Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Philips DreamStation Overpressurization
Philips DreamStation Overpressurization
Howdy Y'all!

I've lurked around here before, and today I'm tired and frustrated enough to start an account.  

I started using CPAP therapy in 2012...My father passed away in 2011, and I am rather confident that his untreated apnea was a big factor in his health issues.  All the usual 'big guy' stuff - Irish/German heritage (but didn't drink!), overweight, high blood pressure, heart attacks, bypass surgery etc.  So I went and got a sleep study done and I was told what I knew for a long time - my breathing stopped when I was sleeping.  If I didn't know about apnea, I never would have guessed it....I worked hard in the energy industry, was able to work for 12-18 hours without an issue for years. Only real indicator that I had was my bunkmates offshore telling me that I would stop breathing was when I sleeping.  Anyhow, I got an S9 by ResMed and it worked well for years.  Took me some time to find a mask that I liked, but I settled with the Mirage Liberty by ResMed, and never looked back.  I was prescribed at the time a pressure of about 10-12, if I remember correctly.

About a year ago, my machine started running really loud, and I could tell that the pressure just wasn't there anymore....my beloved machine was dying.  I went to my family doctor (previously, a company Dr. sent me to his neurologist - found out later that the dude was a national leader in apnea study) and he fixed me up with an at-home sleep study.  That sucked, but whatever it took to get a new machine, I was in.  

I ended up getting prescribed a Philips DreamStation Auto CPAP.  It was strange at first, but within a couple of weeks I'd fallen in love with the machine - it was quiet, and whatever it did while I was sleeping, I was waking up feeling GREAT.  I was told that it was set form 4-20 by the medical supplier, and I asked if that was common, as it seemed to be a very wide range, and the provider stated that it was a normal range.  

A few months (maybe 6 months) ago, I started waking up in the middle of the night with my mask being blown off of my face from the pressure of the machine.  This was completely new.  And it was then that I discovered this forum.  It appeared that others had had similar frustrations with their DreamStation APAPs.  

Note - I work offshore in the oilfield, so my internet is slow slow slow, and there are a lot of things that I just cannot do out here.  

That said, I was able to figure out that I could see the pressure that I was being fed from my machine when it was waking me up.  Typically, until recently, it would wake me up from pressure pushing my mask off my face at around 14-16.  Last night when I woke up, it was at 19.  

My remedy for this has been to turn off the machine and restart.  But last night, after being on shift for over 12 hours, I was awakend 3 times.  And I'm officially frustrated.  

In my musings around the board, I have seen a ton of apps and resources to figure out what is going on with a machine, but with my lazy net and the minimal time that I can devote to this, I have not been able to formulate a plan for how to troubleshoot or fix this issue.  

What are the apps that I would need to troubleshoot this?  Or do I just need to go into the provider mode (thanks for the information BTW!!!) found in this like to lower the high setting to 14-15?  

Looking for bit of an APAP mentor here....

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips DreamStation Overpressurization
Download oscar and follow the links in my signature to post up some graphs
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2020, 02:56 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Download oscar and follow the links in my signature to post up some graphs

Thanks for responding!!

I feel silly saying this, but CPAP data is not my forte.  If you want to build an oil field under a mile of water, I'm your boy.  This...not so much.

So, I tried to download Oscar to my computer.  It's not wanting to open up.  I'm guessing because it is a company machine and I'm not an admin - I don't have the password to let it run.  Is there any other way to get the data and the Oscar program to sync up?  

Because I haven't made it that far, I don't know how it all works yet.  I'm assuming there is an SD card or something in the CPAP that I need to pull and has the CPAP's use history on it?  

Can Oscar be loaded to a phone and used or is it PC only?

Thanks!!

subsea
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2020, 03:40 AM)subsea Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 02:56 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Download oscar and follow the links in my signature to post up some graphs

Thanks for responding!!

I feel silly saying this, but CPAP data is not my forte.  If you want to build an oil field under a mile of water, I'm your boy.  This...not so much.

So, I tried to download Oscar to my computer.  It's not wanting to open up.  I'm guessing because it is a company machine and I'm not an admin - I don't have the password to let it run.  Is there any other way to get the data and the Oscar program to sync up?  

Because I haven't made it that far, I don't know how it all works yet.  I'm assuming there is an SD card or something in the CPAP that I need to pull and has the CPAP's use history on it?  

Can Oscar be loaded to a phone and used or is it PC only?

Thanks!!

subsea

Need to work on getting on a PC... easier to read or maybe at least an Ipod.

I have an Auto CPAP... and shortly will be on Bi level PAP... I too stop breathing periodically.  BPAP is inspiration PAP and Expiration PAP ventilation. If you stop breathing you're looking at Central Apnea (a period of at least 10 seconds) as well. Look over my thread titled "Pressure Plateau".

BTW I like you mask....wish I had one like it this spring. Congestion was bad. Does it shift and break your seal ?
Post Reply Post Reply
subsea,
Yes, there should be an SD card in your DreamStation.  If not, you can purchase one fairly cheap.  Use that card to upload the data to your computer.  OSCAR cannot be loaded to a phone.  There are links in my signature line to guide you.

In the meantime, order the Clinicians manual for your machine.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

For now, until we can see some data, raise the minimum pressure to 6cm and maximum pressure to 14cm.
Set the AFlex to 1 or 2.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

I agree with the info from the others about attempts to get OSCAR and that it is PC based.

If the mask is moving or leaking a lot when the pressures go higher, one of two things is going wrong that comes to mind, and it could be both together. One is that the mask isn't adjusted correctly. Address this by viewing mask primer wiki in my signature. Typically for myself, I use what ResMed calls "mask fit", so try to see if your DreamStation has something similar.

The idea behind this is to run at full pressure and adjust the mask straps until leaks are minimal. This does not mean tightening so that discomfort or pain are introduced. If you need things like chain binders or come alongs to tighten enough so leaks stop, shop for a better mask selection.

Secondly, consider if the cushion size requirement has changed. If you have dealt with weight changes, the cushion size may also need modified. Address both and see where you are. If you get to this point and leaks are still not well controlled, the mask needs replaced with another choice.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,963 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,532 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,220 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,857 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,895 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 478 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,234 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.