Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Newly-diagnosed; Frequently gasping for air using new CPAP
Newly-diagnosed; Frequently gasping for air using new CPAP
Hey folks, I'm a complete newb to all of this, having been recently diagnosed with Apnea, and struggling to make it all work and finally get some damn sleep. After diagnosis I was gifted a PR System One REMstar Auto from a friend, and the medical supplier at my follow up appointment configured it all for me (I think it's on an auto setting?). I have yet to even really explore the menus or use any software at all, I have no clue what I'm doing here - I just want to sleep =(

I've been using it every night since the 23rd, or at least I've been trying to. I wear it as I transition to bed, and try to settle in and get used to having a thing on my face. And every time, shortly in as I get settled, I suddenly find myself gasping for air, requiring one or two heavy mouth breaths to really recover. It's starling and quite panic-inducing, and I've yet to handle wearing the device more than an hour each night.

I just have no idea what I'm doing here. I could probably make a follow up with my doc, and I'm prepared to do so, but my insurance has a high deductible and it's now the first of the year, so that's a concern. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can try on my own, anything I can tweak in the device configuration, any suggestions at all.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly-diagnosed; Frequently gasping for air using new CPAP
Sounds like you might have the machine on the default (low) settings with minimum pressure at 4 and max at 20. It's easy to access the settings and see what they are. Just follow these instructions http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions and let us know what your current settings are.

Also, download the free software #Sleepyhead and take a look at how your therapy is working out. Once you can post a screenshot of the details, we can really tell what is going on. The links in my signature describe how to organize and post charts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the instructions. Okay, on that menu I have MODE at "Auto" with an Auto Min/Max of 5/15.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2017, 01:49 PM)nonplayer Wrote: Thanks for the instructions. Okay, on that menu I have MODE at "Auto" with an Auto Min/Max of 5/15.

Five is too low a start pressure for most people and if you are feeling choked at the start of your session you should start raising it a bit at a time and continue until you feel like you are getting enough air.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's a great start. Now if you can get #Sleepyhead running, we can put some strategy behind the changes. Let's do this for now...on your machine, the menu lets you look at your therapy information. Highlight the INFO screen and select, now change to a 7 day average, and tell us what the results are for average and 90% pressure and average AHI, OA, CA and H. That will tell us your pressure and apnea events averaged over the past week. With that information I think we can get you on the right track.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I started I was starved for air with the prescribed setting. I raised the low pressure from 5 and now have it at 11.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nonplayer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone. I must say this is the single most helpful series of replies I've ever gotten on any new internet forum post I've ever made, ever (that's ever x3). Thanks for being awesome and helpful and welcoming.

I'll up the pressure a wee bit, and install that software, and try and get back soon with more of the requested data. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Please let us know how you are doing and what changes you have made. Your post may help many others to improve their sleep.

ThanksSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2017, 01:06 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Please let us know how you are doing and what changes you have made. Your post may help many others to improve their sleep.

ThanksSleep-well

Ah sure. So I've tweaked it a bit each night, I'm at a min of 8.5 right now. It seeeeems to be holding solid, so I'm going to hold steady for a few nights to see how it works out. So far no more gasping though, so that's a plus!

My biggest concern right now is just getting to sleep in the first place. Having a thing strapped to my face is a bit distracting, as is the difficulty in positioning (long time side-sleeper). The transition is rough.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 380 2 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  Gasping for air with FF mask Jskier 6 381 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.