Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Newbie trial and error
Newbie trial and error
I just got my machine 3 days ago. My prescription is for a 6 so the tech set my AirSense on CPAP mode with an automatic ramp. The first two nights did not go well at all, I was only able to keep the mask (I started with a Wisp) for about an hour before I took it off because I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I searched through this forum yesterday to discover that starting out at a pressure of 4 was probably hurting me more than it was helping me since it seemed like I just couldn't get enough air. I also looked into the P10 nasal pillow mask to see if that might be a good option for me. After talking to my tech and getting the P10 and me playing with the pressure and ramp settings (I set my machine to auto 7-12 and turned the ramp off), I can say that I was able to keep the P10 on all night.

The only issue I had was that I had my humidity set too high (6/8) and my temp set too low (70) so in the middle of the night I got woken up by gurgling noises that were being caused by my tube being full of water. So after cleaning up that problem and setting my humidity to 3 and my temp to 74, the rest of the evening went well.

I live in the Midwest, it is cold outside and about 68 in my house when I am sleeping with about 40% relative humidity. I like the feel of the air to be a bit cooler, how low do you think I can run the temp and not get moisture in the tube? What should I be running the humidity at to maintain that perfect balance? Right now I am in manual mode so I can adjust the temp/humidity but would it be better to be in the auto mode? Will the auto mode adjust both temp/humidity to the optimum level? Thanks for all the advice, it has been a big help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie trial and error
If you don't have the heated ClimateLine hose, get one. If you have one, make sure it's connected properly. I suppose there's some chance the hose or your unit are defective and you're not getting any heat in the hose.

If the hose is functioning properly, I guess all you can do is fiddle with the temperature and humidity settings until you get something that works for you. On my ResMed S9 Auto, I just have a manual temperature control that has always been set to 80F. I've never had a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 08:20 AM)KeepinMommaAwake Wrote: I just got my machine 3 days ago. My prescription is for a 6 so the tech set my AirSense on CPAP mode with an automatic ramp. The first two nights did not go well at all, I was only able to keep the mask (I started with a Wisp) for about an hour before I took it off because I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I searched through this forum yesterday to discover that starting out at a pressure of 4 was probably hurting me more than it was helping me since it seemed like I just couldn't get enough air. I also looked into the P10 nasal pillow mask to see if that might be a good option for me. After talking to my tech and getting the P10 and me playing with the pressure and ramp settings (I set my machine to auto 7-12 and turned the ramp off), I can say that I was able to keep the P10 on all night.

The only issue I had was that I had my humidity set too high (6/8) and my temp set too low (70) so in the middle of the night I got woken up by gurgling noises that were being caused by my tube being full of water. So after cleaning up that problem and setting my humidity to 3 and my temp to 74, the rest of the evening went well.

I live in the Midwest, it is cold outside and about 68 in my house when I am sleeping with about 40% relative humidity. I like the feel of the air to be a bit cooler, how low do you think I can run the temp and not get moisture in the tube? What should I be running the humidity at to maintain that perfect balance? Right now I am in manual mode so I can adjust the temp/humidity but would it be better to be in the auto mode? Will the auto mode adjust both temp/humidity to the optimum level? Thanks for all the advice, it has been a big help.

I live in Minnesota, Cold out at night, 63 inside during bedtime, I have the heated hose and run the Humidity on Auto with no rainout, and never a dry mouth. All is good Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KeepinMommaAwake,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You are right, this is trial and error, you'll need to experiment 'till you find what works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success to you as you fine tune and continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a newbie too, and I have the same problems in finding the "Goldilock" settings for heat and humidity given the bedroom temperature and humidity. The trick is to get it adjusted so that you have very little condensation and yet very little nasal/throat dryness. I'm still experimenting with that. If you don't already have one, get a ClimateLine hose. It was a big help for me.

My doc gave me a starting setting of 8, and told me to change it to 9 during my followup. I find it very easy to breathe at those settings - pleasant actually.

I'm also still fiddling with the mask tightness (nasal mask). When it is adjusted right, I can't even feel it on my face once it gets to body temperature, and that's a pleasant surprise. I never thought I could get used to wearing a mask on my face while sleeping.

After about six weeks of use, it is now part of my normal routine, and I wouldn't think of sleeping without it. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your only problem is condensation (rain out) in the hose, it can be solved by rerouting the hose. The hose needs to have no low spots in it for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the hose length. I have my CPAP on top of an attache case I layed down on the floor. I run the hose up to the top drawer in the 3 drawer dresser next to the bed and clamp it there with the drawer and then run it over to me on the bed. With the hose going up for several feet, if there is condensation in this length, it just runs back down into the humidifier tank and does not collect in a low spot and "gurgle". Some people run the hose up over the bed headboard. Some use commercial hose hangers.

Another fix for condensation is to insulate the hose. People have used old socks, old towels. commercial hose cozies and in some cases (like mine before I got the heated hose) we have also had to pull the excess hose length up under the covers with us.

What I think is the nicest fix is the heated hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I reset my machine to automatic and had better luck last night. I have the ClimateLine hose so rather than trying to outsmart my AirSense, I will try and let it do it's job.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 05:45 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I'm a newbie too, and I have the same problems in finding the "Goldilock" settings for heat and humidity given the bedroom temperature and humidity. The trick is to get it adjusted so that you have very little condensation and yet very little nasal/throat dryness. I'm still experimenting with that. If you don't already have one, get a ClimateLine hose. It was a big help for me.

My doc gave me a starting setting of 8, and told me to change it to 9 during my followup. I find it very easy to breathe at those settings - pleasant actually.

I'm also still fiddling with the mask tightness (nasal mask). When it is adjusted right, I can't even feel it on my face once it gets to body temperature, and that's a pleasant surprise. I never thought I could get used to wearing a mask on my face while sleeping.

After about six weeks of use, it is now part of my normal routine, and I wouldn't think of sleeping without it. Good luck.

It's nice to look forward to a nice nights sleep , to wake rested and not like you've been up all night! Smile
Wished I could of, would of, started CPAP years ago!

Mr. Van Winkle Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 477 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,176 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.