Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Optimizing Dreamstation, Autoset for Her after Post 50
RE: Should I adjust my DreamStation minimum pressure?
(09-24-2020, 06:51 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Sleeprider and Fred both said I would do better on a ResMed, so I bought it my self without insurance.  and my numbers have been 3 events or less ever since.  There are a lot of people the dreamstation just does not work as well as the ResMed..

I spent the week trying to get the Airsense 10 Autoset. My insurance will pay for it (!!) but the place that did my sleep study doesn't carry it (that's why they gave me the Dreamstation--it's the only machine they sell!). They had some off-site doctor read the results of my study, and I've never even seen the guy. So I called his office, and he won't give me a prescription for the Airsense 10 unless I come into his office and bring my Dreamstation. With Covid, I'd really rather not be doing a completely unnecessary visit to a doctor's office. So I'm trying to see if my GP will write the prescription. What a pain. After seeing the results from my old ResMed, I feel like I really might do better with the Airsense 10 Autoset. 

This all came about because a friend of mine asked if she could borrow my old machine. She has extreme daytime sleepiness and bad snoring, and  just got the results of her sleep study today. She was told she has "moderate disturbances" but not enough to be considered apnea by the insurance company. Her doctor told her to borrow someone's machine to test it out, and if it helps her, he will write a letter to the insurance company. Why he won't just write the letter to the insurance company regardless is annoying. A CPAP is not that expensive. I don't think I can loan my friend my old RedMed because it's fixed pressure. I assume she'd need to borrow my Dreamstation once I get a new machine? She'll buy her own machine if mine ends up helping her and her insurance won't cover it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your current supplier has an exclusive distribution agreement with Philips Respironics. You must change suppliers. These agreements are profitable for Philips and the supplier, and limit patient choice. Anyone should determine before becoming a customer, is a supplier has an exclusive agreement with any company, or if they are able to select the best therapy from a variety of sources. Exclusive sales and distributor agreements are very aggressively marketed by Philps and allows sellers access to discounted equipment, and perhaps rebates and incentives. Distributors, stores and clinics that are bound by these agreements must exclusively sell Philips products. This is NOT for your benefit as a patient.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your old machine is a fixed Cpap BUT she can change the nunber it just can be set on 1 mumber for inhale and exhale instead of different numbers for each
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2020, 07:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Exclusive sales and distributor agreements are very aggressively marketed by Philps and allows sellers access to discounted equipment, and perhaps rebates and incentives.  Distributors, stores and clinics that are bound by these agreements must exclusively sell Philips products.  This is NOT for your benefit as a patient.

I wish I had known this then, but I know this now thanks to this forum. My GP referred me to the clinic/DME because they weren't affiliated with a hospital and were therefore less expensive. But there's no such thing as a free lunch! I'm going to tell him at my next visit that this particular place is not working for the patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2020, 07:28 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Your old machine is a fixed Cpap BUT she can change the nunber it just can be set on 1 mumber for inhale and exhale instead of different numbers for each

Her doctor told her to set it from 5 to 15 if she was going to borrow an auto machine. What number should she set the fixed CPAP? It was on 8 for me--I guess she could try that? Maybe she can try taking a nap first and see how that goes. I'm hoping I'm able to get my new CPAP next week (HA!), in which case I'll loan her my Dreamstation.
Post Reply Post Reply
8 might be strong for a first night I would start at 6. Her exhale will be at full pressure. That’s why we set epr at 2 or 3 to bring down the exhale pressure. On a Cpap you can’t do that. Then post the OSCAR and we can suggest a higher pressure if she needs it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have a DreamStation.  I'm trying to figure out where you got the graphics that you attached to your post.  Can you tell me?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2020, 04:46 PM)Sleepingquilter Wrote: I too have a DreamStation.  I'm trying to figure out where you got the graphics that you attached to your post.  Can you tell me?

Download the OSCAR software. There are links in my signature line to guide you.
But please start a new thread when you are ready to post data, and that will become your own therapy thread.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still waiting for my new ResMed machine--the supplier that is supposed to be working with my insurance is taking forever to do even the smallest things and it's extremely frustrating. In the meantime, I'm still using the Dreamstation and I have a question about my leaks. The daily "total leaks" seem to range from min. 30 to max. 50. Is that a lot? I've been waking up in the night with dry eyes and extremely dry mouth lately, and it's really annoying.

Let me know if I'm not posting the right info here. 

Post Reply Post Reply
I've not gained expert leak rate reader as yet, but it appears as it's a mix of mask and mouth leaks. I'm seeing differences in the leak lines, some sharp peaks with other smaller waves mixed in. With the dry mouth and likely mask leaks aimed at the eyes addition on the info, I'd say this as well indicates both leak types are the guilty party.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 170 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,279 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 192 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 169 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,840 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.