprised that the Machine Data shows only one event, I have posted a standard screenshot and an enlarged version. I think this clearly indicates that the issues of the last two days, the numerous "CA" events and the PLM are probably caused by sleeping in the recliner. It also clearly indicates that I have a mental situation that needs treatment, so I certainly will be booking in to try and get some more counselling. I think it is going to be incredibly hard to get to sleep without some sort of sleep aid, so I don't know what the hell to do because my Doctor will not give me one, despite asking numerous times over the last 6 months.

Would greatly appreciate any comments on the sleep data from last night. Actually, I would appreciate comments on anything, help is always appreciated. I really do not know what to do, or how to proceed tonight Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Snooks, I think you're right that you now need to be aiming to sleep in your bed. Stress and anxiety seem to be your main hurdles at present. The charts you've posted don't look to me as though you are doing much if any sleeping with the machine running.

Sometimes doctors will prescribe very low doses of anti-depressant meds to be taken before bedtime to help with sleep. Although the jury is out on whether this is effective, might it be something for you to discuss with your doctor?

I also wonder whether you'd benefit from trying the practices described here?

https://ggia.berkeley.edu/#filters=mindfulness

There is some pretty good science behind these ideas.

I believe your settings are just fine for now. When you can get in some more sleep with the machine, we may have better data and see some ways to fine-tune. But I think it would be beneficial for you not to focus on the settings at this point but to do all the things you can to reduce overall stress in your life and to maximize your chances for falling asleep more easily, and then staying asleep. Easier said than done, I know.

Please keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo, I will certainly go right through the Mindfulness site as meditation and self hypnosis are proven tools. In fact, I used self hypnosis recordings when i was a lot younger and playing the Pro Am Snooker Circuit.

I'm pretty sure that I still have a professionally produced recording aimed at helping you fall asleep,  from when i had a cancer scare many years ago. I will try and dig that up, it may well help Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,288 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  CPAP Failure, ASV Attempter, Still Failure ophiuchus 16 1,421 07-10-2023, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ophiuchus
  Set myself up for failure? Newbie768 4 539 01-15-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  [Pressure] Maximum pressure in heart failure? edgnoj 0 483 11-04-2022, 04:58 AM
Last Post: edgnoj
  Resmed F20 Touch (foam) failure points snorin2 2 741 09-03-2022, 01:54 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Would appreciate any input, failure to find 8 hrs of sleep in more than a year. SammNeedsHelp 8 1,061 08-01-2022, 04:38 PM
Last Post: SammNeedsHelp
  The Most Likely Part Failure Sleeprider 37 4,955 06-24-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: AZGuy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.