Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Newly-diagnosed; Frequently gasping for air using new CPAP
RE: Newly-diagnosed; Frequently gasping for air using new CPAP
Also a long-time side-sleeper, I got a CPAP pillow - basically a thick, very firm pillow with cut-away or straight vertical sides. I sleep with my shoulder tucked up close so that my head is supported at the edge, and my mask and tubing hangs off the side. My hose comes over the back of the headboard so that I can roll over from side to side.
It's worth getting used to, because side sleeping does cut down on the obstructive apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been a long time side sleeper and that is what I do every night. I use a firm pillow that does not touch the FFM (Full Face Mask). It did not take long to adjust to the mask. I knew that I needed it and now feel comfortable.

You will adapt and improve your health, Next you will say "Why did it take me so long to start cpap"

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Can you recommend any pillows specifically? I'm currently using one that is temperature friendly and usually cold, which I love, but it doesn't work well at all with the side sleeping and the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started, my doctor told me to take a sleeping pill to get to sleep right away and then to wean off of it. I tried it and it seemed to work. I'd go to sleep right away and sleep through the night (pretty much). Now I don't need the pill anymore.
Maybe not for everyone, but it worked for me. It was just an over the counter pill.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a small sheep skin covered pillow that was laying around the house. It is cool and firm with flat sides. Works for me.

I am sure others will have suggestions.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Things FEEL like they're getting better. Currently I'm now at a stage where I'm no longer gasping, so that's good. BUt now I can't actually tell if I'm sleeping better. It's hard to explain. I think the whole "act of actually getting to sleep first" is now the biggest hurdle to overcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
I felt better quickly, but it took 4-6 months to see my oxygen levels rise and begin to understand how bad it was. I still have my share of problems but daily life is much better.

Post Reply Post Reply
check your ramp pressures and times. sometimes a machine will start out with low pressures and slow ramp time leaving you gasping for breath for up to 30 minutes. Some people prefer not to use ramp at all
Post Reply Post Reply
I also am a new user using a DreamStation CPAP Auto and frequently gasp for air at the start.  The pressure displayed is 5.5 but I cannot find anywhere that this pressure can be increased.  Does that mean that it is preset and cannot be changed
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you a CPAP setup manual for your DreamStation? There's a link at the top of the page where you can find how to request it. It should provide the instructions for adjusting the settings to work optimally for you.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 289 8 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 51 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 303 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  Gasping for air with FF mask Jskier 6 381 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.